• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Before I contact MSP to ask them, anyone know off hand if the "within 3 year" requirement applies to when you took the hunter education class so I can get my HQL? I am at less than 12 months right now, but I am not in a hurry to get my HQL as I probably won't look to buy one for at least a couple more years.

Obviously if the 3 year but applies to hunters Ed classes too, well then I'll just have to get my HQL before the clock runs out.

Thanks

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component

Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    ​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

Please show where it says 3 years.I'm not trying to argue and/or give false info.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Within 3 years prior to the submission of an HQL application, an applicant must demonstrate a satisfactory completion of a Firearms Safety Training Course.

When I did my HQL application and talked to MSP, they said the three year rule applied to ANY applicable firearms safety course, even a substitute like Hunter Safety. It's possible I talked to someone who was wrong, but given that the Hunter Safety course is simply a substitute, I doubt it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Okay now that it is pointed out again and I re-read that section, it does sound like if you've ever taken a hunters Ed class you are exempt from the training component; not that it can be used as a replacement.

Good to know, though probably as I am getting up on 34 months from when I took mine I'll give MSP a call to confirm.

I would really like a 1911 in 9mm or .45 some day and a wheel gun, probably a 4" 38sp or similar. But they are pretty far down my list and till I get a vacation/hunting/"mountain" property I don't have a real need for one. I'd personally rather use a shotgun for home defense so my only real use would be fun at the range. A big property out further and doing stuff around it I'd rather pack a pistol in a tanker holster than hike around it with a rifle. I did notice the Rock Island M200 a couple of days ago and it has some pretty favorable reviews, for $230 or so it is damned tempting, but then I factor in HQL costs and time and convincing my wife costs and time and I figure I am better off just shelving it for another couple of years and focus on what I "need" more, like a 20ga to get my wife in to trap shooting, an SKS for deer and a really good time at the range and something in .223

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If you're going to ask MSP questions, call MSP Licensing Division Firearms Section. I have been given wrong information from troopers at MSP barracks during firearms transfers.

While the rule says you must have completed firearms training within 3 years before the HQL application, there is a separate section stating exemptions to the training component ( see here: http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx . None of the listed exemptions has anything directly to do with training EXCEPT that Hunter's Safety is EXPLICITLY stated as an EXEMPTION to training....not an acceptable form of training. The training that must have been done within 3 years is Handgun specific training (note it must be performed by a qualified handgun Instructor ....whatever that is as THAT isn't clear and that said training must have specific components to it). I have had customers come into Scott's Gunsmithing telling me they used a Hunter's Safety course from years ago to exempt themselves from training. A few have reported taking the Texas Hunter's Safety and using that (it is all online)

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    When I did my HQL application and talked to MSP, they said the three year rule applied to ANY applicable firearms safety course, even a substitute like Hunter Safety. It's possible I talked to someone who was wrong, but given that the Hunter Safety course is simply a substitute, I doubt it.

MSP was wrong, you can use a 20 year old Hunter Safety course.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    MSP was wrong, you can use a 20 year old Hunter Safety course.

This.

However, you must have the Hunter Safety Card or certificate that you got from the course in order to upload as part of your HQL application prove that you passed the course.

And for what it's worth, the hunter safety course can be from any state, even if it's 100% online with no live fire component.

Read this: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=132416
    And then read this: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=152111

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well mine is in my wallet with my license. Can't find anything that says you should carry it, but the one DNR officer I ran in to this season told me next time to have my hunter safety card with the license next time as they like to see it.

Had to resist saying I like to see a hot chicks goods too, but I don't have a right to see them. Figure why not just tuck it in my wallet.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    When I applied for my HQL back in 2013 the hunter safety course that I took back in the 90's exempted me from the training. And yes I uploaded a scanned image of the card.

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Well mine is in my wallet with my license. Can't find anything that says you should carry it, but the one DNR officer I ran in to this season told me next time to have my hunter safety card with the license next time as they like to see it.

Had to resist saying I like to see a hot chicks goods too, but I don't have a right to see them. Figure why not just tuck it in my wallet.
    I typically carry it on me when hunting along with the license.

See below:
    081a1ecb7ecb9c8d44ce74fe9580b235.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom