• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have been collecting and shooting firearms for over 30 years. I own pistols, shotguns,rifles and highly regulated weapons that are part of the NfA registry.

but I do not have any assault weapons. Not a single one

I have sporting arms and defensive weapons.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have been collecting and shooting firearms for over 30 years. I own pistols, shotguns,rifles and highly regulated weapons that are part of the NfA registry.

but I do not have any assault weapons. Not a single one

I have sporting arms and defensive weapons.
    :thumbsup:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    DHS is planning on purchasing about 7000 new Assault rifles. The real selective fire version because theY are suitable for use as a personal defense weapon aka PDW.

According to DHS a machine-gun is suitable for personal defense ,especially in close quarter encounters because of it's high rate of fire and large magazine capacity. Most hold about 30 rounds.

At the same time. Gun grabbers see no use for these types of weapons. The semi automatic version. The non - machine-gun civilian version has been designated as an Assault Weapon.

What could be better for protection than a personal defense weapon? So. With this logic. I don't want a semi automatic rifle anymore. Machineguns are better for personal defense. At least that is the stance of the department of homeland security.

The take away is. Machineguns are personal defense weapons and semi automatic sporting rifles are assault weapons. Does this imply that deadlier weapons are better for defensive purposes?

Clear as mud.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Not at all. Use what works:thumbsup:

Thanks SCAR.

I'll be perfectly honest: I don't own an AR and have only ever shot them on a handful of occasions. I was certainly never in favor of banning them, but I never really saw the need for one either. I have a lower going on its third week of paperwork wait (just in case the ban does go through) and I was wondering if I had made a mistake in getting one. You've made a convert out of me. :party29:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    During WW2. The Germans developed a new class of infantry small arms with the characteristics of a submachine gun, carbine or short rifle and an automatic rifle. They needed gun that served all those roles as to better support infantry squads in which at that time revolved around protecting a belt fed machine-gun. The Germans put into use first the modern infantry tactics that are still in use today. Squads need to be able to provide overwhelming firepower and be mobile at the same time

The standard battle rifle of a that time was the bolt action mauser. It was supplemented by the subguns and the squads action revolved around the belt fed belt fed machine-gun.
    The stg44 was designed to replace the rifle and sub gun into a single weapon.

The rifle was shorter due to it's abbreviated or shortened cartridge. Shorter cartridges equates to shorter actions. It also meant less power. Essential in controlling automatic fire. The large magazine also allowed it to lay down suppressive fire which can pin down the enemy during an assault of a defended position.

Hitler gave it the name sturmgewehr or storm rifle. Storm is another word for assault. So the name assault rifle became the official designation of selective fire , magazine fed, intermediate powered rifles.

The modern assault rifle made sub guns and large battle rifles obsolete in the modern battlefield. The U S already had the .30 M1/m2carbine way before everyone else but no one thinks about it as an assault rifle. Maybe because it does not look evil enough to qualify for that designation. The US issued the m1 carbine for rear troops and it served as a personal defense weapon. Or to the elite paratroopers. This thinking is the same in the modern Army as the m4 was also initially issued to rear or support troops as a pdw and the elite folks of special operations.

Americans use it in a pdw role while the Germans and combloc nations favor it as an assault rifle. Two sides of the same coin. The Russians were also working on their own version and came up with the AK 47. Same concept but different design from the stg 44. Even though their profiles look similar.

The ar 15 came into the picture a bit late. It was first developed as a sporting rifle. The 223 Remington is a varmint round and existed before the ar 15 was even invented. It was sold commercially as a sporting rifle then militarized to replace the m14 by the USAF during the Vietnam war. So one can argue that the ar rifle in semi automatic form was really intended for a sporting purpose. It was drafted into service later on as the m16. The military m16 has selective fire capabilities. That made it to a bonafide assault rifle. In addition, the germane and russian chopped up their main battle rifle rounds to come up with the intermediate cartridge. The 8mm amuser was chopped into the 8mm kurz. And the 762x54r was chopped into the 762x39 ak round. While the m16s.223 Winchester. Was a civilian cartridge right off the bat.

Going full circle. The ar became the m16 then civilian versions are now once again called AR. AR does not stand for assault rifle but armalite rifle. The first folks that originally manufactured the gun. Colt took over most of the manufacturing of the M 16 because armalite was not big enough to supply the demand.

So nowadays. A lot of people have the AR 15 sporting rifle. It is a good civilian rifle that went to war then back. Updated versions with automatic capabilities are still in service with our troops. It is the longest rifle in service with our military and a staple for the American sportsman. It is an icon of America. To other around the world. It is a symbol of freedom. The good guys carry AR rifles while the bad guys have AK rifles.

It is a sporting rifle that happens to serve well as a defensive tool. It can be called upon to defend life and liberty. Just like the many men and women of our armed forces. What could be better than a rifle the reflects our heritage? This is why we love the AR.

Many in our government want to ban this icon of America. They have misrepresented it into something that is evil. They have done this by disinformation. It is our duty to educate others with facts. Give them options. For ideas can not be banned. With more informed people. We can battle in the arena of ideas and win against those that seek to destroy freedom.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I had a talk with my father on the topic of AR-15s.

He compared them to the M2HB machinegun that he fired once long ago, and thought it was a perfectly valid comparison.

He and I see eye to eye on most topics regarding politics, religion, etc. but I fear he's a lost cause here. Sadly, he probably views me in much the same manner. :(

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The 60gr V-max's used to be my choice, till I accidentally found out about their penetrating capabilities... :innocent0

For the 5.56/.223 rifles, I like the varmint grenades as well.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    DHS is planning on purchasing about 7000 new Assault rifles. The real selective fire version because theY are suitable for use as a personal defense weapon aka PDW.

According to DHS a machine-gun is suitable for personal defense ,especially in close quarter encounters because of it's high rate of fire and large magazine capacity. Most hold about 30 rounds.

At the same time. Gun grabbers see no use for these types of weapons. The semi automatic version. The non - machine-gun civilian version has been designated as an Assault Weapon.

What could be better for protection than a personal defense weapon? So. With this logic. I don't want a semi automatic rifle anymore. Machineguns are better for personal defense. At least that is the stance of the department of homeland security.

The take away is. Machineguns are personal defense weapons and semi automatic sporting rifles are assault weapons. Does this imply that deadlier weapons are better for defensive purposes?

Clear as mud.

Buddy, i hope you dont mind. I wanna copy and put on FB

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The 60gr V-max's used to be my choice, till I accidentally found out about their penetrating capabilities... :innocent0

For the 5.56/.223 rifles, I like the varmint grenades as well.

Plz elaborate! I personally like th 60gr nosler so far. But the 75gr horandy hp's are becoming my favorite if i had more to shoot. Im really excited for the 77gr noslers. This is all from just plain accuracy. Havent tested expansion or anythig.

Also how good have the barnes done? My buddy loaded a crap ton of them but hasnt shot them yet.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    What I do not understand is why libtards can get away with judging the book by it's cover. So called assault weapons are targeted for prohibition due to appearing like their fully automatic machine-gun counterparts.

If we apply that way of thinking across the board. Then 75 percent of young men in Prince Georges county and Baltimore should be jailed for dressing up like gang- bangers. That logic is flawed but when applied to 2A and weapons. It is acceptable to a lot of people.

Ignorance sparks fear. Politicians use fear tactics to spread mis-information to promote an agenda. As gun owners and supporters of the second amendment. It is our duty to educate people about issues that will affect all of us.

We are also the the last folks that want to see firearms used in an illegal or unsafe manner.

Sociopaths abound in any society. School shootings happen as it terrorizes everyone to the core. It is not a coincidence that all these mass shootings occur in gun free zones. Soft targets are favored by cowards.

My rifle allows me to be independent. It provides an effective means of protection from criminals. It is a tool of freedom. Legally owning one is tangible proof that one is indeed free.

The simple answer is that the media and modern pop culture are all libtards as well. They can get away with charging millions for a 30 second Super Bowl add on the premise that it will convince you to buy brand x, but then cry foul and that we are ridiculous when we say the violent culture on movies and TV influence young adults.

We need to be more active in defining the argument and spend less time reacting to their definitions. We need to get more of our activists into main stream media and TV. The Alternative media is great, but the average American is not watching that, they're watching the Kardashians.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    But we shouldn't use AR-15s for home defense because women can't handle them and rifles are easier to use anyway.... Goddamn these idiots make me want to scream

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2013/01/25/Dem-Rep-Women-Shouldnt-Have-AR-15s-Because-Traditional-Rifles-Are-Easier-For-Females-To-Use

thats funny. I have a story on that...

when i met my now-fiance, she was terrified of my Bushmaster. She said it looked scarey and there was no way she would be able to shoot it. I took my time and started her with .22 and got her comfortable with shooting and safe handling.

This went on for about 2-3 months and i finally convinced her to try my AR. we set her up for bench shooting and i had her fire 1 round. She looked up at the target and asked if she could try again...and again, each time she fired i could see her face change from apprehension to excitement, she was having a great time with it. She made note that the recoil really wasnt anything like she expected.

So after that first time at the range with my AR, she inisisted i take it everytime we went. Soon i was having trouble getting it away from her, until finally she asked the question....."can we get me an AR of my own?" I was exstatic so now she has her own Spikes AR, and believe me, she can shoot it just as good as anyone i have seen.

After getting her the Spikes, she now has had all of her female relatives that visit ( keep in mind most of her family is not real supportive of firearms) shoot it and they all love it. They have to a one said that the perception they had of an AR was completey changed after shooting one.

The MSM had done such a job of demonizing ARs that most people are scared to death of them, that is until you show them the reality of them

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    yeah, it pretty much sucks. I did it during a training class so i could simulate what it would be like in a HD situation.

Mine wasn't a training exercise, but it wasn't too horrible. Did leave my ears ringing, but wasn't too bad.

O4Rwon, let's just say they penetrate flooring and what's beneath very easily. :innocent0

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Mine wasn't a training exercise, but it wasn't too horrible. Did leave my ears ringing, but wasn't too bad.

O4Rwon, let's just say they penetrate flooring and what's beneath very easily. :innocent0

I fired mine down a "hallway" and it was LOUD, my ears were ringing for quite a while, but at least i know what it will be like in my house

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom