• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jti424

Dec 29, 2013
    So I have never purchased a handgun via the internet. So I have never experienced the transfer process.

I have asked two shops in my area and each gave me an answer that I still do not fully understand..

So, what is the deal with buying a new handgun and having it processed through an ffl, versus buying a used handgun.

Differences in prices? Not sure what a spent shell casing is.. etc.

Thanks for information, if there is a thread answering this question I apologize please point me in that direction.

jti424

Dec 29, 2013
    well first things first do you have your hql?

Yes, I have already purchased a handgun through a local dealer.

I just would like to take advantage of online deals in the near future. I have purchased rifles, shotguns, and ammo all online. Just never a handgun as I have been told it is a different transfer process as they are registered.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Yes, I have already purchased a handgun through a local dealer.

I just would like to take advantage of online deals in the near future. I have purchased rifles, shotguns, and ammo all online. Just never a handgun as I have been told it is a different transfer process as they are registered.

No different than buying one local, same paperwork once it gets to your FFL, they do the same paperwork as on your other handgun purchase. Also the shell casing only applies to new handguns.
    Look to buy from a local source because until you pay shipping and the transfer fee you'll probably save money or be the same buying from a LGS, and you won't have to wait until the handgun arrives to do paperwork if your LGS has it in stock.

jti424

Dec 29, 2013
    No different than buying one local, same paperwork once it gets to your FFL, they do the same paperwork as on your other handgun purchase. Also the shell casing only applies to new handguns.
    Look to buy from a local source because until you pay shipping and the transfer fee you'll probably save money or be the same buying from a LGS?

what are the going rates for transfer of a new compared to a used handgun?

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    As you have probably already found out, some ffl don't want to do a transfer for a firearm that you could have bought from them. If you talk to some before you order on line you will see that after transportation charges you will not see much difference in price.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    For a used vs new transfer, most dealers list the charges ala-carte: Transfer; Shell casing ($10-15 extra); Trigger or barrel lock (might be needed on some models).

Busted my internet cherry on a handgun last year. It was pretty easy. Ship to the FFL, fill out the paperwork, wait, pick up firearm. Some guns come with the shell casing, some do not. If its a hard to find item, be sure to ask around. Sometimes the gun is not in stock but a MD dealer can get it. Pays to ask first. Once you factor in all the shipping, transfer, and so on, I am not sure online is cheaper.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... I'm currently trying to figure out what the shell casing is even for.

So are the State Police!

The shell casing law was intended to:

1) Eliminate all crime.

2) Make it as hard as possible for law-abiding Marylanders to legally acquire handguns ( in other words, to infringe on the right to keep and bear arms.)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Shell casing requirement is especially comical since most handguns sold are semi-auto pistols. Swapping the barrel on most of those takes no effort.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Shell casing requirement is especially comical since most handguns sold are semi-auto pistols. Swapping the barrel on most of those takes no effort.

And revolvers don't leave cases behind.

The ultimate reason for the law is #2, "To make it difficult to legally acquire handguns."

The antis proceed nibble by nibble, step by step. Read this thread:

In Their Own Words; A Blueprint to Ban Handguns by Joe Curran

The law was sold to the public, and to the more naive legislators, as #1 : "To eliminate crime."

From watching too much TV, ill-informed people were given the idea that empty shell cases could quickly identify the gun used in a crime, if only the police had a sample case from every gun on earth. Cops would find a spent case, ruin its "ballistic fingerprint", and identify the shooter. Then it's a simple matter to swing by and pick him up. Voila, all crime would be eliminated in about two weeks flat.

A sample case would be collected from every new handgun sold, and the MSP would catalog it and enter it into a database.

The whole silly notion was pushed using the FALSE analogy between tool marks and fingerprints. Guns don't have fingers, thus they don't have fingerprints. The notion is based on an invalid analogy.

Anyway, the whole stupid notion is a huge waste of police resources. The MSP has never gotten funds to catalog the cases, so all they do is dump them in big blue plastic barrels in a storage locker somewhere.

They have been begging the legislature to repeal the law every year since it was passed, but no politician dares be seen as "soft on crime". Dan Rodericks and Vinny DeMarco would have a fit.

Of course, the real reason to keep the law is to make it as onerous as possible to legally acquire handguns in Maryland.

By the way, only one other state tried this: New York. They repealed their "ballistic fingerprinting" law years ago, leaving Maryland the only state to have the requirement.

Here's an article from Bloomberg, of all sources.

Ballistics Fingerprinting: A Waste of Time

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Meanwhile back at OP's inquiry :

Consult your prospective local FFL as to their policies and fees for transfers. IF you will need a fired case, it greatly simplifies the process to have your transfer done by an FFL that is also an 007 . ( No, none of this makes actual sense, just accept that it is the sate law, and don't try to figure out why.)

Have your ducks lined up before making purchase from seller.

As noted , calculate transfer fees and shipping costs , and include them in your price comparison with local FFLs . For many currently mfg common handguns it would take a really screaming sale to make a meaningful difference in net cost. ( Personally I have mainly dealt with private individuals for items of a certain vintage.) But options are good, moreso if you are interested in certain guns that are not stocked on every street corner, or the usual suspects of distributors.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    If you're looking at a current production gun, chances are your local gun shop will be within a few dollars of any internet price once you add in the FFL transfer costs and shipping on the gun. I think it may only make sense if you're looking at some particular C&R gun that's no longer in production. As many others have advised, talk to your local shop before you make any commitment to be sure they will accept the transfer, and to learn if they can match the deal you found.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    And revolvers don't leave cases behind.

The ultimate reason for the law is #2, "To make it difficult to legally acquire handguns."

The antis proceed nibble by nibble, step by step. Read this thread:

In Their Own Words; A Blueprint to Ban Handguns by Joe Curran

The law was sold to the public, and to the more naive legislators, as #1 : "To eliminate crime."

From watching too much TV, ill-informed people were given the idea that empty shell cases could quickly identify the gun used in a crime, if only the police had a sample case from every gun on earth. Cops would find a spent case, ruin its "ballistic fingerprint", and identify the shooter. Then it's a simple matter to swing by and pick him up. Voila, all crime would be eliminated in about two weeks flat.

A sample case would be collected from every new handgun sold, and the MSP would catalog it and enter it into a database.

The whole silly notion was pushed using the FALSE analogy between tool marks and fingerprints. Guns don't have fingers, thus they don't have fingerprints. The notion is based on an invalid analogy.

Anyway, the whole stupid notion is a huge waste of police resources. The MSP has never gotten funds to catalog the cases, so all they do is dump them in big blue plastic barrels in a storage locker somewhere.

They have been begging the legislature to repeal the law every year since it was passed, but no politician dares be seen as "soft on crime". Dan Rodericks and Vinny DeMarco would have a fit.

Of course, the real reason to keep the law is to make it as onerous as possible to legally acquire handguns in Maryland.

By the way, only one other state tried this: New York. They repealed their "ballistic fingerprinting" law years ago, leaving Maryland the only state to have the requirement.

Here's an article from Bloomberg, of all sources.

Ballistics Fingerprinting: A Waste of Time

IIRC, Californika had a shell casing law too but determined it wasn't worth the effort and expense, the same as NY did in 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom