• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Remington 700 5R SS(SPS?)? What do the 5R and SS stand for?

5R rifling uses 5 lands and 5 grooves instead of the traditional 6 lands and grooves. In addition, the sides of each land are cut at a 65 degree angle versus a harsh 90 degree angle on standard rifling.

SS references the stainless steel barrel.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Not SPS as far as I know
    SS is stainless steel
    5R is the model and I believe it mostly stands for the barrel rifling. Comes with 5 lands and grooves and 11.25 twist.
    HS Precision stock usually
    Great starter for under 1,100 out the door usually

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Plus with the 5R the box will say "5R Mil-Spec" which is super cool and you can tell all your friends "thet thars a true military snaaaper raaafle" and they are guaranteed to be impressed!

;)

Seriously though, check around. I have yet to see anyone with a 5R that didn't rave about its OOB accuracy. They also come in .223 and 300 WinMag.

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    So 5R sounds like the way to go, trouble is finding one in the black finish, 20" and already on a receiver...I'll probably have to order the 5R barrel separate, unless you know of some dealers?

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    But the 5R doesn't come in a 20" as the OP stated that he wanted. Only the AAC and SPS models come in 20" OOB. I went with the AAC just because of the short barrel, 1:10 twist for heavier bullets should I want to go subsonic/suppressed and it came threaded.

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    I don't mean to drag this out, but with "buy once cry once" in mind, wouldn't buying a custom action, bolt, and barrel (either adding or buying as a set) be the best solution?

I read some more about Remington 700 truing, and rather than buying a factory 700 and having it trued, why not just assembled a custom rifle (or have it assembled by a gunsmith). Bear in mind I want black and 20", is that possible/practical?

Know any dealers?

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Bear in mind I want black and 20", is that possible/practical?

I'm curious why you have your heart set on 20". At 800 yards, even high BC .308 rounds are dropping fast. I would want as much velocity as I could get... and 20" is not going to do that. Personally, I would add another 4 or more inches to the setup.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I don't mean to drag this out, but with "buy once cry once" in mind, wouldn't buying a custom action, bolt, and barrel (either adding or buying as a set) be the best solution?

I read some more about Remington 700 truing, and rather than buying a factory 700 and having it trued, why not just assembled a custom rifle (or have it assembled by a gunsmith). Bear in mind I want black and 20", is that possible/practical?

Know any dealers?

With money you can have anything you want to pay for. Most, if not all barrel blanks are going to be silver and will need to be coated once it is cut and crowned so add that to the end price. Sure you can use krylon but will it look as good as a coated barrel. Probably not.

If you buy all the parts then you are looking at getting a smith to chamber, cut, crown and thread your barrel blank.

It all comes down to budget.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD

Know any dealers?

I still don't know if the 20" will give you the velocity you need for 800 I don't have much experience with the 308

But heres a run down of my recently finished tubegun

borden action SA repeater: $850 plus shipping and FFL fees
    kreiger SS barrel $300 in the white may be cheaper I don't know
    chambering, crowning, and fitting $290 (also had muzzle turned down to .750" for sight
    CG mod 22 trigger $300
    Tubegun stock $1200 (don't know how much the stock you want is I'm guessing half that

Some of this may be able to be done a little cheaper. I think you will be happier with the finished product with a custom build but all depends on your budget

Buying a factory rifle and having work done on it will be cheaper but maybe not a ton I don't know

Another option is to buy a bare action and having it trued, either obtain on used or on a used rifle if you can find a deal
    Brownells sell new bare actions but they are 500 bucks so for a little extra you could have a custom action. They have a blued SA with .308 boltface for 370 on sale but out of stock.

As far as barrels go you can get a custom barrel of find a take off barrel from someone elses project. And if you'd like I can post an ad on 2 other competition forums I frequent for a barrel because these guys always have slightly used custom or new take off barrels. Brownells also sells dome pre-threaded barrels for $150 but I have no idea of the quality. You'd have to have it chopped but no big deal.

A good trigger can be had for under 200

so its all up to you

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I personally would shoot any new rifle before having the work done to True the action. Some factory rifles shoot amazing right out of the box. Sure it's not a big percentage, but why not find out first?

trebark

Hiding in plain sight
    Aug 3, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    Rem700 SPS is a great platform to start with. Here are some thing you can do to help maximize the accuracy of one....(this is true of ANY factory Rem700)

Many gunsmiths have an 'accuracy package'. It can be done for ~$225. It includes:

1. recrown barrel - this ensures when the bullet leaves the bore, it leaves from an absolutely square surface

2. lap lugs - this will ensure your bolt locks up tight time after time.

3. Tune trigger to as light and crisp as possible - generally speaking, Remington factory triggers are set at 6 or 7lbs. They can be tuned down to ~2.5lbs.

Other things you can do....

1. Replace stock - you have made a good choice with the McRee. An added benefit of the McRee is that it does not have to be bedded.

2. Bases and rings - look at the Burris Signature Zee rings and bases. They are less expensive than many of the other 'tactical' ring/base combinations out there. They come with inserts so that you can achieve the same cant as as a 20 or 30moa base.

3. Optics - it's been said earlier and remains true....buy once, cry once. Buy the best optics you can. Fixed power scopes like the Super Snipers are good options. Another great value to look at are the Sightron SIII scopes. they are fantastic glass, turrets are crisp and return to zero reliably. They can be had for <$900

As an example, check out my nephew's rifle. It has had everything described above done it with the exception of Sightron glass.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

My personal thoughts on your project....

308 with 20" barrel - 308 is a great cartridge to start with, but give some consideration to a longer barrel. Longer barrel = greater velocity. This will make it easier to get those bullets to go 800 yards.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Given your modest budget, a Rem 700 PSS would be a good all around choice in the $1k price range. It has an adjustable trigger, fiberglass stock, and is already free floated. As some one previously mentioned a SWFA Super Sniper scope would be decent glass in the $400 price range. I have also had good luck with the Weaver Extreme series if you can find one.

Here is my PSS .308 topped with a SS.

c35d8b93.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom