How does buying from a private party work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    Everyone thank you for all your help and advice, i have learned alot from these forum's; however, i have decided it will be much easier and give me peace of mind to purchase my hbar-15 from an ffl dealer and not a private party.

Also, the next thread i make will be pictures of my new hbar-15-in the proper section of course

Hello, so as some of you know, im looking into buying an HBAR-15(since im only 18) and im exploring my many legal options on how to do this. So im curious as to how to legally purchase an HBAR-15(unregulated firearm) from a private party(not an ffl dealer). My record is extremely clean. After all i am only 18 i mean who could mess up that quick?

So yea thats what im wondering. And im wondering this because, well like i said im an 18 yr old student, which we all know most students ar'nt rich, im trying to find the best deal for an HBAR-15, and i found a bushmaster ar-15 that looks to be an HBAR on Armslist, and which of course i will be contacting the seller to see ifit is a heavy barrel ar-15 and if not then im not going to get it.So yea it fits right into my budget and leaves me with a couple hundred to spend on ammo and repairs(if anything were to go wrong). Any and all advice will we greatly appreciated. thanks!

Last edited:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You hand them payment, they hand you the rifle.

That simple. There are no other requirements.

You both must be residents of the state.

Now if it were me, I might ask for a signed bill of sale that had the owners name, address, and phone number. That way I could prove that I purchased the weapon, just on the off chance it was stolen.

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    that easy?! sweet!
    and i have contacted the seller on if it is an hbar-15 or not. waiting for response.
    and thanks! and yes i am a state resident, and im registered to vote in the state of MD as well. and i would imagine he is a md resident as well.

Also, how to i get the rifle from his name, to mine?

And im wondering worst case scenario here, but say i purchase this rifle, and i go to get it in my name and the serial #'s on the gun are connected to some sort of crime. What happens to me and my money, since the rifle will clearly no longer be in my possession?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    HBAR,

How come you're asking so many questions?
    The gunshow loophole thread?
    The non-assault thead
    and now this one​

I understand you are new, but the pace of your questions caught my attention (and I am slow :toothless).

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    oh hahaha, wow i see what your talking about. Looks alittle fishy. It looks as if im trying to figure out some way around the law or somthing, but trust me im not! I dont want to mess with that stuff, which is why im asking quesstions. lol. Plus also to educate myself in this. I mean yea ive shot on and off since i was 15, but ive never made a purchase in my life so im just wondering what some of the many legal ways are, and also buying used seems to fit into my budget better. And the gunshow "loophole" was just a thread i made because i was curious about the terminology not as in "oh is there a way to get around the law with this 'loophole'?" no nothing of that sort.

As far as the pace... simply put this way-the money is BURNING hole in my pocket! Major empasis on burning a hole in my pocket. lol. And a non-assault thread? i never made a thread of that sort, i think you have me confused with someone else.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    that easy?! sweet!
    and i have contacted the seller on if it is an hbar-15 or not. waiting for response.
    and thanks! and yes i am a state resident, and im registered to vote in the state of MD as well. and i would imagine he is a md resident as well.

And im wondering worst case scenario here, but say i purchase this rifle, and i go to get it in my name and the serial #'s on the gun are connected to some sort of crime. What happens to me and my money, since the rifle will clearly no longer be in my possession?

Rifles, and other weapons, in the United States are NOT registered to a person (in most free states). Nor should they be. If you are concerned that the weapon was involved in a crime or was stolen, you probably shouldn't buy it.

That said, it would be hard to tie an AR 15 upper that does NOT have a serial number to begin with to a crime without ballistics. Barrels do not have serial numbers either... If you want you can always call the state police and ask them to run the serial number of the weapon.

As you probably know, the HBAR-15 is a favorite of local gangs and often the weapon of choice these days for drive bys: :sarcasm:

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    Hahahahaha!!!

And okay thanks for the advice. Im not so much worried that it was involved in a crime, i was just thinking worst case scenario.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    that easy?! sweet!

There is no registration of non-regulated firearms in Maryland. Even with regulated firearms, if you move here from another state and bring them with you, you are not required to register them. So there is no transfering it from his name to yours, you just own it like you would if you were buying a refrigerator from the want ads.

We don't support registration schemes. In history they have always led to confiscation schemes over time.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    So, tell me honestly are you a "young misguided youth" or a "Government worker with and agenda". What is your deal? Does your Mom know you are wanting to play with guns?
    There are lots of FFL's out there that won't sell ANY AR-15's (less 1 Colt Model) to anyone as a Non-Regulated firearm. So what you are trying to do is a little tricky. Are you a Bloomberg baby looking to start the new "AR-15 Loophole"?
    Bad,bad,bad ... shame on you!

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    So, tell me honestly are you a "young misguided youth" or a "Government worker with and agenda". What is your deal? Does your Mom know you are wanting to play with guns?
    There are lots of FFL's out there that won't sell ANY AR-15's (less 1 Colt Model) to anyone as a Non-Regulated firearm. So what you are trying to do is a little tricky. Are you a Bloomberg baby looking to start the new "AR-15 Loophole"?

... not sure if your serious.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    ... not sure if your serious.

I believe he is trying to express his feeling that certain agencies with agendas might have an interest in tricking law-abiding fellows to further their own cause.

In short, while it is completely legal to sell a non-regulated firearm like an Hbra AR face to face, the simple fact that giving it another upper does transform it into a regulated firearm makes people suspicious. Imagine some state attorney trying to make a name for himself by punishing "gun crime" and not understanding the hbar regulations. You may end up clear but with a big bill for your legal defense.
    Thus many people will choose not to sell an Hbar face to face.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

For the lurkers out there: The list of regulated firearms in Maryland is specifically set forth in the statute, MD Code, Public Safety, § 5-101. Note that regulated firearms includes: "Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle"

Here is the current list (it may change so don't rely on this):

(p) “Regulated firearm” means:
    (1) a handgun; or
    (2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company
    produced and manufactured that assault weapon:
    (i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
    (ii) AK-47 in all forms;
    (iii) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto;
    (iv) AR 100 type semi-auto;
    (v) AR 180 type semi-auto;

(vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto;
    (vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto;
    (viii) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics;
    (ix) Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto;
    (x) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto;
    (xi) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle;
    (xii) Calico models M-100 and M-900;
    (xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto;
    (xiv) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines;
    (xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;
    (xvi) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2;
    (xvii) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto;
    (xviii) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber);
    (xix) Feather AT-9 semi-auto;
    (xx) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle;
    (xxi) FNC semi-auto type carbine;
    (xxii) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun;
    (xxiii) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto;

(xxiv) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto;
    (xxv) Heckler and Koch HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3;
    (xxvi) Holmes model 88 shotgun;
    (xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format;
    (xxviii) Manchester Arms “Commando” MK-45, MK-9;
    (xxix) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine;
    (xxx) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;
    (xxxi) Sterling Mark 6;
    (xxxii) P.A.W.S. carbine;
    (xxxiii) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);
    (xxxiv) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);
    (xxxv) SKS with detachable magazine;
    (xxxvi) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto;
    (xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;
    (xxxviii) Street sweeper assault type shotgun;
    (xxxix) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats;
    (xl) Unique F11 semi-auto type;
    (xli) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun;
    (xlii) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle;
    (xliii) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto;
    (xliv) Weaver Arms “Nighthawk” semi-auto carbine; or
    (xlv) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto “Terry”.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    There is no mechanism for that list to change, it would require the state making a new law to add or remove from it.

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    dang man. i think its just easier to go to a gun store... sheesh. and no, ive been asked this before-im not the law and have no future plans of ever becoming the law

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    oh and also esqapellate, so if i were to buy a colt from a private party as long as it has a heavy barrel on it, im good?
    and for the bushmaster, is that any bushmaster ar-15 heavy barrel or not its regulated? or if its a bushmaster with a heavy barrel then it is good? let me know-thanks!

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    oh and also esqapellate, so if i were to buy a colt from a private party as long as it has a heavy barrel on it, im good?
    and for the bushmaster, is that any bushmaster ar-15 heavy barrel or not its regulated? or if its a bushmaster with a heavy barrel then it is good? let me know-thanks!

HBAR: As a rule, I don't pretend to give specific legal advice on these forums, so please forgive me for not responding directly to your questions. The list is what it is and everyone is responsible for complying with the law. Suffice to say that a regulated firearm is subject to a whole host of requirements that a purchaser must satisfy in order to purchase, including the forms. That those rules apply whether you buy it privately or from a dealer. Get a lawyer. The prior citation to the Md Code gives you a very good idea where your lawyer can look and start his research. A suggestion: Buy it from a dealer and pay a few extra bucks and get it done right. You don't want to subject yourself to the discretion of the prosecutor.

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    yep. im thinkin the same thing. Even though it would be nice to save like $200, i think it would be well worth it to put that towards an HBAR-15 from an ffl dealer for the ease of it all and the peace of mind, and plus i also get a manufactuers warrenty so that would be nice as well.

editing this post to say no longer want to buy from private party, ive decided to buy my first hbar-15 from an ffl dealer.
    i mean i might buy from a private party at a gun show, but only for a mil-surp rifle such as a lee enfield, mosin, or 1903a3 and if i have the cash an m1a

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    yep. im thinkin the same thing. Even though it would be nice to save like $200, i think it would be well worth it to put that towards an HBAR-15 from an ffl dealer for the ease of it all and the peace of mind, and plus i also get a manufactuers warrenty so that would be nice as well.

editing this post to say no longer want to buy from private party, ive decided to buy my first hbar-15 from an ffl dealer.
    i mean i might buy from a private party at a gun show, but only for a mil-surp rifle such as a lee enfield, mosin, or 1903a3 and if i have the cash an m1a

M1A is a regulated weapon, no F2F for you.

(xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom