• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I have several rounds of surplus ammo but am worried about storing too much. I mean I don't want to endager fire figthers should there be a fire at my house. Is there a safe way to store ammo that won't endanger them?

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have several rounds of surplus ammo but am worried about storing too much. I mean I don't want to endager fire figthers should there be a fire at my house. Is there a safe way to store ammo that won't endanger them?

You can store it at my house .Where should I pick it up ?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Myth busters did a test and found that the casings tend to fly more than the bullets do when they blow up from being in a fire.
    Ammo needs to be chambered in order for the bullet to fire so if you have a chambered round loaded in a gun it can fire the bullet during a house fire.
    Unchambered loose or boxed ammo really shouldn't be lethal in a house fire unless you have a giant pile of thousands of rounds and it all blows up at the same time like a bomb(not even sure if that's possible).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAK2dDQ-S4Q

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    It just sort of pops and explodes, but usually with less the lethal results. I guess if you toss a case of it on a bon fire you might not want to stand too close while you drink your beer. If it worries you, get a fire resistent safe and store it in there.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I asked my firefighter brother that same question. They are more worried about paint and fuel cans then ammo.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Ok that's funny I was just trying to be responsible. Never mind.

I keep most of mine in some Knaak job boxes in the basement . I put heavy duty wheels on them so I can move them if need be . Some is stored in GI ammo cans in various spots throughout the house , some in the safes and some in magazines .

If there is a fire they can pop but not with near the velocity of a fired round from a firearm .

Attachments

• 2472_350_main.jpg
      2472_350_main.jpg
      4.2 KB · Views: 192

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Don't know how much you have to store but one of those cheap sentry safes from home depot or lowes will add some level of fire protection.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Don't know how much you have to store but one of those cheap sentry safes from home depot or lowes will add some level of fire protection.

It's not really that much but I have always been apprehensive about keepng alot without some safe storage. I won't worry about it anymore based on the responses here. Thanks folks

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I know one guy who has his larger amounts of ammo and reloading powder in military containers that are in large plastic containers that are in a larger plastic trash bin outside his storage shed. There's almost no chance it will ever be exposed to fire, it stays very dry, and nobody has any need to go into his yard and look inside the trash ... but he doesn't have many neighbors, either.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    black powder is explosive, that should not be stored in large amounts in your house, and there is a legal limit to the amount of powder you are allowed to store in your house anyway.

ammo is perfectly safe, it just pops and burns, this is because smokeless powder is a propellant, not an explosive like black powder.

worst case scenario, a fire fighter going through your burning house finds your giant stash of 200,000 rounds, and all he sees is a mountain of boxes with flames coming out of them :lol2:

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    black powder is explosive, that should not be stored in large amounts in your house, and there is a legal limit to the amount of powder you are allowed to store in your house anyway.

ammo is perfectly safe, it just pops and burns, this is because smokeless powder is a propellant, not an explosive like black powder.

worst case scenario, a fire fighter going through your burning house finds your giant stash of 200,000 rounds, and all he sees is a mountain of boxes with flames coming out of them :lol2:

200,000? Not quite. Maybe 2500 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom