• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danimalw

Ultimate Member
    Loaded up a batch of 308 for when the virus is over. As I was sitting there trimming case mouths, a thought occurred. Is there an on press solution for progressive case trimming and deburring, or is that always done by hand? I have taken to prepping a batch of cases after i'm finished seating bullets, just so next time I can start with the fun part.

I've thought about that too. My current setup up and process is for rifle brass is: resize and deprime on rockchucker. I use the plastic sterilite boxes instead of loading blocks and can do it quickly. I put brass in one box and spray with Hornady one shot lube, then position that box next to my left thigh. I have a larger plastic box under press, between my knees. Using left hand place case in press, right hand running the press. While right hand is operating handle, left hand is grabbing new brass with thumb and index & middle finger. As soon as handle it full up, I use left hand ring finger to flick resized brass out (gravity takes over and case lands in plastic box) and ready to insert next case.

After sizing I use the rcbs power trimmer and rcbs case boss for trimming and chamfering/deburring. While case trimmer is doing it's thing, I am using the brass boss on the one I just took out. I can trim,chamfer,debur and measure 2 per minute. Those two power tools were game changers for processing large amounts of brass. I also have the Hornady power 3 way power tool (size of red soda can on side) and it works ok, but the brass boss smokes it.

Then I switch to my Hornady LnL with case feeder. I have extra primer tubes so when ready, can load 500 rounds in an hour with prepped brass. And I have so much brass that I'll spend time just processing brass to have it ready to load.

So back to OP... The only progressive I have experience with is the Hornady LnL. The couple issues I had, were quickly resolved with a phone call and replacement parts. A shell plate worked fine without case feeder, but not with feeder, they sent me a new one and was fixed. While learning to use it, I bent the case feeder track wire, and I upgraded to the breakaway (newer version to avoid bending it).

The other accessory I added was a light strip on the press.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Interesting. The picture shows the cutter on an otherwise empty press. Does that mean trimming brass is a separate setup operation?

No, you can incorporate into the sizing station. But you would have to decap separately unless you have a press with five stations or more.

No free lunch, UNLESS you have four stations: Decapm size and prime on station 1. Trim on station 2. Flare/charge on station 3. Seat and crimp on station 4 (not a fan here for most applications). Station 4 could work well with a Lee FCD for rifle.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    In head to head comparisons I watched surfing the ends of Internet videos on youtube, it appeared there are negligible differences btw the Hornady LnL and a Dillon 650 or even 750. Seems similar to Ford/Chevy, Glock/everyone else, etc. The biggest diff btw the LnL and a 650/750 is price for an apples to apples out of the box comparison. Agree? Disagree? And I'm a total newb to this but extremely interested into jumping right in.

I appreciate the guys saying 'go blue' and the buy once, cry once mantra. But are the Dillon's truly $200+ better than the LnL. From what I've watched the answer is no. But I'm genuinely curious about folks who own or have used both. It also appears there are about $200-$400 in options needed. For you folks running progressive presses would you mind detailing your set up and then add-ons (shell feeder, bullet feeder, etc).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I run a Dillon 650.

I have the case feeder. No bullet feeder.

I bought a second primer feed, so I just do two bolts and the primer ram to swap between small and large primers.

I have conversion kits for all the calibers I run on it. There is a site, that once you get some kits, you can see if you can add a caliber without buying the entire kit. For example, the shell holder plate and locator buttons for .45 ACP is the same as for 7.62x51 (.308) and .30-06. Here - http://thegunwiki.com/apps/calconversion/

I have complete tool heads, with powder measure for the main calibers I reload. For the lesser ones, I have a tool head with everything EXCEPT the power measure. I have a few spare powder bars, so instead of having to adjust them from scratch, I swap in the proper bar, and check the charge.

And I have a bunch of primer pickup tubes.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    I run a Dillon 650.

I have the case feeder. No bullet feeder.

I bought a second primer feed, so I just do two bolts and the primer ram to swap between small and large primers.

I have conversion kits for all the calibers I run on it. There is a site, that once you get some kits, you can see if you can add a caliber without buying the entire kit. For example, the shell holder plate and locator buttons for .45 ACP is the same as for 7.62x51 (.308) and .30-06. Here - http://thegunwiki.com/apps/calconversion/

I have complete tool heads, with powder measure for the main calibers I reload. For the lesser ones, I have a tool head with everything EXCEPT the power measure. I have a few spare powder bars, so instead of having to adjust them from scratch, I swap in the proper bar, and check the charge.

And I have a bunch of primer pickup tubes.

dude. so helpful. thanks.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    In head to head comparisons I watched surfing the ends of Internet videos on youtube, it appeared there are negligible differences btw the Hornady LnL and a Dillon 650 or even 750. Seems similar to Ford/Chevy, Glock/everyone else, etc. The biggest diff btw the LnL and a 650/750 is price for an apples to apples out of the box comparison. Agree? Disagree? And I'm a total newb to this but extremely interested into jumping right in.

I appreciate the guys saying 'go blue' and the buy once, cry once mantra. But are the Dillon's truly $200+ better than the LnL. From what I've watched the answer is no. But I'm genuinely curious about folks who own or have used both. It also appears there are about $200-$400 in options needed. For you folks running progressive presses would you mind detailing your set up and then add-ons (shell feeder, bullet feeder, etc).

I've owned both. I only own 1 brand now and I own 2 of them. I'm getting ready to buy a 3rd. I will never buy the other one again. In defense of the red one I did buy it when they first came out. I had nothing but issue's. It took forever to get it working right. I ended up selling it and going with a Dillon. Right out of the box the Dillon worked perfect as a matter of fact of 20,000+ rounds later I've replaced 1 spring that I broke on my own. My first Dillon is 8 years old and it still runs like new. Hell I hate to say it it even seems to run better than the one that is 3 years old. I've had no issue's with that press at all I've run at least 10,000 rounds through that press. I think I'm just partial to my first one. The lock and load I only ran about 1000 rounds through it. Never cared for it. I believe the timing issues out of the box turned me off.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    I've owned both. I only own 1 brand now and I own 2 of them. I'm getting ready to buy a 3rd. I will never buy the other one again. In defense of the red one I did buy it when they first came out. I had nothing but issue's. It took forever to get it working right. I ended up selling it and going with a Dillon. Right out of the box the Dillon worked perfect as a matter of fact of 20,000+ rounds later I've replaced 1 spring that I broke on my own. My first Dillon is 8 years old and it still runs like new. Hell I hate to say it it even seems to run better than the one that is 3 years old. I've had no issue's with that press at all I've run at least 10,000 rounds through that press. I think I'm just partial to my first one. The lock and load I only ran about 1000 rounds through it. Never cared for it. I believe the timing issues out of the box turned me off.

Thanks BigRick. Guess I need to find an older Dillon. What is the model of your older Dillon?

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks BigRick. Guess I need to find an older Dillon. What is the model of your older Dillon?

I have 2 650’s. The 750 is the replacement and I would recommend going with that press it has a better primer system and comes with a few upgrades most people do on the 650’s. Problem is finding one right now. They are out there you just need to look for them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I was in your situation and did some research about which progressive reloading to get. Finally, I settled down with this Lyman Ultimate Reloading System and believe it or not it really robust and outperform my previous reloading kit. I found some useful insight here : https://outdoorever.com/best-progressive-reloading-press-reviews/ Hope you will get benefitted.

That is not a progressive press. That is a turret press.

A progressive press, once the stations are filled, produces a completed round each time you pull the handle. All station operate on a separate case, all at the same.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have 2 650’s. The 750 is the replacement and I would recommend going with that press it has a better primer system and comes with a few upgrades most people do on the 650’s. Problem is finding one right now. They are out there you just need to look for them.

If I upgrade to the 750, can I use my lee dies and powder measure or do I need to repurchase all those components?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can use the dies.

But you will need a Dillon powder measure. But one will come with the press.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use the Lee power die and measure on my 550. But since the powder measre comes with the 750...I wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Does it automatically thrown the charge?

If so, how is it activated?

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I use the Lee Auto Disks on all of my pistol caliber tool heads for my 550. The disk is moved by a lever and returned by spring. I can buy three Auto Disks for the cost of the Dillon powder measure, which I use for all rifle calibers. The only thing the 550 doesn't have, that would be nice is the case feeder, IMO. If I found a deal on one or my needs changed drastically, I would consider getting a 650/750 for rifle or even a Square Deal B for pistol ammunition. The 550 really does hit the sweet spot for price and versatility, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom