How to have restriction removed from HGP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    My last renewal was just approved in April and I have my new HGP valid through 2025. My G&S and restriction is ‘valid while maintaining employment ..... for the DOD’.

With the SCOTUS ruling and G&S presumably no longer needed, how exactly do I apply to have the restriction removed from my HGP? I still see my application and approval message in the portal however I see no way to request modification of the permit. Do I email MSP.licensing@maryland.gov and ask, or is there an on-line method?

Thanks

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    My last renewal was just approved in April and I have my new HGP valid through 2025. My G&S and restriction is ‘valid while maintaining employment ..... for the DOD’.

With the SCOTUS ruling and G&S presumably no longer needed, how exactly do I apply to have the restriction removed from my HGP? I still see my application and approval message in the portal however I see no way to request modification of the permit. Do I email MSP.licensing@maryland.gov and ask, or is there an on-line method?

Thanks

Im in the same exact perdicament. As far as I know, if you are still awaiting the permit you can request an "Informal Review" (as long as the time hasnt laspsed to do so) and be contacted by MSP higher to argue your reason as to why the restriction should be lifted, or you can ask for a modification which is $10.

Im just curious, for our particular situation, on who has successfully argued that the "while still working with ***" should be lifted...

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    You can request a modification through the licensing portal. When doing so, request an unrestricted permit, using self-defense, and then attach the opinion released yesterday in NYSRPA v. Bruen.

Details here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/information/md-carry-permits

Also Going forward with the Training requirement currently in place for license.
    Currently 16 hours. Will that high bar be eliminated (fat chance) or reduced to
    more reasonable 6 hours or 8 hours. To comply with Justice Kavanaugh's quotes,
    "Likewise, the 6 States including New York potentially affected by today’s decision may continue to require licenses for carrying handguns for self-defense so long as those States employ objective licensing requirements like those used by the 43 shall Iissue States. "

The court hears appeals from the nine federal district courts in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

Last edited:
    With yesterday's ruling I suspect that MSP will postpone any further wear and carry investigations or approvals until they figure out how to proceed. Basically if the test for good and substantial has been removed anyone who is not prohibited must be approved without limitation. I also suspect there will be tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of new applications which is going to overwhelm the licensing division like back in 2013. So those of us who are going to apply for CCP will probably end up having to wait quite some time for approval. And that won't be until after they get the new procedures in place which probably won't be for quite some time because I pretty much guarantee you they're going to drag their feet as long as they possibly can get away with it

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    With yesterday's ruling I suspect that MSP will postpone any further wear and carry investigations or approvals until they figure out how to proceed. Basically if the test for good and substantial has been removed anyone who is not prohibited must be approved without limitation. I also suspect there will be tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of new applications which is going to overwhelm the licensing division like back in 2013. So those of us who are going to apply for CCP will probably end up having to wait quite some time for approval. And that won't be until after they get the new procedures in place which probably won't be for quite some time because I pretty much guarantee you they're going to drag their feet as long as they possibly can get away with it
    yea, I get it. Of course MSP will not go forward without Her' Frosh's written approval.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    You can request a modification through the licensing portal. When doing so, request an unrestricted permit, using self-defense, and then attach the opinion released yesterday in NYSRPA v. Bruen.

Details here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/information/md-carry-permits
    Thanks, I still see nothing on the MSI link or in the portal to actually request a modification. The portal home page is “start 77r, mg or HQL” and “resume or start HGP”. No “modification” link in the dashboard either. ??

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If you do end up at the actual hearing board (which i don't think is needed) you will need a 2A lawyer. I think just putting in a request and 10.00 for new permit will work.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Ah forgive me, they've not updated their guide. Start a new "HGP," select "Personal Protection/Category Not Listed" and then select what kind of application it is (renewal, new, modification, etc...)

HGP Category.png
    Application Type.png

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I'm submitting the request for Modification application now, but I also emailed the MSP, this is their response below. So do I submit the request now?

Your email ahs been forwarded to the wear and carry permit section. If you have additional documentation that you would like considered for the modification of that permit, the proper process is the submission of a "Modification" request in your portal account. Please understand that the Supreme Court decision is under review with the MD Attorney Generals Office. There is no additional comment we can provide on this matter, and the processing of wear and carry permit requests continues under our current standard operating procedure until MD law has changed. Thank you for your understanding.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

beavisman1

Band Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 25, 2022
    Virginia

That's my hope. As per the ruling, clear as day, no more subjective crap and games on the application or during the investigation. MSP takes the application, prints, fee, and training document and processes the background check. If clean, create the permit and mail it to the recipient. It's that simple, folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom