• Redfield 2-7x34 Revenge

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    Hey all,

Received a 16 inch 10/22 for my birthday and I want to add an optic to it.

I may buy an 18" barrel in a few years, but the gun will probably stay stock for the foreseeable future. Pretty much just a plinker.

I have just about narrowed my choices down to these three, but I have not looked at any in a store yet. May stop by Cabela's on my way home from work this week, although I'm not sure they have the exact Nikon that I'm looking at.

Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff Rimfire II

This one seems to get pretty good feedback on the forums here and I like that it is lighter than the others. I also trust the Nikon name. My only reservations are that it is higher magnification and has a larger objective lens than the others. I am worried that this may be too much glass for the gun.

I have seen a Nikon 2-7 Rimfire for about the same price, but it is not a Prostaff and I am wondering if the glass is the same quality?

Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire II

I like the size of this one and have heard good things about Vortex. Debating whether the Nikon may have better quality glass? This is also a little heavier than the other two.

Redfield 2-7x34 Revenge

This is kind of a compromise. Good size, magnification, and weight. I also trust Leupold scopes, but for whatever reason I am not as excited about this one.

Let me know your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks for your help!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I know you specifically asked about a scope but I voted other. I've had a 10-22 for about 30 years and I slapped a scope on it soon after I bought it. Well, I signed up for an Appleseed about a year and a half ago and decided to put Tech-Sights on it just for that. I have had more fun shooting that 10-22 with the Tech-Sights and I know that I have put more rounds through that gun in the last year and a half than I did in the previous 28 years!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Vortex has treated me so well, I will always choose them first if the options are similar. Also if you swap barrels the 18" doesn't do anything better than 16" barrel of equal quality.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Bushnell Banner 3x9

Buy a used one off ebay. One made in Japan. It will cost about $60-70. These are time tested and cannot be beat by that other crap.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have the prostaff on mine. It is light which is good on that rifle. Glass is clear and bright. Have been on a vortex kick lately with good results. I would lean towards the nikon if had to do again.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I know you specifically asked about a scope but I voted other. I've had a 10-22 for about 30 years and I slapped a scope on it soon after I bought it. Well, I signed up for an Appleseed about a year and a half ago and decided to put Tech-Sights on it just for that. I have had more fun shooting that 10-22 with the Tech-Sights and I know that I have put more rounds through that gun in the last year and a half than I did in the previous 28 years!

This^ :thumbsup:

My 49 year old eyes like the tech-sights too, a vast improvement over stock sights. If you want a scope, get one, but 100 yds is really the effective range of a .22LR. From an Appleseed perspective, I heard 4x is really as high magnification you want to go. If you want a scope, get a rimfire specific one.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Nikon Pro Staff. I prefer the fixed 4X magnification though. It's good enough to shoot two back to back perfect scores during an Appleseed clinic. Oh and skip the BDC models, they aren't worth the extra money. You are better off shooting the rifle at known distances with your chosen ammo and creating a dope card.

Attachments

• 20141122_175036.jpg
      20141122_175036.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 542

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    What are you going to be using it for? a .22lr is best within a 100 yards, so, think iron sights, or red dot possibly, unless your going to be shooting paper alot, then may need higher magnification. I like Nikon scopes, but hey, Vortex are great, so is Redfield, and don't forget the Leupold 2-7. But, do you really need a scope is my big question. Can get a nice Red Dot for same price range. Just some thoughts...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If you're going to Cabelas, check out their own brand of Rimfire specific scopes. I have one of their 3-9x on one of my 10/22's and a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire on another one. I actually prefer the reticle on the Cabelas scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    I have beenusing Nikon Rimfire scope's at Nikon sponsored shooting event's for the last 5 years. Believe me, they are a big hit on 10/22's. Fantastic accuracy and huge fun as well. If I'm shooting multiple target's at different ranges I opt for the PROSTAFF 3-9 BDC150. The BDC really does work if you can enter all your date correctly. Knowing MV and scope height mid bore to mid scope will only help your accuracy.
    I do like the PROSTAFF 3-9 EFR which lets you dial down the parallax for close in target shooting. Defintely one of my favorite scopes.

EFR1022.jpg

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    If you're going to Cabelas, check out their own brand of Rimfire specific scopes. I have one of their 3-9x on one of my 10/22's and a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire on another one. I actually prefer the reticle on the Cabelas scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 here. I like it so far. Glass is very nice and it's holding perfect after 3 months. I have it sighted in at 50. And the reticle is true at 75 and 100.

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    Thanks for all of the feedback, guys!

This has really helped me narrow down my options. I will probably go with a Nikon if I do decide to get a scope. Like some of you have said, it may make more sense to get some tech sights and have irons on the 10/22.

That way I would have more money to invest in an optic for the AR:party29:

Thanks again for the help!

I just mounted a Nikon Rimfire Prostaff 3-9x on my vintage Browning T-bolt (older than half of you on this Board) and took it to Hap Baker the other day. I am very pleased. Really easy to sight in and use, and the bullet drop feature is great. I think I paid $129 for mine on sale at Midway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom