• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    If it was me, I would go with the PSA 16" midlength light weight upper. Add the MOE handguards and rear sight, and you'll have a pretty nice upper for $567. For the lower, buy a stripped lower from one of your local shops. Go to Joe Bob Outfitters for a lower build kit, piece together your own at Citizens Armory, or get PSA's MOE build kit. You could also get a Plum Crazy complete lower from Joe Bob, they are cheap and seem to work well. Any other questions?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    To the OP. I did a partial build for my first AR. Never owned one, played with them in the Army 14 years ago but I was drunk a lot between the last time I used one until I built mine. Like I said I did a partial build, I built the lower and bought a fully assmebled upper. It is easy to see what its going to cost you for all the parts but remember you will need tools and that is another $100 to $150 or there abouts. Good luck!!!!

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Tools aren't that expensive to build a lower. You need a roll pin punch set, screwdriver, castle nut wrench, moly assembly grease, blue locktite, and maybe a center punch.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Tools aren't that expensive to build a lower. You need a roll pin punch set, screwdriver, castle nut wrench, moly assembly grease, blue locktite, and maybe a center punch.
    forgot vise blocks, roll pin starter set, torque wrench, set of hex keys. If you do not have a workbench you will need one of those plus a vise. By themselves all are fairly cheap but if you have none of these it is an added expense that will pay for itself down the road after 3-4 builds.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    forgot vise blocks, roll pin starter set, torque wrench, set of hex keys. If you do not have a workbench you will need one of those plus a vise. By themselves all are fairly cheap but if you have none of these it is an added expense that will pay for itself down the road after 3-4 builds.

What are you talking about? I put together my lower using a vice grip, needle-nose pliers, and a screw driver. 3 tools that anyone should have laying around anyway.

Oh and my hands, if you wanna get technical.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    What are you talking about? I put together my lower using a vice grip, needle-nose pliers, and a screw driver. 3 tools that anyone should have laying around anyway.

Oh and my hands, if you wanna get technical.

I am happy for you but I go on the assumption that people are mechanically inept enough that changing a light bulb needs proper tools and guidelines. I also believe right tool for the right job usually does not leave a trail of tears when everything is said and done.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I am happy for you but I go on the assumption that people are mechanically inept enough that changing a light bulb needs proper tools and guidelines. I also believe right tool for the right job usually does not leave a trail of tears when everything is said and done.

Wasn't that hard. There's a how-to over on arfcom on using vice grips to insert all the pins, instead of punches. Much simpler in my opinion.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Wasn't that hard. There's a how-to over on arfcom on using vice grips to insert all the pins, instead of punches. Much simpler in my opinion.

Oh I believe you but I think one should always walk before running. I am also with you but for a novice I recommend the right tools first. I have taken plenty of allen, torx, and phillps head screws out with a flat blade or needle nose or epoxy crap from as seen on TV.

:D

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    any thoughts on the flash hider options?

A2
    yhm 5c1
    yhm 28 5m2

do any of these effect accuracy

I have a YHM Phantom 28a on my 14.5 and like it. Nice and pointy and evil looking.

None will have an effect on accuracy. A compensator/muzzle brake would help reduce recoil, but I'd avoid them if you shoot indoors at all. They intensify the concussion of the blast and WILL piss off whoever is in the lane next to you as they send hot gasses into their face.

Here's my 28a:
    6938604687_ee31197ce3.jpg

jashu360

Jun 7, 2011
    Darlington

i agree with you 100% i bought all the tools the other guy listed and didnt even use them, you dont need any of that bull and there were no tears at the end of my build, now i did shed a tear of joy the first time i shot it:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom