Harwood, Md.
    Submitted July 17
    Accepted July 28
    Assigned August 26
    Rejected September 9
    Informal review requested September 9
    Informal review confirmation September 13
    Informal review October 8

I was rejected for possession and distribution of CDS. Only problem is, ive never been even charged… let alone convicted of this. I have a clean background. The best part is, when they sent my rejection letter along with my CJIS report, the CJIS reporting is clean… can’t make this stuff up.

I called MSP and was told the charge on the HGP is for someone with a different middle name than me and that it clearly appears to be an error and was told “This is why we have the review process” but they wouldn’t change the outcome until I go through the review… in almost a month.

I respect that we’re all human and make mistakes. I have a tough time that when you choose to reject someone, you don’t double check your work.. dotting your I’s and Crossing your T’s. They only do reviews on Saturdays and thus I couldn’t schedule it for 3 weeks. So now, I’ll be doing this review in the middle of a mini vacation my wife and I have scheduled… right in the middle of a Saturday at 1pm.

**Update**
    After posting this thread, I decided to try and press this issue a little harder with MSP. I reached out to the investigator again, asking for more information and where I can get more results. My bases was that, Maryland is now a shall issue state and I felt that it was now the burden of the state to demonstrate why I could not have this permit and that I felt they had not done so in accordance to MD P.S. 5-306. I got a lot of run around from her and she was about as helpful as **** on a bull.

I decided to email the Trooper in charge of my informal and ask for a little more clarity so that we didn't waste each others time at the hearing. My email is below.

"

Good Afternoon. Last Friday, 9 September I received a notification that my Maryland HGP was "disapproved" before receiving a letter of denial a few days later. In the denial it was indicated that I was denied for:

1) A PERSON HAS BEEN CONVICTED OF A CRIME INVOLVING THE POSSESSION, USE OR DISTRIBUTION OF A CONTROLLED DANGEROUS SUBSTANCE (MD P.S. 5-306(A)(3)).

In calling the Licensing Division I was told that they believed the charge was related to someone with a different middle name than mine (Christopher Shane Mossburg, Vs. my name, Christopher Blaine Mossburg) but that that I would receive a letter in the mail with my CJIS report that would tell me more clearly.

I've received the formal letter of denial this week along with said CJIS report. The CJIS report was limited to the two charges that I anticipated:

• 1) TRK# 020005404285, 6/7/09 - Disorderly Conduct with a Guilt Verdict (Plea) to which I was given a PBJ
    • 2) TRK# 020005402815, 5/16/09 - Disturbing the Peace Hindering Passage which was Nolle Pros by the States Attorney's office.

In an attempt to respect your time for our scheduled 8 Oct informal review, I am looking to understand:

• If this denial was a clerical error as indicated by the MSP Licensing division call taker
    • What was the TRK/Case # that were grounds for disapproval?
    • Is there something not indicated in your letter or the CJIS findings that I am unaware of.

Thanks for you for any assistance and have a good weekend,
    "

The Trooper did reach back out and told me that he would have someone take a look at it and get back with me (this was on the 16th). Today, I received a call from one of his guys letting me know that they looked into it and will be overturning their decision without the informal to be on the lookout for my permit. He spent some time apologizing, etc etc and we got off the phone. Within just a few minutes I got the email from MSP that my HGP was approved and am looking forward to getting it in the mail.

I know MSP get's a lot of heat in our community but I think it's important to give credit where credit is due. First Sergeant McCrory, was very "easy to do business" with and the Trooper that he put in contact with me this morning was as well. I was on the phone with my bosses, bosses, boss when he called and he actually called me 3 times in a row which allowed me to finally take the call. Really appreciate these guys making it right and getting things cleared up without waiting the additional weeks.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I heard a story long ago about an applicant for a police dept. Investigator called MSP and asked why they rejected him, they said because he had x and x on his record. They had the wrong middle name. The other agency hired him and he became a superstar.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    So...I guess they glossed over things like your ssn and driver's license number? What BS.

It sounds almost like identity theft...really really lazy identity theft

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I heard a story long ago about an applicant for a police dept. Investigator called MSP and asked why they rejected him, they said because he had x and x on his record. They had the wrong middle name. The other agency hired him and he became a superstar.
    God works in strange ways!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Isn't there this thing called a social security number that would differentiate between people even if they had totally identical names? Amazing I tell you

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Isn't there this thing called a social security number that would differentiate between people even if they had totally identical names? Amazing I tell you
    LOL People don't put their SSN because they don't want the gov't to "have their information". LOL

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My Dad got a visit on a warrant a few years ago. "he" was wanted for driving on a revoked license and expired tags while driving recklessly and failure to appear.

Turns out, same deal. Same first and last name. Different middle name. Of course, different social and last known address. And ethnicity. And age.

And wrong side of the country. The guy that was being looked for did all this in California. Was a California resident. Was in his 30s, Asian, and the vehicle being driven was registered to the guy and was a 1990s Civic.

My Dad at the time was in his 60s, white (surprisingly was white then, and still white now), hasn't been to California in more than 20 years, has never owned or had a Civic registered to him. It took MSP about 2 minutes of interview him to "realize" they were speaking to the wrong person. But they had to be sure...despite the fact that they were holding a printout of the person's picture they were looking for. No, showing his driver's license to them was NOT enough. They actually questioned him after that for a few questions like "when was the last time you were out of state? Have you been to California recently?". My Dad had to ask for the warrant and calmly pointed out the warrant was for someone with a different middle name and age, and when the trooper looked at that and then my Dad's license in his hand again the trooper did a "oh...yeah". My Dad then nicely pointed out the picture shows a young Asian guy with hair...not an old white bald guy with a beard.

He got a very defensive "Well we have to check this kind of stuff" before the troopers apologized for wasting his time and left.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    LOL People don't put their SSN because they don't want the gov't to "have their information". LOL
    LOL at not wanting to give the government info that was issued by government. Even if it's federal info, the state already has it unless you were somehow born off the books on a back mountain somewhere, never got a DL and never filed a tax return.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    of course. You can't submit without it IIRC.
    It's optional on a 4473 but unsure about the HGP app. Either way such a mixup is inexcusable since you provided it. Unbelievable

My old man had his license suspended years ago. Transposition error supposedly, they mistyped the actual guilty party's DL# or some such nonsense. It took weeks of fighting with the MVA. He finally went in to a branch and got someone higher up who basically said "yeah, Glen Burnie is staffed by idiots. I will see to this personally" and actually fixed it.

Said it many times. The government can't pick up your garbage on time dependably but we must route much of our lives through them.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    nah because his SSN is probably being used by 17 illegals..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom