• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    My son has shown an interest in hunting. Even though I’m a born WV boy, I’ve never been. We did the hunter safety course, got a rifle, started buying camo (lol), and a friend is taking us out for the junior hunt weekend. My son is excited. This could turn into a def father and son yearly activity if we enjoy it.

Any advice for what we should pack in our new cool Realtree camo backpacks?

TD

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What kind of hunting are you guys trying first? And congrats on your new adventure. Just remember, hunting isn't always killing. Enjoy the full experience.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Very cool. Doing the same with my son. I've never gotten a deer but we went out scouting today in the woods for some ground blind spots for bow hunting.

As for backpack there's a lot you could pack or just go minimal.

First Aid kit
    Flash lights
    Water
    Knife
    Orange ribbon or tape
    deer call
    Phone back up battery pack
    Wet wipes
    Gloves
    Marker or pen
    Snacks.....

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Beer :-) or some water
    Nitril gloves
    Gal sized ziplocks (heart and liver)
    Some Paper towels/reg or small not white towel.
    LED light clip to cap or head mounted for hands free field dressing.
    Dragging strap. I like the dual person version with 2 loops.
    I usually pack a tri leg adjustable stool w/ a ball bearing seat that rotates. If this is too much, go for a belt attached seat cushion.
    Compass
    whistle
    small binoculars

Amazon product ASIN B00JYEBUPW(might want to buy the gut hook blade while your are at it.

Good luck this season.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Here's what I carry:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    What kind of hunting are you guys trying first? And congrats on your new adventure. Just remember, hunting isn't always killing. Enjoy the full experience.
    This, keep expectations low. As both of you are learning to hunt together.

The key: have fun, even if it means buying hamburger at the store and calling it deer burger to the girls left at home. Just remember to remove the price. :P

If you do manage to harvest something, that is a bonus.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Confidence, expect to get a deer and see deer. Enjoy being out. If you don't get a deer then that's ok but look for them, expect them, be quiet, be alert. Listen, watch, take it all in, pay attention. The deer are there, watching, listening, sniffing, alert, trying not to be seen nor shot.
    My list is hunting license, knife, drag rope, water bottle, gun, ammo, pull up rope if hunting from a tree stand.
    Between myself, two of my sons and young grandkids, we harvested over 400 deer fair and square, legally in season without special places to hunt. All three of my sons told me the best, most special advice they ever got was from me, expect to see deer, be ready. Couldn't tell you how many hunters have said about seeing a deer, nice deer, buck, "I wasn't expecting to see a deer!" WTF!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A few tricks I've learned through the years; Binocs, snacks(crackers and cheese, a sugary treat like tootsie pop, and some kind of nuts(cashews, pistachios, etc.), sharp knife and gloves, simple first aid, a warm hat, a drag rope, a compass, tags, good small flashlight, water and anything else you think you'll need.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    My son has shown an interest in hunting. Even though I’m a born WV boy, I’ve never been. We did the hunter safety course, got a rifle, started buying camo (lol), and a friend is taking us out for the junior hunt weekend. My son is excited. This could turn into a def father and son yearly activity if we enjoy it.

Any advice for what we should pack in our new cool Realtree camo backpacks?

TD
    Awesome, some of my best memories are hunting with my son. Hopefully we get to keep making memories for a long time to come.

The gear we carry depends on where/how we are hunting. Mostly we hunt small wood lots, or farm fields. Either way we aren’t far from the truck and ATV. With that being said, we all carry pretty light. I usually just carry some extra ammo, something to drink, an apple or granola bar, a range finder, and of course my cell phone.
    The knives, skinning gloves, ropes, extra clothes, flashlights and 1st aid kit all stay in the truck.

Of course if you are a long walk from where you are parked, you need more gear.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Take your hunters safety courses seriously.
    A six year old girl was shot in the face with a SG the other day when her 14 YO brother who passed a Hunters Safety course at 8, pulled the trigger on her at relatively close range in a fit of excitement dove hunting.
    One young child in Hopkins and a brother who nearly mortally wounded a sibling is not what its all about.
    The rest will come naturally with dedication, commitment and respect for the sport.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Trust your eyes. If you think you may have seen motion, you most probably did. And you'll notice some sort of motion before you note the form of a deer.

The woods is alive with motion. When you're attuned to motion in the deer woods, you're looking for horizontal motion, in what is a largely vertical world.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Dont rely on gadgets . Basic things will get you deer. You will not fool a deer's nose. Learn how to use wind direction to your benefit.
    Set yourself up to be in the shadows at all times. Have something big behind you to break up your outline.
    Stay as still and quiet as possible. Dont let metal things clang together,candy wrappers crinkle, etc.
    Deer notice movement. Wait til they cant see you to get ready for the shot. As soon as you have a clear ,steady shot for the vitals, squeeze the trigger NOW!!!
    Dont be afraid to ask a question to experienced hunters. We were all beginners making beginner mistakes at one time.
    Hunting crop field edges in the late afternoon til dark, is a great way to see deer.

Good Luck !!!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Another thing I’d like to add. I’m not sure how old your son is, but if he’s young a hunting blind would probably be best. It covers your movements a lot which can save your hunt. I’ve taken several kids out hunting before my son was old enough to hunt. They all had success, in the blind. Haha, I’ve had to wake kids up to shoot deer before too!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Don't forget a good headlamp and extra batteries.

Clothes to keep warm, if hunting rifle season. License, knife, chair, orange vest, water and snack. First aid kit. Rag to wipe off blood.

Camo isn't as important as warm and dry. You can get away with just wearing earth tones, or only your outer layer being camo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom