• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    From a distance not having the situation in hand, I think I would look carefully at the critical areas of the stock you removed (perhaps take careful measurements) and compare to the critical areas on the new stock to determine if and how much adjustment would be necessary for a reasonable fit. keeping in mind the other stock failed and should not be used as a total guide.
    And yeah everything on an Indian rifle that did not need to be given additional shaping to be a little rounder was left squared.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    From a distance not having the situation in hand, I think I would look carefully at the critical areas of the stock you removed (perhaps take careful measurements) and compare to the critical areas on the new stock to determine if and how much adjustment would be necessary for a reasonable fit. keeping in mind the other stock failed and should not be used as a total guide.
    And yeah everything on an Indian rifle that did not need to be given additional shaping to be a little rounder was left squared.

The lip of the stock that sits behind the charger bridge is definitely a little longer than on the original stock, but the main issue with the original is the fact that the draws were so rotten, the charger bridge was slamming back against that lip in the stock upon recoil. I just didn't know enough about the rifle to recognize how messed up it was when I got it, or it would have gone back to Dennis @ Empire. It is impressive the rifle shot as well as it did with how much that action was moving around.

It had the draws arsenal repaired many, many years ago with new wood blocks and dowels, but they were rotten and soft by the time I got it. Now the entire rear of the forend is one soft, cracked mess. I'm sure someone with great stock skills could salvage it, but not me.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    toolness1, sorry you're having a major issue with your old No. 1. As others have said, we could help more if we saw it in person.

The DP stock you got from Springfield should fit your rifle's action fine with little (if any) mods needed - IF your rifle has not been modified.

Several years ago I de-bubba'd a 1916 England No.1 using a DP stock from SS. As I recall it was tricky to seat the action into the stock -> getting the charging bridge into it's cutout first -> then dropping the forward action and barrel down into the stock next worked.

In the pics below you can see I had more clearance for the charging bridge in the DP stock than in the original. But it still took some care to seat the action.

The lip of the stock that sits behind the charger bridge is definitely a little longer than on the original stock, but the main issue with the original is the fact that the draws were so rotten, the charger bridge was slamming back against that lip in the stock upon recoil. I just didn't know enough about the rifle to recognize how messed up it was when I got it, or it would have gone back to Dennis @ Empire. It is impressive the rifle shot as well as it did with how much that action was moving around.

It had the draws arsenal repaired many, many years ago with new wood blocks and dowels, but they were rotten and soft by the time I got it. Now the entire rear of the forend is one soft, cracked mess. I'm sure someone with great stock skills could salvage it, but not me.

I get what you say here. To me it sounds a lot like the recoil lugs in the original stock were not in sync with the furniture. And who knows how much hot ammo had been fired through the action before you rescued it. No matter how strong the metal is, if the wood is sh!t you have a major problem.

I wish I could help you more. My thinking is you may have a decent shooting rifle once you get it into its new furniture and feed it very mild reloads.

Good luck.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Right Dsc03431 Closeup Capture.jpg
      Right Dsc03431 Closeup Capture.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 81
    • Right Side 02 Closeup.jpg
      Right Side 02 Closeup.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 84

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    toolness1, sorry you're having a major issue with your old No. 1. As others have said, we could help more if we saw it in person.

The DP stock you got from Springfield should fit your rifle's action fine with little (if any) mods needed - IF your rifle has not been modified.

Several years ago I de-bubba'd a 1916 England No.1 using a DP stock from SS. As I recall it was tricky to seat the action into the stock -> getting the charging bridge into it's cutout first -> then dropping the forward action and barrel down into the stock next worked.

In the pics below you can see I had more clearance for the charging bridge in the DP stock than in the original. But it still took some care to seat the action.

I get what you say here. To me it sounds a lot like the recoil lugs in the original stock were not in sync with the furniture. And who knows how much hot ammo had been fired through the action before you rescued it. No matter how strong the metal is, if the wood is sh!t you have a major problem.

I wish I could help you more. My thinking is you may have a decent shooting rifle once you get it into its new furniture and feed it very mild reloads.

Good luck.

:thumbsup:

I appreciate all the comments from everyone, every little bit of advice helps.

I realized that the action isn't only hitting at the point behind the charger bridge as in the picture I posted, but there's clear imprints in the draws/recoil blocks so it is very tight back there as well. If the stock could slide up a tad more, it might clear that charger bridge, but it can't slide up any more because it is already pressing into the draws quit at bit at that point. It is also very tight against the metal at the wrist.

The bore on this thing is perfect, should be a great shooter once I get it going again. I do reload so I will definitely feed it mild loads.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I would try posting your issues here:http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72
    There are many more 'experts' with these rifles than I've seen in other sights and may be of a great deal of help to you. Post as many pictures of the stock and the current fit as you can and they should be able to offer reasonable advice.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I appreciate all the comments from everyone, every little bit of advice helps.

I realized that the action isn't only hitting at the point behind the charger bridge as in the picture I posted, but there's clear imprints in the draws/recoil blocks so it is very tight back there as well. If the stock could slide up a tad more, it might clear that charger bridge, but it can't slide up any more because it is already pressing into the draws quit at bit at that point. It is also very tight against the metal at the wrist.

The bore on this thing is perfect, should be a great shooter once I get it going again. I do reload so I will definitely feed it mild loads.

Yes, you will probably have to carefully fit the draws to the action as you noted. The good thing is that it appears that there's excess material in the draws which is a good thing! Hardest part is holding the same angle in the draws so as to get full engagement with the action. I would use a sharp narrow chisel and slowly peel away material, test fitting over and over until I got a good, snug fit.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Yes, you will probably have to carefully fit the draws to the action as you noted. The good thing is that it appears that there's excess material in the draws which is a good thing! Hardest part is holding the same angle in the draws so as to get full engagement with the action. I would use a sharp narrow chisel and slowly peel away material, test fitting over and over until I got a good, snug fit.
    Yeah, I was very happy to see not only solid draws, but the fact that they need slightly trimmed instead of built up. Definitely a plus.

Besides the crack in front of the charging bridge, I'm really happy with this stock set. Of course, it should be solid for 120 bucks.....

I do have a nice sharp, small chisel that will be perfect for this job.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I would try posting your issues here:http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72
    There are many more 'experts' with these rifles than I've seen in other sights and may be of a great deal of help to you. Post as many pictures of the stock and the current fit as you can and they should be able to offer reasonable advice.
    Good idea, looks like a lot of experienced guys on there

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom