How does buying from a private party work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I don't think they have changed it at all since it was originally passed.

Ok, I haven't really reviewed that. My original point was that the list can be changed by the State at any time. I just didn't want anyone to rely on this forum for their information.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    M1A is a regulated weapon, no F2F for you.

(xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;

Mk 14 Mod 0 - LMAO - Not Regulated...

Let's look at the list... Clearly specific means specific.

There are 3 distinct rifle families in that one description (G3, FAL, and the M1A)

Specifically all the M1 variants have wooden stocks and detachable magazines. Clearly that is the common defining feature of those "assault weapons".

If we apply the Mini-14 logic test, where the folding stock variant is specifically regulated and only in .223, we can clearly understand that the Mk.14 Mod 0 is not an imitation or copy of the M1A. Clearly the stocks are completely different.

Sure they share some parts, but the Mk.14 Mod 0 is a much more accurate weapon due to it's chassis integrated op rod guide. You cannot simply swap stocks without gunsmithing to change to a Mk.14 Mod 0 Aluminum stock either. Further, unlike the dangerous M1A, the Mk.14 Mod 0 has a collapsible stock, differentiating it even more from the M1A. Clearly everyone can see that the Mk.14 Mod 0 is a different rifle and the differences translate into a more accurate weapon that isn't an assault weapon but a dedicated marksman rifle with enhanced accuracy... not a spray and pray assault weapon like the M1A.

LOL. One of these is NOT an assault weapon... Like a Mossberg 500, the stock matters!

Attachments

• DSCN1122.jpg
      DSCN1122.jpg
      47.8 KB · Views: 128
    • IMAG0091.jpg
      IMAG0091.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 124

bwags123

Jun 23, 2010
    Parsonsburg
    you can always call msp. but to tell you the truth you would be better off guessing. but it doesnt have to change names if its a long gun which an hbar is considered a long gun.

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    well, alittle update-today im going to accurate pawn and tackleand maybe one or 2 other ffl dealers to go make my first ever firearm purchase for an hbar-15, cant wait!!!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    well, alittle update-today im going to accurate pawn and tackleand maybe one or 2 other ffl dealers to go make my first ever firearm purchase for an hbar-15, cant wait!!!

Good luck, the HBAR is a great choice for your first drive by... :lol2:

Seriously, enjoy your new purchase. AR-15's a great weapon system to start with, lots of support and lots of people to help you out when things aren't going to plan.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hahahahaha!!! thanks man! and by the way, if those m1a's are yours, they are beautiful!!!

Yes, all of them are mine. Here is another one I have.

Attachments

• DSCN1345.jpg
      DSCN1345.jpg
      64.5 KB · Views: 104

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    OP: Good idea to work through an FFL. For one thing, this is your first gun and you'd do better buying something new-ish rather than playing with someone else's potential cast-off. If you don't know what to look for in a gun, you might end up disappointed in a private sale. People on this forum will tell you when they sell something that needs work, but not everyone will. A lot of us like "project guns", but if you are new to the game you'll probably just want to shoot something. No fun trying to get it working first. And then you also avoid all the legal mumbo-jumbo and lean on a professional for it.

And Mark...if your wife catches that shoe of yours on the bedspread she is going to kill you. ;)

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    man! those are nice. and the ffl dealers i went to were a total blow! almost all of them didnt exist, like they were no longer there!!! lol i went to about 5, 3 wernt there and 2 were. i went to accurate and they didnt have shit, and then i went to that once place on point target range and they were prettty well stocked and i went to barts world i believe and they only had like 2 or 3 ar-15's. But after doing ALOT of research and looking, budsgunshop has alot more stuff and at a WAY cheaper price than all the stuff i saw and offers free shipping. So i was going to do that instead. so like $100-$300 cheaper free shipping and either way i have to pay legal fees so its still $100-$300 cheaper and its new and has manufactures warrenty, well those that come with them. Also when i was out and about at these shops, i saw a thing called Windham Weaponry and they bought bushmaster and so yea i mean id imagine the designs would be simular if not the exact same. So if you could please let me know on what you guys think, and they are a great deal cheap!

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    oh and real quick, yea i know cheap stuff is just that-cheap POS! but then very few times there are those companies that are cheap but great quality. So please let me know on what you think of the Windham Weaponry

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    IIRC, Windham is the original owner and employees of Bushmaster before Cerberus bought them and moved their machinery to a Remington plant.

These days a $600-800 AR is not a necessarily a cheap POS, there's too much competition. Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne, OTOH, that's a cheap POS.

Next weekend is the York PA gunshow and you can go there and buy a non-regulated rifle from an FFL.

http://newsite.appalachianpromotions.com/Default.aspx?tabid=58

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    hmm im going to have to check that out. how much is the door fee?

and what i mean was, yes there are good ar-15's that are $600-$800 but because of that price range i just want to make sure WHAT GOOD ar-15 is in that price range and which the crap ones were. and im glad you told me them-im adding those to my list of what not to buy XD

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    You can argue intricacies, but a "POS" AR-15 is one that won't shoot or won't shoot straight. That's actually kinda hard to find these days when everything from trigger to barrel production is done by third-parties who specialize in it. You won't find small AR shops making their own barrels.

What is (probably) unique to a firm?

Lower receivers may be made by the firm, and probably the larger elements of the upper receiver. Trigger, stocks, tubes and even the bolt and carrier group are all probably sourced from dedicated makers. You will run into larger firms like LWRC, Bushmaster and some others who make 90% or more in-house - LWRC pounds their own barrels, for instance. But at the smaller end of the scale it really comes down to what the maker decided to buy.

There certainly are quality differences between the various production shops, but the fact is that those differences often show themselves over time, if at all. There are the rare instances where a "design" has issues feeding and extracting on a regular basis, but a quick Google search will help you avoid them. If you look at the higher-priced stuff you'll find they start to differentiate on things like materials - the type of aluminum and steel used. Also you will find "hard-tested" guns out there that cost more. You don't need these differences in a first (or maybe even a third) gun. They are nice to have. Hammer forging is nice to have. So are corrosion-resistant molten salt baths.

None of it is required.

The chances a new shooter will outshoot their first gun are minimal bordering on next-to-impossible. Get a decent gun, get some decent ammo, avoid decking it out with gear (lights, lasers, chainsaws, etc.) and get a range membership you can use. Lower-cost red-dots are good if you want to go that route. You don't need something the Marines take with them into battle. Not in Maryland.

Point is: it is easy to carried away with all the internet forums picking the differences between two oranges plucked form the same tree (essentially what two different ARs come down to). If you are a gear-head, then maybe you like it. Ignore everything I said. But if you just want to start shooting something, the $700 gun is going to do you great. You will be hard-pressed to find the limits of even modestly-priced guns. So get something modest to learn what you like, and if you get into shooting you'll know if you want more later.

Save the money from guns and gear and put it into ammo and range time. If you want to shoot, you'll have more fun that way.

You can go nuts trying to play the unregulated AR game. Most FFLs don't want to play it, anyway. Far easier to treat them all as regulated. As annoying as it is, it is not a big deal.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Save the money from guns and gear and put it into ammo and range time. If you want to shoot, you'll have more fun that way.

And, you'll be a better shot to boot. Fancy optics don't magically make improve your shooting skills, they just make it easier to apply the skills you already have.

There's a reason why the only gun I own with glass on it is a 10/22: it's what I have the most trigger time with.

[/threadjack]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom