How do you safely unload your firearm at home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    As someone who has used firearms for 40 years, I have never chambered a weapon in my home or in a car. The only time I load a firearm is at a range or in a tree stand. ;) For security at home, my Ruger and its loaded magazine sit side by side.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Is this something you would do on a daily basis, or only once in awhile?

Only once in awhile. The pistols normally sit in the small safe in my bedroom with a full mag installed but without a round chambered. When there is a reason to chamber a round it is only a slide rack away from being loaded and I just got to thinking about my current practice of unloading a chambered round. I have seen the bucket of sand before and just wanted to see what everyone else was using.

I also tend to swap out the loaded mags every couple of weeks and load up a couple of others so the same round only has a 1 in 17 or 1 in 8 chance of being loaded again.

And there is no ex-wife currently available.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    As someone who has used firearms for 40 years, I have never chambered a weapon in my home or in a car. The only time I load a firearm is at a range or in a tree stand. ;) For security at home, my Ruger and its loaded magazine sit side by side.

I am usually the same way and the mag is in the pistol but I don't keep a round chambered. There has only been a time or two I felt like a round needed to be chambered at home, and each time the round was ejected and reloaded into the mag after the event was over.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    I usually point it at my bed at an angle beyond the bed is utility room, block wall.
    now that I think about it would suck to replace bed and water heater

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I never thought about it too much. I usually keep it loaded, in a holster, and either on my hip, somewhere out of sight but accessible (we don't have kids), or in the safe. When I have to drop the mag and un-chamber a round (if that's the pistol I am taking to the range), I usually stand outside the safe, point it at the floor, and carefully unload it. Of course, you guys now have me thinking and realizing that my wife's car is in the garage below - right under the safe! So if I have an on sh*t moment its going to be accompanied by a "dear, I can explain the hole in the roof of your car!":D

somddude

Has a big Member
    Mar 14, 2010
    Brandywine, Marylandistan
    I can only carry when traveling (utah permit), so I'm not chambering a round in my carry gun that often. When I'm home, it's loaded, but no round in the chamber, just a slide rack away. If you don't have time in a HD situation to rack a slide, you're probably done anyway.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    A 5 gallon bucket and a 50# bag of sand. About $7 at your favorite home improvement store.

I never realized sand was so effective at stopping bullets. I would have guessed they'd penetrate at 2 or 3 times further than what the video shows. So how heavy would a sand-lined jacket be compared to body armor? :)

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I think keeping the pipe clear of a round and saying one will rack one in when it's time is easier said than done, but I really don't know much. Not trying to get a "How do you store your pistol" debate going either.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I can only carry when traveling (utah permit), so I'm not chambering a round in my carry gun that often. When I'm home, it's loaded, but no round in the chamber, just a slide rack away. If you don't have time in a HD situation to rack a slide, you're probably done anyway.

If you think you will have time to rack the slide in a HD situation, you're probably done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What this is about

This isn't about the 999,999 times everything goes right, its about that ONE other time

(Not to pick out anyone in particular, but to all who aren't on the page yet)
    previousposter said:
    :shrug: I just take the boolit out.:shrug:

If the slide slips out of your hand before the cartridge is ejected and the trigger malfunctions (its a mechanical device, just like software, subject to random malfunction) ... what happens?

Flamesuit on ... show how you think and feel

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Aim it into a lower corner of a room. This is a place where 2x4's meet and afford a decent amount of "cushion".

That ejected round? Put it into a box of ammo and replace it with a fresh one from that box. Not that this is a BIG deal if done occasionally.
    There is really only 1(I know of) documented situation of a ND where they "think" this was an issue. It was a federal cop about 8 years ago and he would explain(his ritual) how he always emptied his pistol when in his house.
    Otherwise, just take that round and put it a mag a few round under the top. This is a negligible worry though.

Last edited:

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I have honestly never given this question much thought. I usually just drop the mag, keep finger outside for trigger and rack it. I never considered a ND, since I place a premium on safety at all times.

Good answer, me too..!

Step #1: Do NOT put your Booger Finger on the Bang Switch...

Step #2: Turn on the Safety...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom