• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Draeger204

Whiplash
    Sep 8, 2015
    Rockville, MD
    If it takes longer than 6 days, call MSP on the number provided on their site. Also ensure that you are using Internet Explorer when logging into your account. You should get a certificated shortly, but you must wait until you get the HQL before you can buy, rent, and receive a handgun.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You can rent at a range/store premises without the HQL.

If the firearm is to be removed fom the premises for "consideration" then an HQL is required.

Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    If it takes longer than 6 days, call MSP on the number provided on their site. Also ensure that you are using Internet Explorer when logging into your account. You should get a certificated shortly, but you must wait until you get the HQL before you can buy, rent, and receive a handgun.

Not quite:

1 - The MSP has 30 days to process, so, other than a polite , courtesy email or call, nothing to be told

2- I use Chrome or Safari

3 - There are dealers that will verify your HQL once gone active, without you having the actual card on hand

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP has stated you must physically have the card before an FFL is to transfer a firearm.

The statute says you musr POSSESS AND PRESENT the HQL to the FFL.

The MSP site says you must POSSESS the HQL. Having it active in the MSP system is not possession. Please cite a dealer who will do a transfer without the purchaser possessing the HQL first.

COMAR
    .26 Handgun Qualification License — Generally.

A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person shall possess a valid Handgun Qualification License before the person may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun.
    B. A person is not required to possess a Handgun Qualification License if the person:
    (1) Possesses valid credentials or retirement credentials from a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any local law enforcement agency in the State;
    (2) Is an active or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard, and possesses a valid military identification card; or
    (3) Purchases, rents, or receives an antique, curio, or relic firearm, as defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
    C. A person who has a valid permit issued under Public Safety Article, Title 5, Subtitle 3, Annotated Code of Maryland may submit a written request to the Secretary for a Handgun Qualification License without submitting the Handgun Qualification License application or fee under Regulation .28 of this chapter.

Attachments

• hql.JPG
      hql.JPG
      44.2 KB · Views: 353
    Last edited:

Coldvayne13

Jun 4, 2013
    They're definitely speeding up 2 guys at my work applied and it was about 9 business days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    No special email , just their common one

MSP.HQL@maryland.gov
    Thank you. I sent in an email a few nights ago and received a reply the next morning at 0706,
    "I was able to review and approve your HQL application this morning. Your card will be printed on Friday and mailed to you at the address listed on your application."

Looks like my app must have somehow fallen through the proverbial cracks. Although I'm still frustrated it happened, I'm satisfied that they responded so quickly when I sent them an email.

Submitted 8/13, active 9/8.

clint west

Aug 29, 2015
    maryland
    mine was Aug 26 fingerprinted/ filed application next day DMMH approved, Aug 28 CJIS done. Approval- Sept 4, received card Sept 9

Nothing other than DMMH had updated the checklist online

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    FWIW, I e-mailed to inquire about status this morning:

Good morning,

I submitted my HQL application on 8/20. Much of the steps in processing seemed to go quickly, however there are three items that were marked as "Incomplete" and there have been no further updates on the application since 8/25.

According to the key, "Incompleted" would mean that additional information was needed, but as far as I know, I haven't been contacted for any more information.

Is there any information I can provide?

Thank you

Reply:
    An Incomplete Status means that we are still in the process of completing our background investigation. If there is anything that needs clarification someone will contact you

Maybe there's some truth to common names taking longer to process.

mistaforty

May 25, 2013
    UPPER MARLBORO, MD
    Mine was submitted 8/13,
    Everything was complete on 8/17 except NICS and JIS, which are still both "incomplete".

A right delayed is a right denied, and the fact that we have to pay $100+ for this bulls*&t to have our rights delayed/denied makes me blood-boiling furious. :mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

Similarly I submitted the 11th around 1600 hrs. Everything was completed the 12th except the big 3 And stayed pending until 9/8. Interested to see if that courtesy email helps so I can advise students. Good luck

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    You can see which of your namesakes might be causing you grief by querying the Maryland JIS system: http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/

Hey, that's neat. I didn't know you could search like that, but I guess it's public record, so it makes sense. Still, the only entry under my full name is in fact me. Maybe someone who gets a speeding ticket and pay the fine promptly is considered to be of questionable character.

There are a few more results for my first and last and M.I., though even those (which are not me) seem fairly innocuous.

Is there a national equivalent search engine?

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Still, the only entry under my full name is in fact me. ... There are a few more results for my first and last and M.I., though even those (which are not me) seem fairly innocuous.

For me, there were no hits under my full name, but there were for first and last, no middle initial.. I'm a little worried that they don't know which of us with the same name did the crimes and which didn't. Hopefully the view MSP gets has DL # or SSN to help verify identity.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP looks at like 17 databases during a background check. It can be more than just a similar sounding name that can cause a delay.

Attachments

• databases checked by MSP.JPG
      databases checked by MSP.JPG
      59.9 KB · Views: 255

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Similarly I submitted the 11th around 1600 hrs. Everything was completed the 12th except the big 3 And stayed pending until 9/8. Interested to see if that courtesy email helps so I can advise students. Good luck
    Looks like mine just went active today... What's that, like two or three days since my inquiry? Maybe it helped.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

EunosFD

May 27, 2009
    MD
    Just got my actual HQL card in the mail today, the 16th. So all in all just over 2wks for me; which included a federal holiday.

DollZ

Sep 11, 2015
    Found this very helpful from another thread when filling out the HQL online
    The system is based in Internet Explorer. If this is not the browser you are using, please switch to Internet Explorer. If you are using Internet Explorer 11 or newer it may be a compatibility problem. Before logging in on the Log-on page for the site, move cursor to the Control Bar Tabs at the top of the page and right click. Choose “Menu Bar” to expose “Tools” above log-in page. Select “Tools”, then select "Compatibility View". This will allow Internet Explorer to work with the site.

Wish I had known this when I was trying to fill out mine

OK nothing but Paid and DMMH showed as checked till mine suddenly went to Active. Same seems to be the case for my husbands who is in process now

Anyway I am Happily All OK Now! :)

Submitted 8/29
    Active 9/9
    Card arrived 9/16

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom