Hog Hunting North & South Carolina What Outfitter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Wendy & I just got back from the Harrisburg/NRA Outdoors Show looking for a hog hunt in either North or South Carolina. If you have hunted either state please chime in. What outfitter did you hunt with and how was it? We have a couple that seemed OK and at a fair price but you can say anything but doing is what we are looking for. Thanks Chris

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Buffalo Creek in Selma NC was the only one we found most were from South Carolina. We wanted free range hogs only and not looking for trophies but more for meat. Chris

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    My good friend is up at the show as a vendor (charter fishing). He goes to SC every year. I will ask him and let you know. I plan on going with him this year. If I forget PM me. I will know by Friday.

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    I am going to try the Double D ranch in Ohio in April.Going to take my highschool son, and meet my Air Force son for a hunt. I can let you know how it goes if interested. It is a high fence operation. They butcher on site, so we can take "finished" products home to MD or to Wright Patterson.. Good luck!
    Pablo

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    We talked to a few from South Carolina that were free range. Just about all were hunt from stands going out twice a day (morning/afternoon) near feeders. Shots were said to be 75 to 150 yds depending on the stand. Blackwater Hunting Services in Ulmer SC were real nice folks. Bang's Paradise Valley Hunting Club in Ehrhardt were very motived, stated nice hogs and great food. Buckeye Hunting Lodge in Brunson were also worth talking to. We are still digesting the info from the show. Again we are looking for meat hogs more then trophy so 400 lbs would be nice but a nice 150-200 lbs will fill the coolers. Chris

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    If you want meat talk to an amish or menonite right here in maryland so you atleast get your moneys worth. You are gonna pay alot of money to meat shoot a pig that aint fit for pork chops.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    We have a house in North Carolina (Outer Banks) and go 2-3 times a year. I know a few locals and fish with a couple. Everytime I inquire about hunting pigs, they always tell me to head south to SC. Apparently, they do get them in NC but they don't last long.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    If you want meat talk to an amish or menonite right here in maryland so you atleast get your moneys worth. You are gonna pay alot of money to meat shoot a pig that aint fit for pork chops.

True but something about wild meat and their diet brings out a different flavor. We killed a few a couple of years ago tasty. We had Noble Road Butchers (Amishman) smoke the hams you talk about sweet. Plus it's tons of fun shooting them. Chris

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    I hunted with Bostick Plantation in SC several years ago. 6 of us went and 3 of us killed hogs. Hunted from tree stands over bait. We initially bowhunted their bow only area but we didn't see much because turkey season had just ended and they just started baiting that area the day before we got there. We ended up switching to the gun area that had been baited earlier and we had some luck. Killed mine while walking to the stand with the only gun I brought a 44 mag.
    All in all not a bad trip, worth the money. I cant remember exactly what we paid but it was a deal from the Harrisburg show around $350 for 3 days included lodging , no food. This was about 10 years ago so I'm sure prices have changed. It was also cheaper because we went in April or May, not prime time. It was very hot, another reason we didn't see a lot.
    The other thing they offered everyone after day two if you weren't successful yet was a hunt with dogs (more money of course, but guaranteed kill) I had already killed one but I went along with a group and video taped it. I have to say it was pretty exciting, chasing the howling dogs through thick brush, running for a tree when the hog broke loose. Neat experience.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I think we have settled on BlackWater Hunting Services in Ulmer SC. They seem to be the most honest of the bunch. I felt like I was talking to a Guide/Hunter not a used car salesman. From the videos online it looks like a fun straight forward hunt. I'll let everyone know how it was after the hunt. Chris

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Leaving for my first hog hunt this Friday. Going to the Buck and Boar Lodge just outside of Columbia, SC. It's a group hunt and the guys who've been before swear by it. Will post results on return.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I think we have settled on BlackWater Hunting Services in Ulmer SC. They seem to be the most honest of the bunch. I felt like I was talking to a Guide/Hunter not a used car salesman. From the videos online it looks like a fun straight forward hunt. I'll let everyone know how it was after the hunt. Chris

Rates close to the following:
    $350.00 per day (2 day min.)
    2 Hogs /day 1 at a.m. hunt and 1 at p.m. hunt
    $150.00 for an additional Hog taken on an a.m. or p.m. hunt

Lodging and meals included
    $150.00 per day for Non-Hunter
    (private rooms when available $50.00 per hunt)

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    http://www.redblufflodge.com $550 day hunts $675 night hunts. Jim was at Harrisburg.

They have an A-10 night vision platform they will let you use to shoot at night. Not something that appeals to me, but if that's your thing.

More expensive than most, but they use game cameras to see which baits are active. Hogs travel in packs. My son hunted somewhere in Estill, SC, none of his group got a hog.

I've hunted deer with them for years. 400 pound hogs aren't that common. My 125# sow tasted fine, well the ribs did not, but that may have been the cooks fault.

The 15# hogs are "puppy cute" taste good too.

BTW the SC deer season runs from mid-August until the end of Dec.
    Henry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom