• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

I had fun last weekend at delmarva with the psa grendel. Here's a couple shots I threw at the 300 yard steel. You can pretty much just knock this steel at will.

Annnnnd my pop giving it a whirl. I figured it was a good time to grab a slow-mo to check ejection. Something cool was seeing the Griffin hammer comp shove the barrel down. You can see it whipping a bit up and down in the handguard.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    At the risk of hijacking this topic: I just bought an Olympic Arms A1E1 (C7-style) upper receiver that has deep M4 feed ramps. I want to use it to create a 20" C7-style upper. What 20" HBAR barrel can I get that matches the feed ramps? I was looking at the Rock River Arms 20" HBAR barrel with the .223 Wylde chamber - will that work?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any Hbar that has M4 feed ramps, which is probably 99.9% of them i production.

It is very easy to cut M4 feed ramps if you need to. You need a dremel, a medium grinding bit and a silicone polishing bit.

Last edited:

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Any Hbar that has M4 feed ramps, which is probably 99.9% of them i production.

It is very easy to cut M4 feed ramps if you need to. You need a dremel, a medium grinding bit and a silicone polishing bit.

Thanks! I actually intend for the entire upper to be assembled by Engage Armament. I'm also probably going to have my lower re-finished (it has a reddish hue that suggests rust, but has been that way since I got it).

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    You don't need to buy mags, only mag followers. Swap them out for the standard AR 15 5.56 mag followers. Something like these:

For almost twice as much, you can buy an Aero M4E1 Enhanced upper, but that doesn't come with a BCG nor a charging handle, so add another $200+ for those:

You'd end up with a solid upper with the Aero, but you'll pay a premium price too.

Side charging uppers are fine when they are reciprocting(charging handle isn't attached to the bolt carrier). When the charging handle is attached to the bolt carrier, they move with the bolt during firing. The problem is, in order to remove the bolt carrier for any reason, you will need to remove the handle with a tool. They also require a 'customized' bolt carrier that allows the mounting of said charging handle. So in the event you need to swap out the BCG if you are chasing down a problem or something, you can't just throw any ol' BCG into it.

Anyone know where I can get the Anti-Tilt Followers with free shipping? That site wants like $5 to ship them. I guess it is still fine if I can't find any place for free. I am finally moving on this Grendel build!

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Anyone know where I can get the Anti-Tilt Followers with free shipping? That site wants like $5 to ship them. I guess it is still fine if I can't find any place for free. I am finally moving on this Grendel build!

Ah F it I just bought 2 packs of 3 $14 shipped. Cheap no matter what way you slice it.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I got the below upper instead of the PSA since their site would not let me order and there is no way to contact them. It has already shipped. Very excited for it. It looks good and I found a lot of good reviews but also found some worse reviews. The bad reviews seem to focus on fit and finish. BSA guarantees it will shoot 1" groupings.

Once I get it I need to build another AR lower (I have 4 pre-ban left in my stash). I will use my Hera furniture. Debating to get a match style drop-in trigger. I have a couple AR lower build kits and never had an issue with standard triggers.

BTW: They don't charge tax or shipping so the price shown is the price you pay.

Since this is a long-range shooter I probably don't need backup iron sights but I have a set on the shelf. Who uses backup sights? Is it worth throwing them on?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I got the below upper instead of the PSA since their site would not let me order and there is no way to contact them. It has already shipped. Very excited for it. It looks good and I found a lot of good reviews but also found some worse reviews. The bad reviews seem to focus on fit and finish. BSA guarantees it will shoot 1" groupings.

Once I get it I need to build another AR lower (I have 4 pre-ban left in my stash). I will use my Hera furniture. Debating to get a match style drop-in trigger. I have a couple AR lower build kits and never had an issue with standard triggers.

Since this is a long-range shooter I probably don't need backup iron sights but I have a set on the shelf. Who uses backup sights? Is it worth throwing them on?

I'm interested in how well it shoots. I have a buddy who wants a 6.5G

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Probably don't need backup sights. You know if I still had a pre-ban stripped upper I would build a retro-rifle. Just saying.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Caldwells have worked for me and they're not $$$

I love being near Amazon's distribution center! I ordered that Magpul when I made that post a couple hours ago and already got it delivered.

JprcMu7_PYO27Zj2XaNZHOUaCKdch3rt1ixRuq4JqIOQcspyXAxWrkmgnRipL9hbLDHqganTKyfc4rYdTI2mOTt5V1xHxHlz08Mng26EjUSAhDvg0VtETtR8IxwqAMyKuBHyF8XBXuDvMb4WJyuGu6WT8apfpmGu-FuXpIstAchm5CNYbICcML7JjpVLtDRo2dCqkJnkv5zUA-jJUYwTJZYQpOGDzgTJOpHsSIy3AJW3Q2ct0CwGTBAAixQS6PGwtBcPg-bXQBkd2YG-u-84Ky558fQoHszHcKGFoGQ6Bh5uniKgeqXDzOF9az9odvR-0TZKTPPlW2QhLcFqMnyD1-TsN0CxfMPAsVnC-e8I9N71uGlCnZdw8FRyGh6sH1ITDPeyAXmASxjHVd9-H62yaFawZWNpo-F-E3E0qgBr0OSDM_6Cb0AVF7KwBisbS-fiDaKi9tF_TRbQnJAoGEqR5cqCoVIxhcure9GAPsl6I9z9Ezd3A9ZukMvTCbM9MhkBiMKV66jkhQI3h1lQMgHSUTdFibfBne5lV6Ya2fArK800NGTDHBNr0aeXX7F2GA7N6v4oFcq4yipIeUPxUHfwT2rKvJnccySBGkpab9PG8oKEyTXOEhouVXrBKKGAcuzSfCgfbsu81RQ1sZbgPqZRrKY_fxYa86ikBRH7UhCZ0gN0UzkJfg6Gff5VeY4MisvAi4S6jzkyf05S07LXXnMNZ050PJvdHJ1tYq1Sn93vMahzuGJRRaY5n18zcFJsVFiaYF3nPZYfP0jc8-usNZQccRFj-JdvGFewi8NxFQWM06jvUmSPbf2CQ1ZI0XGbw8KtiiG4FQpG7AY1DYJgAgdf40_68NQrtbw3QP4sEdf8GQbcidomUuPyNzz-rxFgZpgm05ZLs4gKHRZPhgP-1Cimg4y7QNbNPadlqllhgHr1CqWHAjiXWw=w711-h947-no

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    You don't need to buy mags, only mag followers. Swap them out for the standard AR 15 5.56 mag followers. Something like these:

For almost twice as much, you can buy an Aero M4E1 Enhanced upper, but that doesn't come with a BCG nor a charging handle, so add another $200+ for those:

You'd end up with a solid upper with the Aero, but you'll pay a premium price too.

Side charging uppers are fine when they are reciprocting(charging handle isn't attached to the bolt carrier). When the charging handle is attached to the bolt carrier, they move with the bolt during firing. The problem is, in order to remove the bolt carrier for any reason, you will need to remove the handle with a tool. They also require a 'customized' bolt carrier that allows the mounting of said charging handle. So in the event you need to swap out the BCG if you are chasing down a problem or something, you can't just throw any ol' BCG into it.

I got these anti-tilt followers and tried them in 3 different AR magazines and they do not fit out of the box. I can see where I need to grind/file a bit down to make them fit. Is that what you had to do? I did manage to get them in 1 magazine and it was super tight no way it was going to work. I tried them on an original Colt magazine and 2 other 30 rounders. All were metal. I didn't try them in my Magpul composite mags maybe they fit in those better out of the box.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I got these anti-tilt followers and tried them in 3 different AR magazines and they do not fit out of the box. I can see where I need to grind/file a bit down to make them fit. Is that what you had to do? I did manage to get them in 1 magazine and it was super tight no way it was going to work. I tried them on an original Colt magazine and 2 other 30 rounders. All were metal. I didn't try them in my Magpul composite mags maybe they fit in those better out of the box.
    I haven't tried them. I don't own a Grendel. They are supposed to work in steel mags. IDK

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I haven't tried them. I don't own a Grendel. They are supposed to work in steel mags. IDK

Ah ok I was under the impression you had used them. They say they are for their magazines. I should have just got a couple of those instead. I could file these down but I would lose their "coating" and probably end up with reliability issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom