• Walther P22

Votes: 27 28.1%
    • Revolver in .38 special

Votes: 19 19.8%

Votes: 50 52.1%

• Total voters

cjl7

Apr 2, 2012
    So heres the story. I turn 21 in a little more then a month. So, I'll be celebrating by treating myself to my first pistol. As of right now I know of about 3 guns I eventually want. A Walther p22 for cheap practice shooting, A medium sized revolver (probably in .38 special), and a 1911 in .45. So which should be my first? Vote in the poll and comment as to why if you please. Thanks!

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I voted for the Walther too for the affordability and the fact that you may already have ammo lying around for it, but I was also assuming that this wasn't your first gun in general. If it is, my answer would change.

I do have a question though... Why not get a revolver in .357 Magnum instead of a .38 so you can shoot both .357 and .38 special with it? That would also be nice to have, so you could shoot .38's for fun and practice and leave it loaded with .357's for defense. Just my opinion.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I voted for the Walther because it is .22. .22 is a good place to start to get lots of practice while learning the fundamentals. I would, however, recommend a Ruger Mark I, II, or III instead. They are very good shooters and will eat any ammo that you feed them. No matter what you decide, enjoy your first handgun.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

If it's going to be your first, you may as well do it right and get the 1911 out of the way first.

Pot-metal plinkers are everywhere, along with wheelguns and 1911's for that matter. The 1911 is a rite of passage though, your not really complete till there's one in your collection, or 2, 3, or even 4 of them.

Although, we should probably be asking what type of handgun experience you have, because that does matter more than anyone's opinion on what your 1st should be.

Little to no experience: Plinker or wheelgun, plinker would be my choice since .38spl ammo is nowhere near as cheap as rimfire.

Moderate experience: 1911, just because.

cjl7

Apr 2, 2012

If it's going to be your first, you may as well do it right and get the 1911 out of the way first.

Pot-metal plinkers are everywhere, along with wheelguns and 1911's for that matter. The 1911 is a rite of passage though, your not really complete till there's one in your collection, or 2, 3, or even 4 of them.

Although, we should probably be asking what type of handgun experience you have, because that does matter more than anyone's opinion on what your 1st should be.

Little to no experience: Plinker or wheelgun, plinker would be my choice since .38spl ammo is nowhere near as cheap as rimfire.

Moderate experience: 1911, just because.

Good call. I probably should have said something about experience. Not much with handguns. Personally I was leaning toward the p22 to get me started cheap and get in a lot of practice. 1911 was going to be my second because I agree with you, its a rite of passage. But, I figured Id see what others thought since I know I'll end up with at least those 3 relatively quickly (probably in about 3 months or so ;)).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There are .22 kits for full-size 1911's as well... :innocent0

2 birds with 1 stone.

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    U might consider a colt/walther 1911 22lr first purchase as training for your ultimate real 1911.

Great fit/finish/function and inexpensive ammo means lots of fun shooting targets.

cjl7

Apr 2, 2012
    There are .22 kits for full-size 1911's as well... :innocent0

2 birds with 1 stone.

Hmm ... funny that I've seen that but didn't even think of it. Guess thats why I posted here. any idea how much the kits run? and whats the advantage over two separate firearms?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The advantage is, IIRC, most kits are under $250.

Most .22 plinkers are going to run you at least $300+ (most of the time, deals can be found though), so for just a little more upfront, you have your .22 plinker/trainer to shoot cheap with and work on the fundamentals. And when you feel your ready, you slap the .45ACP slide/barrel on and off you go.

cjl7

Apr 2, 2012

Most .22 plinkers are going to run you at least $300+ (most of the time, deals can be found though), so for just a little more upfront, you have your .22 plinker/trainer to shoot cheap with and work on the fundamentals. And when you feel your ready, you slap the .45ACP slide/barrel on and off you go.

Thanks a lot for that suggestion. Im definitely going to look in to those. I still like the Walthers, but if I do this I could say my first gun was a 1911, practice with it cheap, and just look for a used Walther down the road. Thanks Again!

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    My first was a Glock 17 9mm, but a month later I bought a Ruger MKII so I could actually hit what I was aiming at and shoot all day for less than $20. Once I mastered the .22 I went back to shooting the Glock until I felt comfortable shooting a handgun. A 1911 .45 is a fine choice, but probably not the best bet to cut your teeth on. You will eventually own one though:)

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    Dude get whatever one feels best in your hand. I vote you don't get .22 or .38 maybe a 9mm. Go 1911, its not all about plinking(unless you don't have other guns),it's a sidearm, a backup for your life. From the size of the guns you've stated you should look at the sig sao 220's. They can be carried easily and have the same setup as a 1911 safety.

markc

Apr 9, 2011
    I started with 1911.

But it got expensive really quick shooting .45. If you got the moolah, go for it and shoot it. It was a lot of fun.

Now I shoot 9mm. It's affordable, not as expensive as .45, more fun that .22.

And, with good hollowpoints, will provide HD.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I used to spend out the a$$ on .45 bulk, going thru nearly 1k rounds a month (at my highest point) got expensive quick. Not long after that, got into reloading .45ACP - very easy round to reload, and depending on your load, a lot cheaper and consistent/cleaner than factory ammo.

Definitely look into reloading in the future, it pays for itself and is very rewarding as well.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you want a revolver, get a .357 and shoot cheaper .38's for practice. I'll go against conventional board logic and tell you to wait on the 1911. Yes, they're iconic. Yes, they have a fantastic trigger. They're also expensive to shoot, have low capacity for a combat handgun unless you get a double stack and they don't do anything better than a dozen other guns that have come since them. If you really must buy a handgun, I'd get a good .22 and then rent the heck out of everything you can. You may decide you really love the 1911, or you may find that something else fits your hand much better.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I got rid of my 2 9mm glocks, my 3 xd 40, my 357mag and in place, picked up a 22/45 and 1911 and just bought another 1911. I may sell my Glock 36 to pick up another 1911. Looking back, this is what I should have done to begin with. But I didn't know any better.
    1911....so sweet.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

The Marvell runs a little more I think but is match grade. Pretty much a S&W 41 on a 1911 frame. The 1911 options are endless.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The Marvell runs a little more I think but is match grade. Pretty much a S&W 41 on a 1911 frame. The 1911 options are endless.

I haven't really looked at a lot of them, but I figured like most things there'd be pricier versions available... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom