• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    This one kind of ties into the what is your top ten list. I've been looking a long time for an original Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in a varmint caliber, preferably 220 Swift. The main criteria was the rifle had to be original and it had to be affordable, the affordable part has been the hard one as decent 220 Swifts go for 1500 to 3500.
    First table I went to today had a well worn but not abused Model 70 Standard sitting there, picked it up and low and behold it was 220 Swift, look the gun over and it is all original, original peeling finish, butt plate, no extra holes.
    Went outside and did some quick research and went back in and made an offer that was accepted. Rifle has an old Boyt sling, clear El Paso Weaver K6 and 5 boxes of Norma ammo.
    This will be my new varmint destroyer, may look into moving one of my higher power Unertl's on it and making it a real vintage varmint rifle

Attachments

• IMG_5698.jpg
      IMG_5698.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 531
    • IMG_5699.jpg
      IMG_5699.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 531
    • IMG_5701.jpg
      IMG_5701.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 528
    • IMG_5702.jpg
      IMG_5702.jpg
      81.3 KB · Views: 529
    • IMG_5704.jpg
      IMG_5704.jpg
      82.6 KB · Views: 528
    • IMG_5705.jpg
      IMG_5705.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 533
    • IMG_5706.jpg
      IMG_5706.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 529

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great rifle! Did you get that from Bill at the tables on the left side with the green cover on them? If so, I was standing next to you when you picked it up from him. I remember glancing at the rifle and hearing you say something about having been looking for a 220 Swift, I believe.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    So that was you practically skipping back through the parking lot this morning with a rifle in your arms! You were a little too far away for me to recognize positively but I concluded it wasn't you because I thought you were downsizing, not acquiring new stuff!

Good for you on your find. Nice piece!

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    If you ditch that scope, I'll be willing to grab it. Got an old Arisaka sporter in need!

Besides my own needs, nice pick-up for a varmint rifle. I personally use my Marlin .22 for varmint extermination when it is needed, but that's because of limited range (I'm mainly putting down "cat gifts").

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I seriously wanna shrink myself down and get in this guy's shirt pocket when he goes shopping! OP is both lucky and damned good. Been some really great stuff on that stump!

Yeah, I'll bet he was indeed one happy camper going across that lot. Nice find OP!
    Congrats! Nothing like busting a varmint with a true classic!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    How could you leave that table with the chance that someone else would have bought this fine piece of machinery? Congrats on a great purchase. You don't find too many of them around. This was meant to be.

Congrats!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thanks everyone. Dan, it wasn't Bill, I was showing it to Bill, he and I have a long relationship with C&R firearms and he appreciates old junk like this.

Mike, I am downsizing, selling more than buying but when I find one I think I can use and possibly make money on I'll buy. I love the hunt, that is why I still go to the shows.

Uncle Duke, thank you, I have specific tastes in classic firearms, I try to show with these posts that there is more than Milsurps that you can use your C&R for, there are amazing sporting arms out there that you can add to your collection. Don't get me wrong, I love Milsurps but my current interest is vintage American sporting arms and the C&R comes in handy there also.

Last edited:

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    How could you leave that table with the chance that someone else would have bought this fine piece of machinery? Congrats on a great purchase. You don't find too many of them around. This was meant to be.

Congrats!

Thanks Jim.
    I felt I was pretty safe doing so, at shows like these most buyers are more interested in the latest plastic gun than some worn looking 60 year old bolt gun.
    I had some concerns with the rifle that I needed to research before making an offer, the main being the barrel finish which is more of a matte bluish gray than the traditional blue I'm used to.
    Turns out Winchester used a different steel on some of the varmint calibers that they finished in a blasted rust blue finish so the barrel finish is correct.
    Smart phones do come in handy sometimes.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks Jim.
    I felt I was pretty safe doing so, at shows like these most buyers are more interested in the latest plastic gun than some worn looking 60 year old bolt gun.
    I had some concerns with the rifle that I needed to research before making an offer, the main being the barrel finish which is more of a matte bluish gray than the traditional blue I'm used to.
    Turns out Winchester used a different steel on some of the varmint calibers that they finished in a blasted rust blue finish so the barrel finish is correct.
    Smart phones do come in handy sometimes.

I only know that with my luck, I would have turned away from the table and someone else would have picked up that rifle. I have terrible luck with this.

Congrats again. That's a mighty sweet rifle you have there.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Please give us a range report once you get to to run some rounds through it. I've been taking an interest in the .220 Swift lately and your thread might finally push me over the edge to look for a rifle that uses it.

Forgive me if I seem ignorant on the subject, but are the stories about the super high velocity of the .220 Swift round burning up barrels quickly just "stories" or is that really a common issue?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    How the bore? I've heard 220 swift barrels don't last long due to the high velocity but I don't know if that's true or not

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    The bore is very clean and shiny with sharp rifling however I can't tell about the throat.
    Dan, 220 Swifts do have a reputation as a barrel burner, part of the reason is the original factory loads were around 4200 fps, get it good and hot and it would eat the throat. Keep it around 3600 fps and they don't wear the barrel and more than any other high velocity 22.
    Most of them are a 1-14 twist and prefer 55 grain or lighter bullets, as soon as I can get to the AGC I'm going to see what it will do..

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Augie, is that going to be a ground hog slayer or do you do other varmint hunting too?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Around here will be groundhog, I plan on buying some land in the mountains eventually and would like to go after coyotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom