• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I stopped going years ago. I can find some things, but don't find great deals like I used to. I still try to buy locally when I can. There are several IP's I have dealt with and been happy. I'd rather just walk into a shop, chat for a few minutes, get what I want and leave rather than pay for admission, fight crowds, deal with ignorant vendors who are trying to bend people over a barrel on guns/ammo, and waste a day.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I stopped going years ago. I can find some things, but don't find great deals like I used to. I still try to buy locally when I can. There are several IP's I have dealt with and been happy. I'd rather just walk into a shop, chat for a few minutes, get what I want and leave rather than pay for admission, fight crowds, deal with ignorant vendors who are trying to bend people over a barrel on guns/ammo, and waste a day.

plus you dont want anyone messing up you awesome hair.:D

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I go to MD gun shows to browse around for things that I would like in my collection. For the most part, I see a mix of decent commercial sellers, a few collectors parting with a portion of a collection, and a vast amount of gun show bubbas. Prices are generally higher than online, but I don't mind supporting local businesses if I am not buying in bulk of if they have something I want at a reasonable price. Referring to the bubbas, I have noticed that many of the older bubbas will attempt to pray on younger guys, especially on older guns younger guys may be walking around with trying to sell. I don't mind this in particular because most of my dealings have been positive, but I have been straight-up mobbed at a gun show while carrying older guns, hearing offers that ranged from somewhat reasonable to straight up low-balling ("I'll give you [enter ridiculously low offer here], they are a hard sell these days."). I understand dealers need to eat too, but not everyone is an idiot.

Best example: A few years ago, this old guy with overpriced crap all over his table and guns on a rack on the floor telling me that my Winchester 94, which had been drilled for a sight, should have its value deducted $200 per drilling. He offered me $150 for my gun. I walked away, but he followed giving other reasons that my gun was worth $150 but his 94 that was drilled EXACTLY the same way but in significantly poorer condition was $500. By his rule, his late pre-64 gun should be worth $1100.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I saw it too.. Bad part I think the guy is a member here..:sad20: Oh and it's rare because it's the only one Priced that HIGH....:lol2:

If I do remember correctly, I know who it is and that it was I fact a stamped receiver Chinese sks very rare indeed and worth $750 or more. It did sell.
    Do your homework before spouting off.

RosadoSM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 27, 2005
    King George, VA
    Apart from the obvious (displaying items that one can actually buy in Maryland), dealers/vendors could do a better job of presenting themselves and knowing what they're talking about.

It has not happened to me, but I've overheard people spoken to very disrespectfully in response to perfectly legitimate questions. Makes it clear why some small businesses fail.

Same goes for not having at least a working knowledge of what is or is not legal to buy/sell in MD. The law can be confusing or subtle in some respects, but even basic stuff is not clear to some vendors.

I asked a vendor if he had M193 or M855 ammo for sale... He looks at me like I had 2 heads. I changed my question to .223/5.56... "oh yeah I have some AR ammo"... Offered me Wolf... telling me "this is the military stuff... issued to the troops"

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think you could really improve gun shows in general by having less of them. Please hear me out; the dealers don't make anymore money doing 12 shows a year at the same location than they would if they only did 2 a year at that location, they actually lose money since they pay for more tables, time worked, etc by doing the 12 shows.

If a guy knew he had 2 local shows a year he'll be ready to buy/sell since he knows it's 6mns till he has a local show as an option. Also, a guy only has $x to spend on guns, he'll spend it at 2 shows or spread over 12 but he doesn't have more money to spend just because there are more shows.

Dealers would come in from a longer distance if they knew it was 1 or 2 shows a year so you would have more gun dealers and less t-shirt guys.

I know it seems odd, but the way to make them stronger and better would be to have less of them. Doubt it will happen though. There will tend to be tons of them and they will get weaker and weaker over time, less real dealers and more junk till they become flea markets.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I think you could really improve gun shows in general by having less of them. Please hear me out; the dealers don't make anymore money doing 12 shows a year at the same location than they would if they only did 2 a year at that location, they actually lose money since they pay for more tables, time worked, etc by doing the 12 shows.

If a guy knew he had 2 local shows a year he'll be ready to buy/sell since he knows it's 6mns till he has a local show as an option. Also, a guy only has $x to spend on guns, he'll spend it at 2 shows or spread over 12 but he doesn't have more money to spend just because there are more shows.

Dealers would come in from a longer distance if they knew it was 1 or 2 shows a year so you would have more gun dealers and less t-shirt guys.

I know it seems odd, but the way to make them stronger and better would be to have less of them. Doubt it will happen though. There will tend to be tons of them and they will get weaker and weaker over time, less real dealers and more junk till they become flea markets.
    You would put the promoters out of business by doing this.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    You must remember promoters make their money two ways, ticket sales and table sales. A promoter must fill his hall one way or another.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.

I'm not sure of that. The hall rental costs something. They would lose the table $$ for the "lost shows" but the # coming through the door could go up a lot if they had less shows. They may also be able to get more for a table or run more tables (Frederick used to have another building) if the demand went up enough. Quality shows would pull more people which could pay off for them.

To say that they would go out of business I think is premature.

I also remember the days when it was clubs which did the shows and not promoters. It may go back to that, the clubs used to do 1 or 2 shows a year till the promoters came into the area.

Nothing against the promoters. However, with the change in times their era may be done. There were shows before them and likely will be after them.

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    Over the last 20 years gun shows have change for the worse--As John Q Public could possibly pick up a article at a decent price as there were VERY FEW shows in the area less then a handful a year.

Harrisonburg Va had two shows a year and people from Va .Md Wv ,Pa came as they knew it was good merchandise and the tables were spaced so no pushing and shoving took place--no on had their Private Collection "NOT FOR SALE" on display.

Now with all the BIG PROMOTERS you can go to a show within a two hour drive monthly-the dealers do not have to HOLD on to there items-and most are Professional Gun Show Dealers with little or NO shop hours. IMHO the FLEA MARKET items should not be allowed at shows--do you really need to SMELL fatigues , socks and USED boots??
    Promoters sell tables and they do NOT CARE what is put on them.

Greed my friend has ruined another American Venture

Jim

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I asked a vendor if he had M193 or M855 ammo for sale... He looks at me like I had 2 heads. I changed my question to .223/5.56... "oh yeah I have some AR ammo"... Offered me Wolf... telling me "this is the military stuff... issued to the troops"

:lol2::lol2::lol2: "This is the military stuff, issued to the troops" :lol2::lol2:

Back in the mid 90's there were 30+ gun shows a year in MD which was completely ridiculous. During that time I can remember 3 shows being held concurrently within 52 miles; Frederick Fairgrounds, Howard County Fairgrounds, and Timonium Fairgrounds. Forward to present, at this time, I think there's only about 14 gun shows per year in MD, not counting the two added in Stevensville and Chuck County later this year.

This ^^^ is about right.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's ^^^ the reason he gave for acquiring his MD CCW, and yep, MSP concluded that was "Good & Substantial". :lol2:

Damn right.

Restrictions: When transporting hair.

It's basically unrestricted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom