• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    So I’m about to build 2 sbr’s one a 300blk with a 10.5” barrel and a 5.56 with a 12.5”. What’s the best handguard length for both that will make it look like this pic with a comp, but at the same time work with a suppressor? I basically don’t wanna see the barrel out the handguard but dont want issues if I shoot without the suppressor.
    7afc045ba0ba21c4ccca0be5ec5ac08b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Unless you want a suppressor to go inside it, I would go 10" and 12". There may be some fractions with some brands(10.5" or12.6"). I would try to stay with exact measurements if at all possible.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    BTW, do not mount any scope or sight the way that sight is mounted in your picture(I know you already know, this is for others who may not).

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Unless you want a suppressor to go inside it, I would go 10" and 12". There may be some fractions with some brands(10.5" or12.6"). I would try to stay with exact measurements if at all possible.

I kinda do but I don’t want it being a problem to put on or take off.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Once I sight in with a can that gun never gets shot without one. If the barrel is shorter than the hand guard I’d never shoot the gun without a can that clears the hand guard. Other than tri lug or direct thread your going to want the barrel to extend past the hand guard. You won’t know the length of the hand guard you need until you know the length of the can and consider the other points I mentioned. GL

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Once I sight in with a can that gun never gets shot without one. If the barrel is shorter than the hand guard I’d never shoot the gun without a can that clears the hand guard. Other than tri lug or direct thread your going to want the barrel to extend past the hand guard. You won’t know the length of the hand guard you need until you know the length of the can and consider the other points I mentioned. GL

So basically if I go with a barrel that fits just cozy enough where the can is inside the handguard just forget about taking it off ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ratchet mounts are GTG. Mounts like Surefire SOCOMs are not. You need access to the collar.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So basically if I go with a barrel that fits just cozy enough where the can is inside the handguard just forget about taking it off ?

I would not think that way. You will always need to take a can off.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Yes you’ll want to be able to take the can off without having to take off the hand guard. That said some hand guards are not too bad to take off.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Yes you’ll want to be able to take the can off without having to take off the hand guard. That said some hand guards are not too bad to take off.

Yea I seen I think it’s SI who has a handguard that has a release at the bottom, however I don’t know how that will last with recoil and abuse.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Realizing aluminum displaces heat rapidly I’m still wondering how hot the handguard will be around the can. I would think that’s a no go zone.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Realizing aluminum displaces heat rapidly I’m still wondering how hot the handguard will be around the can. I would think that’s a no go zone.

I thought about that, but I’ve seen so many videos with the can inside the Hg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I shoot an AR9 with a 5" barrel where the HG covers most of the can. Heat has never been a problem, but then it's a 9mm and not 5.56. With tri-lug, direct thread, or ratchet mounts, he could go longer with the hand guards. I'd recommend the HG be suppressor rated(wider) so as to allow better air circulation around the can if he goes HG over suppressor.

It's always nice to test new ammo without the suppressor on.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    I shoot an AR9 with a 5" barrel where the HG covers most of the can. Heat has never been a problem, but then it's a 9mm and not 5.56. With tri-lug, direct thread, or ratchet mounts, he could go longer with the hand guards. I'd recommend the HG be suppressor rated(wider) so as to allow better air circulation around the can if he goes HG over suppressor.

It's always nice to test new ammo without the suppressor on.

I ask cause I saw this upper from Aero that I’d be curious to purchase with the lower but the HG is 12” so that only leaves .5 which ain’t much lol https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-p...eiver-m4e1-t-5-56-nato-w-s-one-handguard.html

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    A 10" HG should end right at the shoulder of the muzzle of a 10.5" barrel and a 12" HG should end at the same point on a 12.5" barrel. The only thing left sticking out beyond that point is the threaded part of the barrel.

This is a 12.5 with a 12” hg looks like it’s inside no?
    4b76842b288d3ae4109b0812068a721c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom