• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Been wanting to learn to hunt for years and made the first overt strides last year when I purchased my first gun(s), took the hunter safety course, bought my license and then attended a DNR sponsored women's hunt.

It's getting to the time of year where I feel like I ought to be doing something to further my hunting dreams... but I am kind of stalled. What's my next step? I ultimately want to hunt deer. I love venison (I am basically hunting for food, because I love eating wild game and no one I know since leaving college hunts!)

I live in SE Baltimore County... and currently own two different shotguns, neither of which has a rifled barrel-- but my 20 ga shoots rifled slugs pretty accurately even without a scope! I have been shooting it a bit at Free State, which is the closest range to my house, but Free State is indoors and has limited range, and no outdoor stuff.

So what do I do next? Some options that have occurred to me...

#1: Buy a bow. And learn to use it. But where do I shoot it? I live in a townhouse. No one will put up with that in my tiny backyard. Need someplace close to learn to use it.

#2: I need a tree stand... I think. A climber? Seems like everyone uses tree stands to bow hunt deer around here. So this is a necessity?

#3: Buy a rifled barrel shotgun... but use it to hunt... where?

I really enjoyed hunting geese... but it seems like a rich persons sport these days, sadly.... and I am far from rich. I have a very limited amount of extra money to play with in a given year and last year I spent it all on three guns, the DNR hunt and an indoor range membership.

Now what??

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Buy a bow its a longer season and depending on where you hunt some bucks will only have sex on the mind and not even notice u. There are public parks like lake need wood that have archery ranges.

You do need a tree stand. I'm still young (kinda) and love my basic self climber but the basket stands on sale are the best bang for the buck.

Lastly you need property.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Hunting skills are acquired slowly through years of practice. The time spent in the field should be as rewarding as any game success you have, or you will likely quit hunting.
    This is the time of year to "tune up" your gear, then start scouting possible locations.
    You have the basic gear needed to start hunting, I wouldn't buy too much more until you discover what methods you prefer, where and what you will hunt. Start off looking through the DNR info on WMA's and State property where you can hunt. Then take your shotgun and go out into the woods for squirrel, all the time scouting for Deer sign. This way you will likely learn where they are and are not, what type of terrain you'll hunt and any other gear you might need. Then by the time shotgun season arrives, you will be more prepared. Keep in mind things like tree stands have to be carried in on public land, so how far you have to walk in can limit their use. Also it takes time to master a bow, so I would suggest hunt a few seasons to see if you like it, then get into bows. Above all just like everything else, try and get out there as much as possible to develop skills.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    How about this, I will take you duck hunting for wood ducks and mallards.
    No strings attached. I have been waterfowling my whole life and would love to
    Give you a chance to experience it too.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    For the shooting part, join the AGC. You can practice shooting slugs on the 100 yd outdoor range, practice hunting birds by using the Trap range, and there is an archery range if you get a bow.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    If you do get proficent with a bow. There is a fair amout of public land. Liberty and prettyboy watershed.

Usually I take my shotguns for a walk outside of Fredrick. Dickerson and Monocacy.
    And Howard county come to mind quick. All public land.

I meat hunt, and usually average 6 - 8 deer for freezer. All off of public land.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    look on craigslist but be wary of scams...sportsmans guide has lots of deals on climbers. You prob can shoot out past 100yds with slug but you can get closer to deer or let them come to you. If you get a climber practice short distances up and down a tree to get used to it. Always wear your harness.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    i personally would not buy any climber second hand..(what we teach at hunter safety class). known fact: tree stand fall is the main cause of hunting accidents in MD.

archery range.. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=80060

rifled barrel shotgun can be expensive.. sabot rounds can range from $16 and up.. but a decent smooth bore will do fine around here in MD. unless you hunting in a farm land and plan to shoot long distance.. (80+ yards).

Dec 31, 2012
    The lack of firearm accessible hunting in SE Baltimore County has always been frustrating. The bow will open up many options for you that are not too far from home.
    Consider a crossbow if you go that route.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    The lack of firearm accessible hunting in SE Baltimore County has always been frustrating. The bow will open up many options for you that are not too far from home.

:thumbsup:you could also try borrowing someones crossbow. keeps costs down till you save up enough to buy one...

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Usually I take my shotguns for a walk outside of Fredrick. Dickerson and Monocacy. And Howard county come to mind quick. All public land.

I meat hunt, and usually average 6 - 8 deer for freezer. All off of public land.

This is heartening. Do you mean you do not hunt from a stand? It has been frustrating reading about MD hunting and all you hear is "private land," 'cuz I don't know anyone who owns land beyond a postage stamp lot.

i personally would not buy any climber second hand..(what we teach at hunter safety class). known fact: tree stand fall is the main cause of hunting accidents in MD.

Yeah, no-- if I buy a climber it'll be new. I don't buy rock climbing gear second hand-- not gonna buy tree climbing gear second hand either.

I probably would prefer a crossbow because I injured my sternum in college and it is difficult for me to draw back bows-- even ones that are youth centric. I did not think you were allowed to hunt with crossbows in bow season, though-- not true?

PM sent! :party29::thumbsup:

Hunting skills are acquired slowly through years of practice. The time spent in the field should be as rewarding as any game success you have, or you will likely quit hunting.
    This is the time of year to "tune up" your gear, then start scouting possible locations.
    You have the basic gear needed to start hunting, I wouldn't buy too much more until you discover what methods you prefer, where and what you will hunt. Start off looking through the DNR info on WMA's and State property where you can hunt. Then take your shotgun and go out into the woods for squirrel, all the time scouting for Deer sign. This way you will likely learn where they are and are not, what type of terrain you'll hunt and any other gear you might need. Then by the time shotgun season arrives, you will be more prepared. Keep in mind things like tree stands have to be carried in on public land, so how far you have to walk in can limit their use. Also it takes time to master a bow, so I would suggest hunt a few seasons to see if you like it, then get into bows. Above all just like everything else, try and get out there as much as possible to develop skills.

This is great advice. I spend a lot of time in the woods locally hiking and fishing. Last year I saw the biggest buck of my life sitting with my back against a tree about 30 yards off the waterfall trail at Patapsco State Park in the Avalon/Orange Grove area. It was an 8 pointer, but the antlers were THICK, massive. We were hiking and decided to get off the crowded, busy trail, away from mountain bikers. It was an amazing moment-- sitting there against a tree with that big buck 15 feet away, snuffing because he could smell my friends perfume but couldn't see us in camo/earth tones clothing against the trunk. I definitely live for moments like that.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    A bow is a great way to add to your hunting season along with just getting more time in the woods. I also get frustrated with the lack of gun hunting locally for deer.

But I am blessed with great private land for waterfowl and some bow hunting.

Offer is also good for late season sea duck hunting.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    A bow is a great way to add to your hunting season along with just getting more time in the woods. I also get frustrated with the lack of gun hunting locally for deer.

But I am blessed with great private land for waterfowl and some bow hunting.

Offer is also good for late season sea duck hunting.

I have heard and read that ducks are much faster, and harder to hunt. I am not certain I have the shotgunning skills to hit them, but I'd like to try, and I am planning on hitting some of the local trap places this fall to get some practice in with my guns. I was not a terrible shot with my borrowed 12 ga last time I shot trap-- hit 13/25 clays and that was my first time out with a shotgun. I've been shooting a lot more since then, target-wise. Time to get some moving targets though.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    check your local county laws but from the DNR site...

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/vertical-bow-and-crossbow-regulations/

Vertical Bow and Crossbow Regulations

Vertical Bow Regulations
    •Vertical bows (compound, recurve, or straight limb) may be used to hunt nutria, woodchucks, and all game birds and game mammals, including migratory game birds, with the exception of beavers, weasels, mink, muskrats, and river otters.
    •Draw locking devices are legal on all vertical bows except when hunting waterfowl.
    •Release aids are permitted.
    •For hunting deer and bear, the vertical bow shall have a full draw and pull of not less than 30 pounds.

Crossbow Regulations
    •Crossbows may be used to hunt nutria, woodchucks, and all game birds and game mammals with the exception of beavers, weasels, mink, muskrats, river otters, and waterfowl.
    •The use of telescopic sights is permitted on all crossbows.
    •A crossbow used for deer or bear hunting shall have a draw of not less than 75 pounds.
    •All crossbows should have a working safety.
    •It is unlawful to have a loaded crossbow in, on or leaning against any vehicle. An unloaded crossbow (a cocked crossbow without a bolt or arrow in the firing position) may be in, on or leading against a vehicle.

Regulations Pertaining to Both Vertical Bows and Crossbows
    •Arrows used for deer or bear hunting must have a sharpened broadhead with metal points and a minimum width of 7⁄8 of an inch.
    •The vertical bow and crossbow may be used for hunting deer during the Deer Firearms Season and Muzzleloader Season, in accordance with Firearms and Muzzleloader Season regulations.
    •Firearms may not be carried while hunting deer during the Archery Season.
    •The use of poisoned or explosive tipped arrows is not permitted.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I have heard and read that ducks are much faster, and harder to hunt. I am not certain I have the shotgunning skills to hit them, but I'd like to try, and I am planning on hitting some of the local trap places this fall to get some practice in with my guns. I was not a terrible shot with my borrowed 12 ga last time I shot trap-- hit 13/25 clays and that was my first time out with a shotgun. I've been shooting a lot more since then, target-wise. Time to get some moving targets though.

Well it's my job to put the birds in your lap, I can do that. I would say send circle shooter a pm and spend some time with him at lock raven. He is a dam good teacher when it comes to shotgunning.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    You could always "cold knock" on farmers doors around where you live...many farmers would love to have deer killed to protect their crops..make sure you take a friend with you that is armed just in case...not saying farmers are bad but you never know what will happen. Most farmers are decent folks.

crowmd

Mar 3, 2013
    think about black powder gun kill two deer with one gun that will let you hunt bp season and shotgun season and be cheaper

Dec 31, 2012
    I think the lack of practice areas for BP is going to crimp that idea a bit for a new person. I'm for it myself and am hoping to do the same but I think the bow/crossbow is the better way to add on for the season when practice is limited.
    Gunpowder Park Hammerman Area (Dundee Creek Marina) has an archery range where practice can be had in the SE Baltimore County region.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

OP, Wes is a great guy to go with. He knows what he's doing and has a great set-up. It is ideal for a first-timer. I do hope you follow though and take him up on his offer.

You should see the trophy soccer ball I have hanging on my wall from the last time I was out with him. :D

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Willing to take a walk squirrel season if interested. Great way to get out into the woods to learn more about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom