Help me understand legality of custom AR pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I wonder how many people know the law and how many people are breaking the law without even knowing it? Reason I say this, is I was watching a video about a guy owning an AR pistol and he was making a video about putting a stock on his pistol (not a brace). But even worse than that, his pistol was configured with a forward grip. Thus making it a AOW. He had been breaking the law and was going to break another law.

People just don't know most of the time.

Sad!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Under federal regulations, once a receiver is designated as being built into a firearm in a given configuration (i.e., rifle or pistol) it can never be used for something else. So if, for example, you want to build yourself a lever-action mare's leg, you MUST make or buy a receiver that has NEVER been made into a rifle. You can't just take a lever-action rifle and cut it down to create a mare's leg.

The same goes for the AR platform. You have to be sure that any lower you may purchase was only ever sold as a receiver, and NOT as part of a firearm that was manufactured as a rifle. Since lowers are quite common on the market, be careful to determine for certain the provenance of any lower you are considering purchasing. If it was EVER part of a gun that was manufactured, registered, or sold as a rifle you cannot use it for a pistol.

To the best of my knowledge, you can convert a home pistol built AR into a rifle, then covert it back to pistol form. You can not convert any rifle into a pistol.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    To the best of my knowledge, you can convert a home pistol built AR into a rifle, then covert it back to pistol form. You can not convert any rifle into a pistol.

This applies to any handgun, not just home built ones.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    With respect to VFG and pistols, is that prohibition OAL dependent?
    I read, on a non authoritarian site, a couple posts to the effect that is the OAL of the pistol was 26 inches or more, a VFG was allowed and wondered if it were true

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    With respect to VFG and pistols, is that prohibition OAL dependent?
    I read, on a non authoritarian site, a couple posts to the effect that is the OAL of the pistol was 26 inches or more, a VFG was allowed and wondered if it were true

If the OAL is +26", ATF does not classify it as a pistol, but rather a firearm, at which point a VFG is good to go.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    If the OAL is +26", ATF does not classify it as a pistol, but rather a firearm, at which point a VFG is good to go.

So by ATF classification, with a brace ( not a stock) and a barrel less than 16 inches, it would be a pistol (handgun) with an OAL less than 26", and a firearm (other) if the OAL were greater than 26 ", but with a stabilizer, not a stock, never a rifle?
    And the greater than 26 OAL would be a legal configuration in Maryland?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's fairly simple if you don't get distracted by arm braces .

Pistol = <26 in
    Not Pistol => 26in

( Built as a Virgin , never had stock, etc .)

XRider

Aug 9, 2010
    Surfside Beach SC
    This thread reminds me of something I heard from an ATF official a couple years ago. They were discussing some new law Obama wanted that created additional confusing paperwork that could cause problems if not filled out correctly.
    The offical contered with " We are obvioulsy not going to arrest people for paperwork crimes" my thought at the time was, UMMM isn't that pretty much what the ATF does...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom