• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    @gungate I have had scope mounts and rings loosen up after the first round of shooting so you may want to check the torque on those. Since you were having trouble with the scope, I would make sure it is positioned correctly for you (not too far forward or too far back). I would also postion the scope for a prone position since that seems to be the least forgiving. The settings @smokey suggest are important. And finally make sure the scope is perfectly level with the rifle.

When I checked it the rings were loose. I tightened them again. I will go over all the scope attachment and setup steps again before the next range visit. Since this was the first visit, I was not really going for precise grouping. I just wanted to get some shots through the gun as an initial sanity check. Next time I will be ready for an accuracy test.

I also think a lot of my issue is my glasses. I don't think progressive lenses are a good choice for using at the range. I will use my single vision (with bifocal insert) glasses next time.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I'm interested in seeing how good this shoots when the issues get ironed out and you find a load it likes. I was playing with my BCA 7.62x39 upper today after work. Seems like every group I shot I'd have 4 shots under 3/4" @100 and then I'd get a flyer that would open the group up. I blame myself even though I was using cheap hungarian ammo. Crazy as it sounds, I'm convinced this upper will shoot under 3/4 moa when I handload for it. 1 of the 5 groups I shot had 4 shots that measured .335 then the 5th was a flyer that opened it up to 1.2. Judging by how it looked through a borescope I'm shocked at the potential.

What makes an upper more (or less) accurate? Is it the barrel? For instance, if I were to get a high quality barrel and replace the one on there, would that make it more accurate?

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    What makes an upper more (or less) accurate? Is it the barrel? For instance, if I were to get a high quality barrel and replace the one on there, would that make it more accurate?
    In my experience it's all in the barrel assuming you have a free floated handgaurd and the upper receiver and bcg are in spec. Some people have seen a little difference truing the upper where the barrel seats. I've built uppers with all budget components out the box but used nice barrels and have gotten great accuracy. I did a decent amount of research before I built my first upper and the consensus was what I just said, the barrel is the where its at as far as accuracy. Of course a good trigger and optics make transferring that accuracy to paper much easier.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    At this point I would let the barrel get broken in and see how it does before tearing it back down. That being said, my 6.5 Grendel had very mediocre accuracy until I took the upper apart and (1) lapped the face of the receiver so it was true, (2) bedded where the barrel and the receiver meet with green Loctite, (3) polished the feed ramps on the barrel (but not the upper receiver) very carefully using a dremel and polish. These proved to be effective. Not sure whether not not you need another barrel, that's hard to say.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    At this point I would let the barrel get broken in and see how it does before tearing it back down. That being said, my 6.5 Grendel had very mediocre accuracy until I took the upper apart and (1) lapped the face of the receiver so it was true, (2) bedded where the barrel and the receiver meet with green Loctite, (3) polished the feed ramps on the barrel (but not the upper receiver) very carefully using a dremel and polish. These proved to be effective. Not sure whether not not you need another barrel, that's hard to say.
    This is the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom