• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerielg

Old Guy
    Jan 10, 2010
    Paw Paw, WV
    So I have a new Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec with 4-16x scope. What types of competitions are available in which I can use this rifle. I've read a little about benchrest, F class and F class T/R but frankly, I'm a little confused about the rules for each. Also, are there any coaches or training available.

Thanks,

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    There are the modified F-class matches at Quantico. You get all the info and coaching you need there. :party29:

There is also the tactical precision match at Mayberry. Not much coaching but you can ask folks lots of questions and learn as you go. These are fun matches to shoot. The course of fire is different every time which keeps you on your toes in a good way. :thumbsup:

Just keep an eye out on this forum for all the different matches.

So I have a new Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec with 4-16x scope. What types of competitions are available in which I can use this rifle. I've read a little about benchrest, F class and F class T/R but frankly, I'm a little confused about the rules for each. Also, are there any coaches or training available.

Thanks,

NateG

Oct 16, 2009
    VA
    The Quantico long range (and mid-range) matches are a good place to start (so's Bridgeville, DE). The "modified" F-class matches are the least formal, but don't be scared off by the formal NRA matches, either.

As far as the rules go, F-class rules.

Short version:
    Equipment F/TR-.223 or .308, shot off a front bipod, rear sandbag, total rifle-and-bipod weight of 8.25kg (a little over 18 pounds). F/Open-most any front rest, including benchrest-style rests. Any cartridge not bigger than .35 caliber, 22 pound weight limit. No muzzle brakes in either class. (The "modified" matches are pretty much anything goes--muzzle brakes are allowed, for example)

Course of fire: at one or more of 300/500/600/800/900/1000 yards, either 2 or unlimited sighters, followed by 15 or 20 shots for record, time limits are 1.5 minutes per record shot beyond 600 yards, one minute per record and sighting shot at 600 and shorter. The shooter shoots a shot, someone in the pits pulls the target down, marks the shot location and score, and runs it back up for the next shot.

But the best way to start would to show up, bring a bunch of good ammo (Assuming it's in .308, your barrel probably won't be long enough to shoot the 155s at 1000, and 168MKs will be frustration at 1000, so 175s or heavier match ammo should be good. 155s or 168 would work just fine at 600 or shorter) and tell the match director that you're new. I would expect him to set you up with someone to get you going.

I'm a prone shooter (conventional long range with a sling-and-silly-coat rather than a rest) and across-the-course shooter, but there are plenty of good F-class shooters here that can help you out with the specifics. And I don't know a thing about benchrest. But I think you might get frustrated with benchrest with a stock factory gun--but, like I said, I don't know much about benchrest.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    You missed the modified F-class match at Quantico yesterday. Don't worry, there'll be another one soon enough. Show up with 65 rounds of 175 gr ammo and a good zero (could be 100, 200, 300 yards; whatever). Other people can help you out with the dope you'll need to get on paper at 800 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom