• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm digging everything about the new stick except the trigger and the stock. The Hogue has got to Go! So been looking at McMillan's and HS, BC, Choate Tac........ I know the MCMillan is the best and I'm leaning in that direction, but not only are they more expensive they are also a ton of work. Not looking to push this thing past 600 or so, but I still won't stop throwing $ into it til it's .5 moa at least. So far I'm liking the A5 style, but the A2 would work too. Thinking about some type of camo for the stock also. So what stocks have some of you had success with? Oh yeah here's a pic.
    2012-04-04_19-00-19_514.jpg

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Ok here is where I am (getting ready to order and spending a lot of time talking to ed)

I like the a3 way better that the a5. The adjustable comb will help the repeat-ability of your head position which is key. The flat buttstock profile of the A5 actually hinders the use of a rear bag to accomplish minor elevation changes.

I think the best of both worlds is the manners stock that combines the front end of the a5 with the rear end of the a3.

Bottom metal upgrades are required IF you plan on shooting tactical matches. Fast reloading is unfortunately a must. If you are only shooting f class or playing at hap it's not needed.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Ok here is where I am (getting ready to order and spending a lot of time talking to ed)

I like the a3 way better that the a5. The adjustable comb will help the repeat-ability of your head position which is key. The flat buttstock profile of the A5 actually hinders the use of a rear bag to accomplish minor elevation changes.

I think the best of both worlds is the manners stock that combines the front end of the a5 with the rear end of the a3.

Bottom metal upgrades are required IF you plan on shooting tactical matches. Fast reloading is unfortunately a must. If you are only shooting f class or playing at hap it's not needed.

No tac matches for at least another year or two. Right now with the two kiddos it's all I can do to shoot a few 3 guns a year.

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    How about something from Manners? I know my buddy has a few of their stocks on his F-Class guns and has had nothing but great things to say about 'em. They have a few models that are sub $600. http://mannersstocks.com/

+1

I agree 100% Dave. I would take a serious look at the Manners T2A for all the reasons you stated Dave.

I believe Ed runs the T2 or T2a so that should tell you something.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    No tac matches for at least another year or two. Right now with the two kiddos it's all I can do to shoot a few 3 guns a year.

Going to bring up the buy once cry once then.

Stock metal and installation will add over $300 to the price of the stock WITHOUT and extra mag. It's easier and cheaper to get it installed when you order the stock. Not much but a little. :D

If you ever plan on gong that route do it now. If not, forever hold your piece.

Mayberry isn't that far from you and their matches are not that long. With your sig, I am surprised you aren't a regular attendee anyway.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    +1

I agree 100% Dave. I would take a serious look at the Manners T2A for all the reasons you stated Dave.

I believe Ed runs the T2 or T2a so that should tell you something.

The T2 is the one I would pick after looking over the web sight. How much work is involved with installing the Manners?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The T2 is the one I would pick after looking over the web sight. How much work is involved with installing the Manners?

T2a has the comb which is a key option.

They say that with the bottom metal (other than triming the torx screws) it's drop in...

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Going to bring up the buy once cry once then.

Stock metal and installation will add over $300 to the price of the stock WITHOUT and extra mag. It's easier and cheaper to get it installed when you order the stock. Not much but a little. :D

If you ever plan on gong that route do it now. If not, forever hold your piece.

Mayberry isn't that far from you and their matches are not that long. With your sig, I am surprised you aren't a regular attendee anyway.

They always throw running into their matches and with my ankle rebuilt from cancer that really is not an option for me.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm not sure 1k$ total for stock and BM is going to be a realistic option for me for a long time. I'm already saving for a Can for this and the 300BLK.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    They always throw running into their matches and with my ankle rebuilt from cancer that really is not an option for me.

you haven't seen some of those guys "run"....:D

They might even work in calisthenics as an option.....it's about getting the heartrate up.

I'm not sure 1k$ total for stock and BM is going to be a realistic option for me for a long time. I'm already saving for a Can for this and the 300BLK.

hence why I haven't ordered yet....

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island

You could always keep an eye out for a takeoff HS stock from a 5r or 700P. That would cost somewhere @ 200 bucks and would certainly be a huge upgrade to the Hogue stock. When you decide to upgrade to the stock you really want I'm sure you could almost get back what you have in the HS takeoff.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    You could always keep an eye out for a takeoff HS stock from a 5r or 700P. That would cost somewhere @ 200 bucks and would certainly be a huge upgrade to the Hogue stock. When you decide to upgrade to the stock you really want I'm sure you could almost get back what you have in the HS takeoff.

That's exactly what I was just searching for. My question was about to be how much of an upgrade would it be over the Hogue?

stever

Jan 7, 2009
    harford county
    This was my best 5 shot group at 100 yards. It's a 700 varmint in a H-S precision pro M24 stock. This was my first time shooting it and anything remotely capable of this kind of accuracy. I am sure with more practice, this could be better. I used PPU 168gr match ammo (cheap). Besides replacing the included scope, the stock is the only upgrade I have made.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNTgtMjAxMjA0MDMtMTQ1OC5qcGc.jpg
    [/IMG]

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    post here cause i would like to know as well. check the classifieds on snipershide, i just saw at least two of the hogues for sale

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

That's exactly what I'll be taking off mine......and needing to get rid of when I do the upgrade.

How much of a hurry are you in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom