• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoninZer0

Well Shit Fire!
    Feb 10, 2013
    Feudal Japan
    Noob here, wondering how often should I clean my gun?
    795 Marlin .22

I also would like to know how do you know when it needs cleaning?

G

George

Noob here, wondering how often should I clean my gun?
    795 Marlin .22

I also would like to know how do you know when it needs cleaning?

Every time I am done shooting or every 6 months just to keep the oil from gunking up. Others will have a different opinion.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I clean my 1911 once a week whether I shoot it or not.

My Marlin 60 has only gotten the barrel swabbed and the action wiped out a few times in a few years and is still going strong.

Shotguns...I clean about as often as the 1911.

There are some guns where a quick wipe and a lube will suffice after a range trip without a full disassembly.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've been hanging out with Ed to long. I clean it when it's dirty. If it's a home defense gun I always make sure I do not clean it before putting it away. If anything is going to go wrong, it'll be when you take it apart to clean it. I want to be sure it works.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I NEVER clean my guns! It's just not safe. I've been hearing the same stuff all my life, "I was cleaning my gun and it just went off and hit my foot", I was cleaning my gun and it shot the TV", "I was cleaning my gun and it went off and hit the neighbor's dog".

It's just not safe.......

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    If it's a home defense gun I always make sure I do not clean it before putting it away. If anything is going to go wrong, it'll be when you take it apart to clean it. I want to be sure it works.

And that's why a proper functions check is performed after disassembly and re-assembly - to make sure the gun works properly. Not trying to be a dick but you don't appear to have confidence in your ability to properly maintain your weapons. If you don't clean your HD rig before putting it away then when do you clean it? It makes more sense for carbon, rust, oxidation or corrosion to build up inside the gun than to give it a thorough cleaning? Not sure I follow your logic.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

EvilOlive

Salty Marine
    Dec 13, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Every now and again..

When they are dirty.

Seriously, with the ammo these days not be corrosive it's more a matter of gunking up and becoming unreliable. I have a buddy that says when he gets a new pistol he will not clean it until he starts to have issues, just so he understands about how long he can go. I don't subscribe to that line of thinking.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've been lazy about it lately, which is a bad habit. Part of the problem is that I don't have a good place to clean them at home - I use the bathroom sink, which is 1) awkward, 2) messy, and 3) requires immediate cleanup.

I'm considering buying a parts washer from Harbor Freight and tossing some Slip-2000 carbon killer in there. I'll have to be more uptight about lubing if I use that (instead of CLP), but at least it'll be more convenient.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave

Attachments

• dishwasher.JPG
      dishwasher.JPG
      52.7 KB · Views: 328

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Depends on the gun. I pull a bore snake through (no matter what gun or how many rounds fired) after every time shooting. I wipe down the action and parts I can get to with a rag/Hoppes 9.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Depends on the gun. I pull a bore snake through (no matter what gun or how many rounds fired) after every time shooting. I wipe down the action and parts I can get to with a rag/Hoppes 9.

This is about right. I field strip and clean the action, lube the slide and parts that rub on each other. At the very least a boresnake after each firing due to using lead rounds.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom