• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt60158

Apr 4, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Has anyone looked into opportunities for citizens to volunteer in helping to process background checks? I am sure many members would be more than willing to help us expedite the process. Assuming this is not limited to police only. Thoughts?

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I don't think its a good idea to take someone off the street to help with background checks. Think of what would happen if something was missed. It's also not a good idea to let someone look at all the personal info of purchasers.

I don't think that the state wants to perform in a timely manner. If they did they would allow designated collectors with three pending background checks to be lumped together once the first one is completed.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Matt,

Welcome to the forum. That is a great idea. I wish Maryland was open minded to allow volunteer help, but I to think they really do not want the process to go faster. I think it is a fair question to be asked and should be asked.

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    That thought has crossed my mind as well, but I agree with the above post. I don't think the MSP is in any hurry to get caught up on paperwork.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It couldnt be done in a proper time period.

To access the database you need a several day school and the FBI is going to want a fairly good backround check before giving you access.

Furthermore I dont want some Joe-Idiot off the streets looking at papers with my name, address, social security number, signature, DOB etc.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    Has anyone looked into opportunities for citizens to volunteer in helping to process background checks? I am sure many members would be more than willing to help us expedite the process. Assuming this is not limited to police only. Thoughts?

I think there is too much confidential information. If an applicant tries to streamline the process by including his SSN, that form has just about everything someone needs to steal his identity.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    maybe thet could get the inmates with computer skills to help too, i mean look at baltimore recently with maybe a little better guidance from higher up maybe 3 of the guards wouldnt have gotten pregnant.

garyad

It couldnt be done in a proper time period.

To access the database you need a several day school and the FBI is going to want a fairly good backround check before giving you access.

Furthermore I dont want some Joe-Idiot off the streets looking at papers with my name, address, social security number, signature, DOB etc.

That might be true, perhaps people with a TS clearance or better could help out.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Civilians can do certain parts of the background check, but some of the databases are LEO only.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I can tell you that anyone who gets near the terminal, the telecom circuit, or even the wires that go to NCIC have to get background checked out the ying yang. I just went through that issue at work, and I don't even have access to the darned thing. Just being in the same room with it triggers things.

So I suspect that pretty much precludes any volunteer work, other than possibly shuffling papers around or something.

Nice idea, but I am pretty sure it is a non-starter. I like your line of thinking though, trying to come up with solutions is a good thing.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    how about the State Trooper Cadets , Heck in Bmt & Ait we did drills to stay up 24 to 42 hours straight . This will lessen the overflow and be good training for the cadets, in case some terrorist holes up in B'more. Remember its for the children so Rain Man and the GA will love it .

jaysfiveohhh

Dec 15, 2012
    Baltimore MD
    its gunna be employees only. civilian and all but u have to work for msp. and as far as not being in a rush they are working 23 hours a day. out sourcing certain parts of the process to other msp departments and are planning to hire SEVERAL more people to help catch up since there is no slowing down in the forseeable future. so they are def workin their butts off in order to get us our guns. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom