• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I am pondering purchasing a new Progressive reloading press. I have been using a Lee classic turret press for several years and feel very comfortable with its operation. I’d like to stay with Lee for that reason. I’d also like to reuse as many of my present components as possible. Below is my reasoning for the press I have tentatively selected. I’d like to community to review my reasoning and comment if I have missed any important considerations for my needs.

Presently I use a Lee classic turret press fitted with a lee autodrum powder dispenser and the old style Lee primer feeder. I use it to reload 9mm, 45 ACP, 44 Mag Win 308 and 30-06.
    I have gotten to the point where my QC checks are every 10 rounds and the loading session I completed last weekend ( 400 9mm and 400 45ACP) did not indicate any adjustments to the press were required. I believe I have developed sufficient attention to detail to safely move up to a progressive press.

Pro 1000
    This press only allows use of 3 dies at a time. Using a FCD is important to me because I store my ammo loose in an ammo can. Need to reduce the likelihood of bullet setback. Also, the dies need to be manually set up each time dies are changed. I like the ability to plug in a turret with a new set of dies.

Breech Lock
    The dies need to be manually set up each time dies are changed. I like the ability to plug in a turret with a new set of dies. Also, the primers need to be manually inserted onto the seating arm (same as my turret press) I assume this press could be fitted with an automatic bullet and case feeders.

Load master
    I believe this is the correct press for me. Full automatic is possible. Set up die sets in interchangeable turrets. The only reservation I have is in all the youtube videos I watched, the press was set up with a universal decapping station in position 1 and a separate station to resize and prime the case. Is there a reason I could not leave the first die slot empty and do deprime/resize and then prime on at the same station? There was discussion of issues regarding aligning the case in the shell plate to allow priming to work.

I run a Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro (ABLP). I like a lot of things about it, but despise the priming system. I now hand prime after resizing/decapping on the ABLP. I fill the hopper, only one die and start cranking my arm.
    You are already aware about die adjustment when changing calibers. Getting the lock ring adapters greatly lessens the trouble. Still, it must be considered that changing dies takes a bit of time.
    In the Lee reloading forums I frequent, the consensus is the Classic Turret is their best press and is favored by many. I don't have one- just a single stage "C" press and the ABLP.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I sold my Lee Pro1000 right after I got my Dillon 550 set up and running. While I normally prime off the press, the Pro1000 never primed consistently. The 550 primes acceptably when I stick to my tap, tap rhythm on the primer tube follower. Feeding either press primed and prepped brass made reloading much more efficient and enjoyable.

Four hole progressives are what I consider a minimum. The cost of toolheads and caliber exchange parts are what keep me from going to a Dillon 650/750, although the case feeder and being able to easily add a size/trim toolhead are very tempting. I know they make case feeders for the 550, but it would really need a fifth hole IMO.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I have a lee auto breech lock pro and I had a similar situation as you where I too started out with a lee classic turret. I went with the breech lock pro because I wanted to streamline menial case prep stages (decapping, resizing, flaring, priming, etc.). I also like the locking bushings more than the turrets as in allows for quick swaps and configurations. If you decide to go with the lee auto breechlock, i recommend buying a bunch of locking bushings with it.

I actually find the lee safety priming system solid if done separately (i.e. prime, resize, flare in one step; charge powder, seat bullet, crimp in another). Priming separately allows you to focus on the safety prime alignment and engagement to the priming arm. Trying to prime while paying attention to everything else such as powder drop and bullet feed seating is a bit too much for me to manage.

I recently invested in a lee hand press that uses the same locking bushings, which is a nice touch when I want to do single stage operations on the go.

The only thing I do not recommend investing on it is the Lee bullet feeding system. I had to do some major fiddling to get it to work. It is also not worth it unless you have an automatic bullet collator that goes along with it (better to just seat the bullet by hand).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Also looking into reloading - are the Dillon's ordered online or is there a dealer in the central MD area?

DO NOT let anyone tell you that you need to start with a single stage press. You can run each stage independently, learn them, then you are off and running.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    DO NOT let anyone tell you that you need to start with a single stage press. You can run each stage independently, learn them, then you are off and running.

But a single stage is nice to have.

I use mine for precision rifle rounds. Easier that doing single step on my 650.

Also working up loads, when loading a few at each of several power charges.

KyleRogue

Nov 19, 2017
    Westminster
    Stuck at home I've looked at specs and reviews for Dillon, Hornady lock n load, MEC, Lee, rcbs, etc. until my eyes hurt. Watched a video of somebody loading one cartridge with a Lee single stage - learned a lot, but I don't want to spend that much time on each round.

Got lots of guns in 357/38spl to feed. One case of 357 mag costs nearly the cost of a Dillon 750, and more than a square deal, so I'm tempted.

Also restoring an original Winchester 1873 in 44-40. Dillon doesn't have die for that, but Lee does, so I might get a single stage for that.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    But a single stage is nice to have.

I use mine for precision rifle rounds. Easier that doing single step on my 650.

Also working up loads, when loading a few at each of several power charges.

I have one too. Got it long after I got my progressive.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Also restoring an original Winchester 1873 in 44-40. Dillon doesn't have die for that, but Lee does, so I might get a single stage for that.[/QUOTE]

Dillon doesn’t list dies for 44-40. However, they do list the shell plates/ caliber conversions kits for 44-40 for the 550 and the 750. One can use any standard dies in either of those presses.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Also restoring an original Winchester 1873 in 44-40. Dillon doesn't have die for that, but Lee does, so I might get a single stage for that.

Dillon doesn’t list dies for 44-40. However, they do list the shell plates/ caliber conversions kits for 44-40 for the 550 and the 750. One can use any standard dies in either of those presses.[/QUOTE]
    Yes. Dies are generally mix and match. I have Lee, RCBS, and Lyman dies running in my Dillon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom