How to approach 2nd regulated application while waiting for first one - please sticky

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This is for those of you that have bought a regulated firearm, have been waiting 30 days or more, and want to buy another regulated firearm.

This is essentially a cut and paste from a thread on April 5th.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114703&highlight=Day+Brock

On April 5th, Ms. Rose Brock from MSP contacted me and we discussed the wait time and how it will affect my 2nd, 3rd, 4th regulated firearm purchase. I informed her that I have an application pending from February 26th and she replied that they are only on February 15th right now. So, I am willing to bet that the wait is currently going to be 60 days before I get the approval back on the February 26th application. When I asked about purchasing a 2nd regulated firearm and that I wanted to get it submitted now because 30 days have passed from the previous application, she said to just go ahead and submit it. If the approval process continues to take about 60 days, they will not get to my 2nd application until 30+ days have passed since the last approval. She said just to answer the 30 day question on the Form 77R and that MSP would take care of the 30 day period. She stated that if by some miracle they get caught up and my 2nd application for purchase were to be approved within 30 days of my previous approval, MSP would merely contact the FFL and tell the FFL to hold the firearm until a certain date and then release it on that date so the 30 day time frame would be met.

I think the most important thing to do is to remember that you need to be truthful on the 30 day question, which I believe is question 15 on the Form 77R. After that, the MSP will take care of the 30 days between purchases of regulated firearms.

The best thing to do to avoid this entire situation is to apply Designated Collector status. The application is free if you know a notary that will notarize it for free. You just mail it to MSP and then wait about 5 to 6 weeks to get the approval letter. Then, you can buy as many regulated firearms as you wish in a single day and submit all of the Form 77r Application for Purchase of a Regulated Firearm on the same day.

Here is the form:

http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=7BJZzDT7kt8=&tabid=429&mid=1072

You can complete it on the computer, print it out, take it to a notary, sign it in front of the notary, and then pop it in the mail to MSP. I sent mine certified mail to ensure I had a receipt for its arrival to MSP. They received it on March 2nd and I received my approval on about April 6th or thereabout.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So she said answer "yes" to the question and submit it, or no?

In my case, I answered "No". It had been over 30 days since my last "Application to Purchase" (i.e., Form 77r) was submitted and I had not yet taken possession of that regulated firearm, or any other regulated firearm for that matter, within the past 30 days. The question really is not that confusing if you take it slow and apply your facts. They don't even care if you reply with yes and put in the date you took possession of your last regulated firearm within the past 30 days. They are supposed to be keeping track of the approval dates and authorizing the release of 2nd and subsequent regulated firearms every 30 days for purchasers.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Ok,, Here is the big question, (doesn't really matter to me I already have collector status) What is the wait time for the collector status form? Is Cusimano(sp) doing them or is he also one doing apps for regulated purchases?

Tom

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Ok,, Here is the big question, (doesn't really matter to me I already have collector status) What is the wait time for the collector status form? Is Cusimano(sp) doing them or is he also one doing apps for regulated purchases?

Tom

Designated Collector approval is taking 5 to 6 weeks, and it is the route I am recommending in the thread I wrote about this entire subject. I received mine on April 6th after mailing it March 1. Been buying ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom