• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I just got my CVA Wolf last night. At the time I thought I had done tons os research on ammo and settled on Hornady Wolf .45cal 250 grain with .50 cal ribbed sabots. Doing more research (does anyone stop) I am wondering if for medium/long range shots there might be better ammo at not much more.

I don't plan on hunting outside of Maryland for awhile and I doubt I'll even have the chance at a >100yd shot, but....

For the longer shots, what about something with a little more mass, better ballistic coefficient? For some of the close shots, especially a shoulder shot, what about something with a bit better sectional hardness?

I was eyeing up the XTP .44mag 265gr or 300gr. Comments/thoughts? Anyone run this through a CVA? Especially a Wolf? Anyone use it in anything else? Compared to a .45cal XTP?

I have no qualms about shooting off the 100rnds of .45/250 that I bought as I need a lot of practice, I just want to have an idea if I should bother spending the couple of extra bucks per 100rnds on 265/300gr .44mag over the 250gr .45cal, or if I should relax and enjoy the smoke pole and worry about it later if I am ever looking at game at closer to 200yds? Thanks!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I shoot the .45 XTP in a harvester crush rib sabot and can cloverleaf them at 100 yards all day. I've only been able to shoot the gun to 100 yds but so far so good. Personally I see no need to switch from this combo. I'm also using BH209 as it is by far the greatest thing out right now for inlines. If you do decide to go with a larger bullet you'll likely add drop to any shot over 100 yds as they won't be going as fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom