• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    Alright folks, I call upon your expertise.

I'm looking to start building a bolt action system, here's what I got so far:

I'm looking to achieve long range (700, 800+ yards?). So I'm thinking .308,
    Remington 700 SPS 20" 5/8-24 threads for breaks/suppressor options. Mcrees precision stock. That's about as far as I've gotten, I don't really know what I want for glass, rings, and base. Suggestions?

Is the Remington 700 capable of that kind of distance?

I would appreciate your thoughts on a system like this, I keep coming back to the Remington 700 for the cost and precision. I'm not looking to enter any competitions, and I'm kind of on a budget.

Should I be looking at a whole other bolt action to begin with?

Thanks,
    ~Scott

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Absolutely, get a 700. 700 to 800 yds no problem with a 700 in 308 if you have the skills. Get a 700 and get out there and shoot. Practice and experience make you better, not the gear, at least up until a point. Buy good ammo or reload as best rifle in world can't do much for you if the MV is +/- 50fps!

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Just a note: make sure the SPS has the 1:10 twist. I know that a member here took 4th at the last Mayberry match (600 yds) with the AAC model on a McRee stock. Older SPS models had 1:12 twist so it's something to look at if you are starting with a used platform.

Best of luck!

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Depends on your level of experience. Given the questions you are asking, I assume that you are not a seasoned pro. If a beginner, I would say start with a .22 (or maybe .223) bolt gun and master the basics inside 100-200 yards before you go beyond. Using match grade .308 ammo to learn on would be damned expensive... so much so that learning on a .22 will pay for itself quickly.

I question your decision to build the rifle yourself unless you are a gunsmith or very experinced and well-equipt gun tinkerer... there is so much that goes into making an accurate gun that a beginner would not even know the mistakes he is making until he sees pie plate goups at 200 yards. Many of these things require specialized tools as well.

The 700, properly set up, will definately do the trick inside 800 yards and beyond, but don't think that you need the best (most expensive) of everything to dominate 500-800 yards or further.

When I was ready to move out to further distances, I went a little budget, but don't think I lost much quality or accuracy. My gun is a Savage FCP-K (comes with threaded barrel, good stock and trigger) with deadntuz gamereaper one piece rings and a Bushnell Elite 6500 6-24x50. With some bargain hunting, I put everything together for about $1,400.

For anything past 600 yards, in a .308 gun, I would definately use 175+ grain match bullets. 300-600 use at least 168 grain IMO. I can't tell you how important consistent velocity is when you are shooting out that far. Get good ammo or load it yourself.

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    HT4, I wouldn't call myself a beginner. I built myself an AR system, and a couple of nice pistols. I'm definitely no gunsmith, but I do consider myself an "advanced tinkerer".

This will be the first bolt action I make, and the policy I've adopted is: "buy once, cry once". I hear the 700 is a great platform, so I plan to buy the rifle, and start modding it with quality pieces.

I need the most advice on glass, what optics can you recommend?

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I think you are gonna want a longer barrel (26"+) not that a 20 can't do it but you can achieve desired velocity figures with less powder and pressure. Good info already above. You are gonna want good glass magnification less important than resolution IMO. I would suggest a 20moa base or burris signature zee rings to accomplish different moa built in. I use 20 moa base and 10" offset zee rings for a total of near 30moa.

I think the listed rig is capable but a custom barrel and at least trued action would lead to better results but all that depends on inteded budget. Good luck and looking forward to finished project. And keep an eye out for slightly used match barrels too I have cam across a few good deals on .308s threaded for 700 action. Think I just saw one yesterday I'll look but it may have been palma chamber.

EDIT: I read the original post too fast...I see you aren't interested in competition (which could always change :)) and are on a budget. I think the rig you stated may serve you well then

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Other than shoot at 800 yards, what do you want to do with it? Practical shooting matches? F Class? Beginning with the end in mind will take you far...

What is "budget" glass to you? $300? $500? $700?

You could go fixed power, like the Super Sniper scopes to save some cash. If you want something with more bells and whistles, you could try the Weaver Tactical line.

I started my rifle with a 700 5R. Very good results.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    You can't go wrong with a 700 in .308. If you aren't reloading then you might want to look at that as your "next" hobby. You can control the quality better and it will save your wallet in the long run.

I have two rifles in McRee's and am a big fan of the chassis. You will not be disappointed.

As far as glass goes the motto of buy once cry once can not be over stated. I know from experience. You can get good glass starting with the Vortex PST series and on up depending on your budget. I would suggest a variable to at least 18 power if you plan on getting into any of the competitions.

I run EGW bases on both of my rifles.

Sounds like you have a good build started. Good luck and keep up posted.

Here is my 20" 700 in a McRee.
    DSC03500.JPG

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    These are new but from a private seller

Just found these to give you an example:

Bartlein unfinished $345

1-308 #7 contour 1-10 twist 5R rifling
    2-308 Medium Palma 1-12 twist 5R rifling
    2-308 Medium Palma 1-13 twist 5R rifling
    3-308 #9 contour 1-17 twist 5R rifling

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    herr.baer, that rig is almost exactly what I imagine my end product to be.

My budget is something like $1000 for the rifle. I can buy the glass, base, rings, trigger, stock ect later.

I'm worried that a stock barrel/action just won't do. So how do I go about this; buy the stock rifle and replace the barrel or buy custom?

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Is 1k for the starter rifle or for everything combined? If for the starter rifle and you stick with 308 you may just want to spring for a 5R. SS action 24" barrel 1:11.25 twist and pretty famous accuracy out of the box. Its what I'm running at the moment and it is far more accurate than I am. Great starter platform.

On the other hand there is at least one member here with a factory action on a Savage that is hitting 1/4 MOA.

Edit: Downside of the 5R is no magazine.

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    I still don't want more than a 20" barrel, it's more of a tactical (tacticool?) build, not a competition build. I do want mag capability, still kind of set on a mcrees stock. So I guess just buy a stock 700 and mod the action and replace the barrel later?

My budget is $1000 for the rifle, and I'll sell a kidney for the mods as I go...

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I still don't want more than a 20" barrel, it's more of a tactical (tacticool?) build, not a competition build. I do want mag capability, still kind of set on a mcrees stock. So I guess just buy a stock 700 and mod the action and replace the barrel later?

My budget is $1000 for the rifle, and I'll sell a kidney for the mods as I go...

I think a factory rig may serve you're needs but it can be a coin toss, some are perfect out of the box some not so much, never terrible but LR shooting needs decent prescion even for fun. You used to be able to get good deals on bare actions but I haven't seen any and barely any for sale at all so I think buying a stock 700 to mod now or later is a good plan. Or look for used rifles if you want to mod immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom