• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TechnicalTaco

MDS Supporter
    Sep 12, 2020
    Northern Calvert
    Yeah, whenever I have people from outside the area visit, they always comment on how quiet it is out here. Plus the parks. If you have kids or just enjoy the outdoors, be sure to check out the parks and beaches here, if you haven't already. There's a ton.

Yep. Found one park in Dunkirk when we were home shopping. Later that day we walked around North Beach. Finding these little perks played a huge role in decided to live in the area.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    What town did you move into? I am in Huntingtown. I grew up down here so I can point you to the parks to take kids to.

TechnicalTaco

MDS Supporter
    Sep 12, 2020
    Northern Calvert
    DC area traffic has surpassed LA in douchiness.

Just different styles of douchiness. In LA, people are really good at being bad drivers. In the DMV, people are really bad at being bad drivers.

I’ve never seen people driving 25 mph on the freeway with their hazard lights on during a heavy drizzle until I moved here.

I’ve also never understood why people drive 10mph under the speed limit when there’s a speed cam.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    East Owings. Huntingtown was on our radar. Very nice looking area.

Kings landing park (huntingtown) - Public hunting, fishing pier, kayak launch, public pool, horse riding trails, hiking trails. No playground.

Huntingtown- the end of Smokey rd - there is public hunting land, a fishing pier (cat fish are mostly what I have caught there). The pier is about a mile walk from the parking lot unless you have a handicapped pass then you can drive back to it. It is farmed land which makes for a nice walk when the corn is up.

Fishing pier at the end of lower Marlboro road In west owings.

Dunkirk park - playgrounds, ball fields, skate park, tennis and basketball courts.

Ward road in Dunkirk there is a new nature park. I am not sure if it is open yet. It is several hundred acres of hiking trails.

North beach. There is the board walk and the public beach.

Chesapeake beach - the water park, brownies beach, the community center for indoor basketball,and the railway museum

Huntingtown/Prince Frederick has the Chestnut land trails. I think it is about 13 miles from end to end.

Prince Frederick Hallowing point park (playground, ball fields, tennis & basketball courts), public boat ramp, The planetarium at Calvert High school ( pretty cool shows or the universe and space come up on the schedule) and cypress swamps nature center.

Further south in the county you have Calvert cliffs state park, Flag Ponds nature park, cove point park and water park, the board walk in Solomons, And the Marine museum.

The Saint Leonard VFD and the Marine Museum usually (pre COVID-19) both had concerts several times a year with big name artists.

There are probably a lot more that I am forgetting but, that should get you started with exploring Calvert.

TechnicalTaco

MDS Supporter
    Sep 12, 2020
    Northern Calvert
    Parttimer, thank you! I’m going to share that list with my wife.

Are there any good public outdoor shooting ranges in the area? One big thing I miss about California is being allowed to drive to the desert and shoot whatever/wherever I want on BLM (Bureau of Land Management, not the other BLM) property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    The closest outdoor public range is Myrtle Grove over in Charles County.
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/publiclands/southern/myrtlegrove.aspx

I've been there a few times it's ok. Only 100 yds and not very big. Best to go on a weekday. Upper Marlboro has Maryland Small Arms, which is indoor and can get crowded on weekends although I've found that going on Sunday afternoon during football season isn't too bad.
    https://www.msar.com/

St. Marys county has Sanners Lake, but you have to be a member except some events are open to the public.
    https://www.sannerslake.org/

PG county has a club too, but the name escapes me right now.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I’m originally from southern CA but have been living in VA for the last 6 years. Just moved to Calvert county with my wife and daughter. All my conservative friends asked why I was leaving VA for MD...

1. Between tolls and traffic, I-66 has been slowly killing me.
    2. Gov. Northam is an idiot and VA is inevitably going to be blue or bluer than MD.
    3. I found a nice house and price was right.
    4. If I’m going to commute to DC, I might as well live closer to the water.

Anyway. I look forward to making MD my forever home. If you see me driving around CB in my old yellow Toyota pickup, say hey.

Tim

Welcome to NY Lite, I live in Calvert and did the commute thing for 15 years. Almost settled in VA but like you the tolls and the traffic was not what this country boy liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom