• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Might need to do a 12.5 with maybe a 11 or 11.5 hg n same with the 300blk run a 9 or 9.5 hg for the 10.5 barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is a 12.5 with a 12” hg looks like it’s inside no?
    4b76842b288d3ae4109b0812068a721c.jpg

This is a 12.5 with a 12” hg looks like it’s inside no?
    4b76842b288d3ae4109b0812068a721c.jpg

Are you buying that upper? That is a 12.7" hand guard. They don't make a 12" HG in that design.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've built a lot of tucked and semi-tucked ARs to run suppressed. Have used them in tactical classes, competition, and one serves as my home defense carbine. There are some "rules" to follow so the build works, and gets the benefits of a short OAL, long handguard without drawbacks, like burning your hand, or damaging the front of the handguard.

First is to measure, and determine where the can will sit, and make sure you have clearance. the shoulder of the muzzle threads take up about 1/2", for 5.56/300bo the barrel length to the muzzle is equal to the measured handguard length. In AR9s, the muzzle is 1/2" shorter than the handguard, CMMG pattern AR22 is 1.25" shorter. So if you have a 4.5" 22 barrel, subtract .5" for the muzzle threads for a DT can, and 1.25" for the difference in length = the back of the can would be flush with a 2.75" handguard. If it is a 5" can, a 7.25" handguard would leave .5" of can sticking out. Also be aware of the ID of the handguard, rimfire cans are about 1", so most handguards will tuck them. Pistol cal cans are usually 1.375" ID, and rifle cal are 1.5 or larger, so you will need a fairly large ID handguard.

The mount matters, especially if you want to shoot without the can attached. I run Griffin taper mounts on rifle cal, DT on rimfire, and 3 lug on 9mm PCCs. Other mounts like the ALS can't tuck because you need to turn the lock ring on the can. Some mounts are longer, or mount the can forward or behind the barrel thread shoulder. Griffin taper mounts seat the back edge of the can even with the barrel's thread shoulder, and you can attach a can turning it by the muzzle. Griffin makes a lot of muzzle devices, the 2.25" long linear comp allows you to run a handguard about 1.75" longer than the barrel of a rifle cal build, and still clear the muzzle. The general rule is that a flash hider needs 1/4" clearance from the rearmost part of the port to the front edge of the handguard, brakes need an inch as the muzzle blast blows at a rearward angle, linear comps and flash cans can be flush.

Heat is one of the most common issues with tucking cans. It really isn't an issue with rimfire, you can dump mag after mag, and the handguard will just warm up a little, so no problem to completely tuck a can. 9mm will heat faster, but much depends on the can, an aluminum pistol can will get hot and fast, a steel rifle rated/PCC can will handle heat better, and won't get the handguard as hot when tucked. You can completely tuck a pistol can with a 1.5" handguard, and some like the MI SP series are great at heat management, but for most tucking half the can's baffle stack will reduce some heat on the handguard. For rifle calibers, the can gets screaming hot in a single mag, so the mount is about all you want to tuck, and keeps almost all of the handguard from getting too hot to hold. The baffle stack gets the hottest, and takes the longest to cool down, flat out don't tuck the stack area of a rifle caliber can, it will get that handguard too hot really quick. The mount and blast chamber area of the can can be partially tucked, works well with 300BO subs as they don't get as hot as supers and 5.56. For supersonic rifle cal builds, I like a skinny handguard and to leave the can untucked.

Here are some of my suppressed SBRs to get an idea, all can be shot with or without a can
    top: 5.56 with a 9.25" handguard and 10.5" barrel flash hider/ Sico 36M
    300BO 9.25" handguard, 9" barrel, linear comp / 3.5" flash can
    300BO 7.25" handguard, 6" barrel, linear comp / Griffin Xplorr 300 (almost exclusively subs)
    9mm 9.25" handguard, 5.25" barrel, 3 lug / Griffin optimus 9 (requires a 3 lug flash can to shoot unsuppressed from in lead we trust)
    AR22 7.25" handguard, 4.5" barrel, direct thread / DA Mask (requires 5" KVP linear comp to protect threads and shoot unsuppressed)

20231109_155033.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom