• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I really don't think you will learn any more about the platform from milling it yourself. HBAR are still in effect for an 80% lower right. And couldn't we buy stripped lowers in VA legally to build pistols or hbars with?

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Dont listen to these ppl..Finish it.. put some jb on the bottom.. itll be fine .. the only thing you really even need a bottom for is the trigger spring pressure, and i think jb would hold fine..

As long as its just for plinking at the range whats it really matter to try?

Eta.. that looks awful.. you need to take your time! A personal suggestion would be leave room at the bottom and do all the sides.. then ago over it a few more times taking only a small bit off at a time till its where you want it

Eta again.. i would recommend just starting fresh... but it seems youve been clear about wanting to use this one

UrgentFury

Lead Connoisseur
    Apr 5, 2015
    42.915758,-78.72248
    I really don't think you will learn any more about the platform from milling it yourself.
    I may have misspoken. I see your point, but given the option I would still rather build it myself.

HBAR are still in effect for an 80% lower right.
    I believe this is correct so long as: length exceeds 24" and you have only one of the restricted items (e.g.: flash suppressor, folding stock, or Grenade/flare launcher).

And couldn't we buy stripped lowers in VA legally to build pistols or hbars with?
    Not without a VA license... right? Not sure.

UrgentFury

Lead Connoisseur
    Apr 5, 2015
    42.915758,-78.72248
    Eta.. that looks awful.. you need to take your time! A personal suggestion would be leave room at the bottom and do all the sides.. then ago over it a few more times taking only a small bit off at a time till its where you want it

Eta again.. i would recommend just starting fresh... but it seems youve been clear about wanting to use this one

I know, I always have to learn the hard way :( Thanks for your suggestions though, and I will take them into consideration on my other.

Regarding my wanting to use this one- it is more of an issue what to do with it now. I could just chuck it, but the .22LR seemed like a good idea. I have it JB Welded and I'm leaving it to cure. Either way it will be on the back burner for a while, and only used for recreational purposes (if I ever slap an upper on it).

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Ha! Did you make a 1911 from 80%? I have seen those too.

Nope, not an 80% lower. I've taken a few 1911 build classes where we start out with finished slides and frames that need to be fit and parts kits that need to be fit.

Thankfully I haven't screwed up a frame or slide yet. I did have to have a barrel hood welded up though. Those parts are too expensive to use as reminders.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    But you get enough to fix lots of 80% lowers that you mill to death. The stuff really is good, much better than jb weld. No mixing and it really can be milled. Good stuff to have on hand.

Lol :thumbsup:

First time I've heard if it.. Reason why I googled it. ;)

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Lesson learned but working with it can teach you more, so maybe dead in the "ready for battle" sense but like CPR, it was started somehow, somewhere by someredneck who said "watch this shit" and brought another use out of something. Kudos for trying.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Looks like I have to vote against the majority on this one. Give it a shot! I've used J B weld on some things I never expected it to work on and been amazed. I've seen it used by others to effect even more unbelievable repairs. Unless I missed something you're just talking the floor of the trigger well, right?

Look, you've nothing to lose at this point. The area being "repaired" is not one of particular stress. All it has to do is support a couple springs that don't exert more than a couple pounds of force - if that.
    Lastly... their making these things out of relatively soft plastic extruded by a robotic (3D) printer for goodness sake! Why on earth would anyone declare this a total loss? It may not be pretty but unusable? Unsalvageable? Hardly!

Again, WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE, but as tube of super putty? Please keep us updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom