• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Let's face it, MD gun shows for many years now could best be called 'Sock and Jerky' Shows. Long gone are the good deals and unique items that once brought people out to shows. Part of this could be blamed on the internet and current legislative environment, but I think a large part rest solely with the vendors. For the good of cause, I would like folks to offer up ideas that might make MD gun shows worth going to again. Here are a few in no particular order:

Gun Show Specials of Police Trade-ins or surplus guns. I have seen a few dealers who had the good sense to come to the show with a couple of cases of police trade-in 870s, surplus Mosin-Nagants, and Yugo SKS when you could get these for around $125 out the door. Give people a reason to buy.

Ammo by the case. This is sort of a no brainer but is seems that most of the good case deals are gone. Now we have lots of guys selling individual boxes of ancient ammo that they can't seem to get rid of.

Dummy suppressors. These seem to always sell. As do flare launchers, pyrotechnics supplies, and MAC flats. Just sayin'

Magazine repair kits - bodies, springs, followers, floor plates. These things don't last forever.

EBRs that you can still buy. HBARs, Sig 556R, centerfire Beretta AX160, MD legal Tavor. There is demand but most people are not the sort of 'gun enthusiasts' that are going to make a special trip to get their gun. They go to the gun show because they think they can buy a gun there. Give them something worth buying.

Books that you may not want to order through the mail (over the internet with credit card). Like say, the Uncle Fester series. You may not approve of the content but as far as I know the 1st Amendment is still in effect. Regardless, these books sell whether the buyer has intent to use it or not. Some folks just like to have that sort of knowledge in their possession.

Dial down the charities. The veteran charities really annoy me because I am a vet, I know lots of vets, some are combat wounded or dead, and my wife works at Building 62 in Bethesda (google it). A lot of these charities are two-guys-and-a-laptop trying to make a buck off of someone else's sacrifice. Save it. And, for the record, the next one of these guys that rings a bell at me is going to get an ear full from an actual combat veteran. See you at the next show!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The next vendor that has three pound bologna and cheese logs that don't include jalapeno peppers in going to get an ear full from a person who likes jalapeno peppers.

97 percent of the vendors think they have the greatest rifles on the face of the earth when in fact they are as common as dirt.

RARE. COLLECTABLE. HARD TO FIND. ALL MATCHING EXCEPT THE BOLT. THIS ELIXER CURES EVERYTHING. Wait! That's snake oil salesman, but you get my point.

When I start seeing Lugers in .45 acp and Norwegian Krag Carbines in 6.5 mm then the above in bold will be true.

I've seen the same rifles being offered for sale for 10 years. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They don't want to part with them for whatever reason.

When some misguided clown offers Commercial/Norinco/Non Military SKS rifles for 700 dolla, we have a problem.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Problem is partially the internet and being able to get things at better prices that dealers. While I can't sit here and say what a dealer pays for a gun, I do find it interesting that some other deal can get the same gun for less. The local guy should be able to be close to the same price as the online dealer. (I hate the brick and mortar story, as most of the online guys also have a brick and mortar store in another state, they just know how to make money by selling in volume).

If I were able to go to a show and get the same gun I can get online for say within $50 then I would do it, once we start getting into $100 difference its a bit much for me to deal with at the point.

This is not to say I don't support local gun stores and FFL's as I certainly do. I'm speaking about the shows. And lets not even talk about ammo, walking around the Bel Air show I thought I was looking at gold plated bullets with the prices on some stuff.

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    I would like to save the Md shows but when ammo can be had at Walmart or on the net for a cheaper. I am for supporting the local guy but being gouged when it comes to their ammo pricing, it makes it hard to support them.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Problem is partially the internet and being able to get things at better prices that dealers. While I can't sit here and say what a dealer pays for a gun, I do find it interesting that some other deal can get the same gun for less. The local guy should be able to be close to the same price as the online dealer. (I hate the brick and mortar story, as most of the online guys also have a brick and mortar store in another state, they just know how to make money by selling in volume).

If I were able to go to a show and get the same gun I can get online for say within $50 then I would do it, once we start getting into $100 difference its a bit much for me to deal with at the point.

This is not to say I don't support local gun stores and FFL's as I certainly do. I'm speaking about the shows. And lets not even talk about ammo, walking around the Bel Air show I thought I was looking at gold plated bullets with the prices on some stuff.

You have to include 5-10 to send your money order so it can be tracked, 25-35 for shipping, and another 50-80 to bring the gun into a local FFL when you buy it off the Google Machine.

95-125 extra. Everyone forgets to include this in the on-line price and then they bitch about the FFL's.

Many times you come out ahead just buying from the FFL's to begin with.

This is just tin foil hattery, but I think this is why FFL's are charging 50-100 bucks over MSRP in their local shops.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

This is called marketing and price gouging and playing off of people's fears.

The casual shooter will buy into it. Those who shoot a lot will see it for the spam can scam that it is.

Jul 23, 2013
    I didn't intend to buy anything unless something screamed take me home but I just enjoy being with like minds. I thought the Timonium show was a big contrast from last year. Hand guns were just sitting there collecting cobwebs, which is how the boys (criminals and their family) down in Baltimore and PG county want it..

This state is just not friendly to law abiding gun owners and until some of the misguided gun laws get rolled back it's unlikely to change I'm afraid. We must protect the criminals in this state at all costs. Lest we forget the offspring of these convicts are future democrats.

Even when an officer of the law deservedly caps one the community is outraged stating what a great guy he was.

I must agree after an officer smokes a criminal ........I'll say he's never been better.

driver69911

Oct 6, 2013
    N Central MD
    Apart from the obvious (displaying items that one can actually buy in Maryland), dealers/vendors could do a better job of presenting themselves and knowing what they're talking about.

It has not happened to me, but I've overheard people spoken to very disrespectfully in response to perfectly legitimate questions. Makes it clear why some small businesses fail.

Same goes for not having at least a working knowledge of what is or is not legal to buy/sell in MD. The law can be confusing or subtle in some respects, but even basic stuff is not clear to some vendors.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    In the last year or so my favorite Maryland gun show(showplace arena in PG county because it was the closest to me) has become extinct thanks to ignorant busybodies in the MNCCCP banning perfectly legal events in their facilities because they think they know what's best for everyone.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Pricing is simple. More volume you do typically the better pricing you get. If you dont have a storefront you're overhead costs will be lower, its not a challenging formula.

Id love to give all my money to IPs but aa some have said when the price is 20-30% different then sorry but I have limited funds and will take my money elsewhere. Unless there are other things being taken into account like having chad or other gunsmith support tied into the deal. That changes things but if its simply a local shop vs online retailer and theres a big price difference im sorry my income isnt that of many on the board I will take the deal.

As for supporting local shops I still do but they do need to try to remain competitive. I dont expect them to be equal in terms of pricing but them shouldnt be 100s more. Before the restriction on mags was passed that's another item that at times the price was laughable and practically said no thanks take your business elsewhere.

Its sad but im concerned some will effectively price themselves out of the market and the situation stands to get worse in md. If you havent heard the term fast nickle vs slow dime think about it as that's what we are talking about here.

I will leave with one last example I recently was allowed to pick up an AK from an IP tjat I ordered online and had sent to them for the transfer. When I went to fill out the paperwork someone asked the IP about getting the same AK. I paid 559 shipped and the IP states a price of 900 to the potential buyer for the same rifle. That in my mind is bad business. Even if they had bought and resold my rifle thwy stood to make 300 bucks on a 600 purchase which is a damn good mark up but im sure they could have gotten it for even cheaper aa I got it from an online vendor not the manufacturer. That along with the 6 month wait convinced me never to do business with that IP again, hisprices in ARs were equally inflated. I prefer small businesses but when they come at such a high premium it makes it hard.

I tend to support a local FFL who is not an IP who is both very reasonable aand of a nice guy. If he doesnt have it he will order it and isnt after crazy mark ups. Therefore he is consistently busy and always has people lined up waiting to do more business.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Yhea I don't understand the concept of paying 60 over msrp because it is md,by buisiness is in md also and its not easy competing but I have constant fuel fluctuations to deal with,if the other retailers have a brick and mortar store and can sell online and they pay shipping to recieve it in the first place and if the local store is buying it wholesale I'm not buying over msrp argument,I've done 80-90% of my business with one local shop that handles my transfers for 30$ including msp fee,if he can me what I want be gets for me and doesn't break it in me and if he can't I ask if I can transfer it in and he says sure not a problem.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The (gun) vendors should be the ones truly asking the questions of how to save Maryland gun shows if they are interested. It's not a worry of the consumers-they can always go elsewhere....

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    In the last year or so my favorite Maryland gun show(showplace arena in PG county because it was the closest to me) has become extinct thanks to ignorant busybodies in the MNCCCP banning perfectly legal events in their facilities because they think they know what's best for everyone.

Equestrian Center with the upper level where the hand made flintlocks were displayed and sold?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I think the point was I think many would like to see good shows locally again but im not sure that will happen. Lou is great at the shows but and maybe 1-2 others but mpst of the show is a waste outside of them.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Lou is always bent over doing some kind of paperwork. Those stainless and black stocked Mini's were the bomb. Whistle clean too.

There was a really big boned guy from North East/Elk Neck that had crates of great buys on anything and everything in the way of surplus rifles. Haven't seen him in years. I heard he ran into some difficulties.

That's what were missing. Crates and Cosmoline and Crud.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I know of 3 vendors that aren't even going to bother with Easton this year. :sad20: Every now and again a deal could be had, but still cheaper than most auctions. They have gone crazy.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I always find stuff to buy at gun shows, just have to keep an open mind and know what you are looking at. I hardly ever buy any guns at the shows, mostly because the people selling them are way out of touch with what they are worth. I ain't paying $350 for a Mosin Nagant, or $700 for a beat up remington 700 that looks like somebody dragged it behind a truck for several miles, then left it out in the rain for a month. Seems to me that most guys selling guns at these shows just don't really want to sell them.

And don't get me started on the .22 LR sellers

I typically go fill my reloading stash, and make contacts with people who may be able to get stuff that I need. I really need somebody to be selling a bunch of 7mm WSM or 375 Winchester brass at one of these things!

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Save the shows by bringing stuff people want and fair prices. Build this and they will come

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom