• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eyego11

Apr 28, 2013
    I suspect there is a red fox in my area that may have rabies. I live near animal farms and I have seen it in the road while driving. I don't know if it has rabies but it was dripping with water and slowly walked as my car approached it which they usually run. If I see it on my property in Harford County is it legal to shoot on site? I don't know if this is legal.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I suspect there is a red fox in my area that may have rabies. I live near animal farms and I have seen it in the road while driving. I don't know if it has rabies but it was dripping with water and slowly walked as my car approached it which they usually run. If I see it on my property in Harford County is it legal to shoot on site? I don't know if this is legal.

Sounds like it could be rabid. With rabies animals (and people) become afraid to swallow saliva, thus the drooling or "foaming at the mouth". I would call animal control.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I had a similar incident in Crownsville about a month ago. Rabies is epidemic in our area. I called animal control too but of course by the time they got out to investigate the fox was gone. However it lets them track where the hot spots are, and sometimes they can spot and remove the animal.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    if you do a google search on rabid fox behavior, you can match up what you have observed. also, go to the nearest police precinct to see if you can discharge your firearm legally in your area. finally, if all measures have been made to secure the animal safely and haven't succeeded, make sure your neighbors are in the know and that if the fox comes back and you do use your firearm, be absolutely sure that if you over-penetrate the guy, where will the bullet go? in other words, know your target and what is beyond.

I put a rabid raccoon down last year which meant i text my neighbors, moved our vehicles and the gas grill and studied the projectiles tragectory well before i pulled the trigger. if you do down the animal, call animal control to come out and take the carcass away. they will only test the body if the animal has come into contact with humans or pets. good luck.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I didn't hear anything. I thought it was a firecracker. Unless you are in a townhouse community, I am sure you could handle the situation without too much trouble.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

Attachments

• redd_foxx.jpg
      redd_foxx.jpg
      69.1 KB · Views: 417

reptileguy99

Apr 6, 2013
    i had one at work last year in baltimore county it wasnt rabid but had mange DNR said they would handle it if it had them but mange they wouldnt it was slepping on door steps and all so i would call dnr

Feb 28, 2013
    :mad54:

If you don't live in a real densely populated area I'd shoot the damn thing anyway. Just make sure you take the shot from an elevated position to protect against overpenetration.

Somehow I think your neighbors would be grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom