• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Not so much mad as disappointed by folks who ask a question then disagree with folks who post...

This is a persistent issue.

Folks ask Clandestine for AR advice then don't like/disagree with his advice. I don't get it.

If you grew up in VN, then you just might have been witness to some shooting close aboard.

The particular subject is unique in that there's academic knowledge and first hand knowledge and...opinionated charlatans who've never been closer than the movies.

When you experienced it firsthand, you do not forget. It's kind of etched in your brain. If it's an expected outcome given your circumstances, then your perception is one way. If you aren't expecting it, then you'll feel wholly different.

It's not something I want to happen to me ever again. I won't forget it. Mine was wrong place, wrong time. A couple of times... Fortunately for me, no hits, no runs, no errors/ blood.

Mad? Nah. Not this time. Rarely any more. Just frustrated with experts who are, occasionally, not. Sometimes, it's not about whether they know but instead, how they go about revealing that they know. Better still, how they go about drawing folks out and then disagreeing with them..

Maybe I just need a self imposed time out... Be well.

As usual, your wisdom over rules your reflexes. Kudos, Nnztg8tr. This is twice I allowed him to suck me in. My F'up. The new avatar maybe.:shrug: Never again. I guess some folks feel more at home, going through life, laying dap loi for anyone dumb enough to follow.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I was deer hunting about 10 years ago when I heard "zzzzing" pop. I hit the deck, clawing for cover, and looking to see where I thought the shot had come from. A few mins later two morons came bouncing across the area in a truck saying "Did ya get a shot at that big buck? He was at least a 10 pointer! I took a shot about 400 yards over that way, but didn't know if the ole 270 would reach em." Let's just say that I told them in a not so very nice way that the "ole 270" about reached me.
    15 years ago I was shot through the hand by a 22 LR yellow jacket out of a handgun. At first only thing I felt was a pinch and burning sensation. By the time I got to the ER, I was hurting from my hand to my shoulder.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    A few of us walking down a road and we heard a zing typd of sound and then the bang. Not sure if we were targeted but the bullet definitely was close.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Black Hawk Down*(2001)

Grimes: Why aren't you shooting?

Waddell: We're not being shot at yet.

Grimes: How can you tell?

Waddell: A hiss means it's close. A snap means...

[a bullet whizzes close by]

Waddell: Now they're shooting at us!

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

SlowShooter

SeaWaves not TigerStripes
    Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Clearing the air:
    First, I am really sorry for offending some of you by having disagreement on your opinions. I did not know the rule on this forum that you ask a question only when you know nothing for the answers. I always think it a good way to bring people into a discussion. I am the starter of this thread so I thought I have the responsibility to reply to all posts that responded to the opening post.
    I have been a member here since 2011 in hope to get some discount at Accurate Pawn as a member. I am not really into social media because I hate to deal with internet bullies. My english is not good enough to put up a fair fight with them.
    Throughout the years, I have learn tons of good ideas on the internet especially gun collector forum. I also have found that tons of informations on the internet are inaccurate and it is a nightmare for me to think that they be coming mainstream and be part of history. That why I am trying real hard to correct it when I have a chance on what I have been though in life not just things I got from movies or media.

My own opinion/answer to my own question:
    Growing up in Vietnam, a lot of time I heard another side shooting into my little town as part of their fire and run tactic to terrorize the population in town using small arms or mortars. During the 60s and early 70s, most civilians in South Vietnam learned that if a shot sounds Kak...Boop or Kak Kak Kak...Boop are the sounds of an AK47. A very distinctive sound that mentioned in one of Clint Eastwood movies, the Heart Break Ridge. At first, I agreed with the movie because I heard that sound before. Later , when I started going to rifle range (just 6 years ago, before that I was a member at an indoor range shooting only handguns or carbines occasionally), I discovered that AK or SKS don't sound like what I have been known. The scene with Clint Eastwood shooting overhead of his troops at 10-15 yards then declare it is the sound of the enemy fire is so wrong. As we all already know, at the shooting range, all guns sound the same. The only different is the loudness (or at least to my ears).
    When I got deeper into gun collecting (Vietnam wars related) and reloading, I have learned that high power weapons produce 2 sounds. one is the gun blast (near our ears), the second is the "crack" (further away) when the bullet break the sound barrier. As what I have learned from physic and engineering classes, the "crack" is a higher frequency sound so it travels faster than the "bang" or "boop" as it sounds from afar. The separation in timing from the crack and the bang is relative to where you stand (similar to flash and thunder). So if you stand down range (as all deers stand before they get shot at) you will hear the crack first then the bang. If you stand closer to the shooter or behind him, the bang will be heard first and the softer crack noise catch up and merge with the bang into 1 sound. At shooting incidents, a lot of time 1 witness says he/she heard 1 or 2 gun shot others say they heard 4 or five. They all tell the trues but it up to investigators to use the information to locate the shooting position.

In a nutshell:
    If someone shoot toward your direction, good chance you will heard the "crack" first then the "bang/boop". If you see bullet holes/sparks/dropping bodies (I don't believe we can hear them bullets, unless it's inches from our ears) before you hear the "crack", it's really too close. hit the dirt immediately if you are still breathing.
    Of Course in the case of subsonic ammunitions, visual is the only thing we can depend on to find where they came from or going to.

Correct me if I am wrong. openness is my policy because nobody live long enough to see/witness everything in life.

I hope that I entertain you all. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    SlowShooter - I wasn't offended by your post. No apologies necessary in my direction.

As for my experience, I had forgotten how much thinking back on events like that can effect me. If you had asked about the sounds or sensation right after I was shot, you might have received a different answer than what I remember today. The emotional/inner part is a different story. It's an integral part of my life experience. Enough said. That is all.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    SlowShooter - I wasn't offended by your post. No apologies necessary in my direction.

As for my experience, I had forgotten how much thinking back on events like that can effect me. If you had asked about the sounds or sensation right after I was shot, you might have received a different answer than what I remember today. The emotional/inner part is a different story. It's an integral part of my life experience. Enough said. That is all.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Feb 28, 2013
    Clearing the air:
    First, I am really sorry for offending some of you by having disagreement on your opinions. I did not know the rule on this forum that you ask a question only when you know nothing for the answers. I always think it a good way to bring people into a discussion. I am the starter of this thread so I thought I have the responsibility to reply to all posts that responded to the opening post.
    I have been a member here since 2011 in hope to get some discount at Accurate Pawn as a member. I am not really into social media because I hate to deal with internet bullies. My english is not good enough to put up a fair fight with them.
    Throughout the years, I have learn tons of good ideas on the internet especially gun collector forum. I also have found that tons of informations on the internet are inaccurate and it is a nightmare for me to think that they be coming mainstream and be part of history. That why I am trying real hard to correct it when I have a chance on what I have been though in life not just things I got from movies or media.

My own opinion/answer to my own question:
    Growing up in Vietnam, a lot of time I heard another side shooting into my little town as part of their fire and run tactic to terrorize the population in town using small arms or mortars. During the 60s and early 70s, most civilians in South Vietnam learned that if a shot sounds Kak...Boop or Kak Kak Kak...Boop are the sounds of an AK47. A very distinctive sound that mentioned in one of Clint Eastwood movies, the Heart Break Ridge. At first, I agreed with the movie because I heard that sound before. Later , when I started going to rifle range (just 6 years ago, before that I was a member at an indoor range shooting only handguns or carbines occasionally), I discovered that AK or SKS don't sound like what I have been known. The scene with Clint Eastwood shooting overhead of his troops at 10-15 yards then declare it is the sound of the enemy fire is so wrong. As we all already know, at the shooting range, all guns sound the same. The only different is the loudness (or at least to my ears).
    When I got deeper into gun collecting (Vietnam wars related) and reloading, I have learned that high power weapons produce 2 sounds. one is the gun blast (near our ears), the second is the "crack" (further away) when the bullet break the sound barrier. As what I have learned from physic and engineering classes, the "crack" is a higher frequency sound so it travels faster than the "bang" or "boop" as it sounds from afar. The separation in timing from the crack and the bang is relative to where you stand (similar to flash and thunder). So if you stand down range (as all deers stand before they get shot at) you will hear the crack first then the bang. If you stand closer to the shooter or behind him, the bang will be heard first and the softer crack noise catch up and merge with the bang into 1 sound. At shooting incidents, a lot of time 1 witness says he/she heard 1 or 2 gun shot others say they heard 4 or five. They all tell the trues but it up to investigators to use the information to locate the shooting position.

In a nutshell:
    If someone shoot toward your direction, good chance you will heard the "crack" first then the "bang/boop". If you see bullet holes/sparks/dropping bodies (I don't believe we can hear them bullets, unless it's inches from our ears) before you hear the "crack", it's really too close. hit the dirt immediately if you are still breathing.
    Of Course in the case of subsonic ammunitions, visual is the only thing we can depend on to find where they came from or going to.

Correct me if I am wrong. openness is my policy because nobody live long enough to see/witness everything in life.

I hope that I entertain you all. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Likewise on the Christmas wishes.:thumbsup:

No apologies needed here. You apparently lived a childhood that I definitely haven't, so I reckon you oughta know.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    If you pinch your nose closed, your mouth is shut and you can still breathe, there is a pretty good chance you've been shot in the upper torso. Just saying...:o

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you pinch your nose closed, your mouth is shut and you can still breathe, there is a pretty good chance you've been shot in the upper torso. Just saying...:o

:lol: Remember the movie "The quick and the Death", one of the gunslinger got shot in the dual, he looks down and see a big hole in his upper torso shadow before drops to the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom