• I HAVE TO SHOOT AT MYRTLE GROVE, BUT, LIVE IN:

• ST. MARYS COUNTY

Votes: 28 51.9%
    • CALVERT COUNTY

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters

pingrr

Dec 7, 2011
    I live in St. Marrys but only go to the grove once a year or so. The drive is just to long. I usually just go shooting in the woods behind my house.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    I shoot at Sanner's Lake

My personal philosophy is that no one should have to drive an hour to participate in the shooting sports.:sad20:

Sanner's Bullseye Pistol Range and Rifle-Range are closed right-now, but they will be reopening in June and July, respectively. Yeah -- I realize that the RR is only ~100-yards...

I also realize that not everyone is a member of Sanner's Lake (there is a membership-cap, which was raised this year by 100 members), but the SLSC matches are open to the public. The matches are run in a safe & disciplined manner, but the ROs are not Range-Nazis :) -- unless a particular shooter's behavior/attitude forces them to become such, of course.:mad54:

Trap & Skeet matches (Wednesdays and Sundays) and IDPA matches (1-2 weekends per month) are currently on-going. Our other dynamic shooting events include Combat Shotgun and 2-Gun (Shotgun & Pistol) matches -- the 3-Gun matches are currently dormant.

Other match programs (Rimfire Silhouette, NRA Hi-Power Rifle, and BlackPowder Silhouette and Paper) will likely resume later this Summer, after the ranges are upgraded. We are also considering the establishment of Rimfire Steel and/or USPSA matches.

If you are not a member of SLSC*, but want to participate in the open-shooting practice that is available on most ranges from 0900 - dusk, I suggest you drop-by a match or two and shoot with us. The match-events are friendly and welcoming to both neophytes and experienced shooters alike. So long as you are a nice and decent person and a safe firearms practitioner, you'll almost certainly make a friend or two who will likely sponsor you onto the Club as a guest.

John

*The new-member application process has changed this year, with the elimination of the requirement for the applicant to be sponsored by a couple of current members. The newly-redesigned application form is posted elsewhere on the MDShooters' Southern MD forum. Be forewarned that the costs of membership have recently been increased, although guest-access remains free -- at least for the foreseeable future.

P.S. I understand that there might be a person or two on this thread who has unexplained heartburn with SLSC:confused:, so I held-off responding to this thread for several days for fear of troll-feeding. However, I have decided to take this thread at face-value and respond in a straightforward manner. The offer to welcome folks to SLSC's matches applies to all safe and competent shooters -- and I welcome you to PM me if you have doubts about this statement. JWM

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    SLSC Memberships

I have been meaning to apply at Sanners for years.

We hear that a great deal. The longest journey starts with but a single step.

They still have room?

Sanner's currently has a waiting-list of ~150+ backlogged applicants. In a normal year, we are usually able to offer 50 - 75 new memberships, due to old members who move, pass-on, or just plain forget to renew on time.

However, this year we have increased the membership cap by 100 memberships. That does not guarantee you a membership offer this year, even if you apply tomorrow, but it does improve your odds compared to a more normal year. Even if you do not get-in this year, the application reserves your spot on the waiting list for future years.

If you are truly interested in joining SLSC, I suggest you put in an application ASAP, as the waiting-list positions are based upon the post-mark dates of the applications.

See here for the application form & instructions. Note that you need not include payment with your application -- that will wait until you are contacted with a formal membership offer.

Note that matches at SLSC are open to the public. See sannerslake.us for the Club's calendar/schedule.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    If you are truly interested in joining SLSC, I suggest you put in an application ASAP, as the waiting-list positions are based upon the post-mark dates of the applications.

See here for the application form & instructions. Note that you need not include payment with your application -- that will wait until you are contacted with a formal membership offer.

Note that matches at SLSC are open to the public. See sannerslake.us for the Club's calendar/schedule.

Alright, thanks. If they received the application today, when is the earliest I could expect an invitation?

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Timeline

Alright, thanks. If they received the application today, when is the earliest I could expect an invitation?

IF you get your app in today

AND if we end-up with an opening under the 600-member ceiling on 01 August 2012, including both renewing members and new applicants who got in ahead of you in the line

THEN you will get a call from the Membership Committee during the first week in August 2012 offering you a membership in the Club and asking for your $180 dues check* to lock-in your spot.

If you do not make it in under the waiting-list cap this year, your application will be retained on-file and will be looked-at again next August. Historically, many folks have waited 2-3 years for membership offers after submitting their membership applications -- but this is far from a "normal" year so it's very hard to speculate.

*In the interestes of full-disclosure, please note also that this year all members will be subject to a Special Assessment of not to exceed $250, payable in the September timeframe.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Timeline

Notice there's a lotta "IFs" in that timeline. Sorry about that, but things are quite frankly uncertain.

But the main message is that, if you're at all interested in ever getting a membership in SLSC, all that it'll cost you to lock in a spot on the waiting-list is a 44-cent stamp.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    $250 special assessment? +$180?

What is a 'special assessment'?

$180 Dues + UP TO a $250 Special Assessment

The special assessment is a one-time bill that is needed to pay for substantial upgrades to the range facilities. Special assessments must be approved by the Club's membership, NOT just the Board.

The exact amount of the assessment won't be known until after the start of the 2012-2013 membership year -- but $250 is the assessment cap that has been approved by the current members.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    $180 Dues + UP TO a $250 Special Assessment

The special assessment is a one-time bill that is needed to pay for substantial upgrades to the range facilities. Special assessments must be approved by the Club's membership, NOT just the Board.

The exact amount of the assessment won't be known until after the start of the 2012-2013 membership year -- but $250 is the assessment cap that has been approved by the current members.

Is this something all the membership is going to pay equally? or just the new people?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    St. Mary's. I try to go once a week but never works out.

SOMDSHOOT, I was just wondering, what are you trying to find out from this poll?

Well Joe, this is sort of my own little investigation related to the thread,
    "New Shooting Range IN St. Mary's County". It's a general public poll, hopefully to do a few things by the end.

One is to see how many shooters come here to Charles county from other counties just to use the MG range.

Two is to maybe provide some public feedback to be used as "presentation material" you might say. GunAddict can print the feedback from this poll to use as physical paperwork to present to the commissioners, or whomever he needs to plead his case to, about how much interest there is for his range project to be a reality. Having a "public comment presentation" can provoke some spark to help get his processes passed. At least that is a shot to have something on paper saying, "These people want this range".

Maybe he could call it a "petition" of sorts ? I don't know if it has any bearing on his debate or not, but, every angle that can be put to some use is more weapons for his fight.

Three is simply to see what the overall concensus is as far as demand is concerned for a new range in the SOMD. Point being, do people really care if there is another range, or are they just as content to keep making the travel to MG.

There's several reasons for the poll Joe, I'm just trying to offer some of the tips and tricks I've learned over the years from a Promotional and Marketing standpoint when trying to sell new ideas to the leaders, or the general public, for that matter. Research and asking questions and gathering all the information you possibly can to have on file is more valuable than one might think.

In my honest thoughts, if GunAddicts range was to actually become a living breathing entity, I am right there with everyone else who wants it to happen.

I am only a few miles from MG and I can hear every shot fired at that range from the farm, BUT, I have been going to MG, on a very rare occasion over the past 40 years, and I am aware of the incidents and dumbA$$es that can take up very valuable space there from the serious shooters. I am more than willing to travel all the way down south to use a range that has more mature humans and hopefully more safety features.
    I only visit MG in the off season of hunting (winter months) to avoid disrupting the peace, Deer, and Turkeys, at the farm. I don't go to MG often simply because I do not trust (some) people that go there.

Croach

Oct 27, 2012
    MG Poll

St. Inigoes/St. Mary's County. Used to go there often enough to pay the fee, but don't go since they did away with the RSO years ago. Just isn't safe - always someone fiddling with their firearm when the range is cold.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Not a fan of Myrtle, and it's a DRIVE for me, but that's where I go unless I get lucky to tag along to Sanners with a member (rare).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom