• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Further update: those Big45 Frontier pads are amazing! Thank you for the tip! Unfortunately the rust had penetrated beyond the bluing, but at least the pads got the rust off with just a little elbow grease. I just ordered more of them.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Sounds like the feed ramp is ok but the chamber has an issue holding the bullet back. I would inspect it good with bolt out with a flashlight. If something in there then use a brass cleaning brush cut off handle and put into a drill.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Sounds like the feed ramp is ok but the chamber has an issue holding the bullet back. I would inspect it good with bolt out with a flashlight. If something in there then use a brass cleaning brush cut off handle and put into a drill.
    Username checks out! Ha! Are you familiar with these particular Herter's models?

Thanks. I had that issue fixed by a gunsmith -- he had to ream the bore. I shot it the other day and it functions fine now. The ejection reliability isn't 100% but it works well enough that I'm going to keep working on the rifle. The only issue I'm having is with the scope. I'm going to try putting a different scope on it and see if that fixes it.

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    Username checks out! Ha! Are you familiar with these particular Herter's models?

Thanks. I had that issue fixed by a gunsmith -- he had to ream the bore. I shot it the other day and it functions fine now. The ejection reliability isn't 100% but it works well enough that I'm going to keep working on the rifle. The only issue I'm having is with the scope. I'm going to try putting a different scope on it and see if that fixes it.
    Im really familiar and have a lot of experience with all Mauser actions. I have even built quite a few deer rifles on Mauser receivers. When I barrel mine I also ream the chambers with finishing reamers and use head space gauges. I do actually have the reamers and gauges for about every common caliber. Just no Magnum.

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020

Oh and about the scope. Are the scope base holes drilled too deep and screws protruding a little inside? Just wondering. Usually 6/48 screws and will rub the bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom