• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I've been deer hunting for almost 30 years, I have yet to bag one :sad20: . I really need to join a hunt club or something, too many idiots on public lands. At least now I have a decent bow, I might get something this year.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but you are saying that every year for thirty years you have been hunting and NEVER have gotten a deer? Am I somehow reading this out of context?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    How many times have you gone out each season?? You really need to get a friend that can help you out and ask a lot of questions here.

I've had opportunities on multiple occasions, the problem being other people on the land I'm on screwing things up for me. Classic example, I'm staked out on the edge of the WMA property. I see a doe running up the hill right towards me. Once she crosses over on to the WMA land I can shoot her. About this time three jackasses start coming over the rise behind me, laughing and carrying on. Yes, last day, either sex day, and these three can't shut up. Needless to say, I get situations like this at least twice a year. Since I've been out of work since the end of September, I've had more time to track deer habits and other hunter's habits. I've also got my muzzleloader sighted in and I picked up a crossbow, so I get to hunt now and not when a human tide runs through the land. This might be my year, I just need to work on not getting frustrated and putting my blind where the deer are and other people aren't.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I've had opportunities on multiple occasions, the problem being other people on the land I'm on screwing things up for me. Classic example, I'm staked out on the edge of the WMA property. I see a doe running up the hill right towards me. Once she crosses over on to the WMA land I can shoot her. About this time three jackasses start coming over the rise behind me, laughing and carrying on. Yes, last day, either sex day, and these three can't shut up. Needless to say, I get situations like this at least twice a year. Since I've been out of work since the end of September, I've had more time to track deer habits and other hunter's habits. I've also got my muzzleloader sighted in and I picked up a crossbow, so I get to hunt now and not when a human tide runs through the land. This might be my year, I just need to work on not getting frustrated and putting my blind where the deer are and other people aren't.

I had to quit letting a guy tag along hunting cuz he would never shut up...well Im not an expert but if you have any questions ask away. One thing is certain...you cant get a deer unless you get out in the woods...

best thing to do is find a good deer intersection and put up a brush blind 20-30yds away if you don't have private land to hunt. Also if its legal...clear a path to your blind so you don't make noise getting in there and get in there at least a couple hours before last shooting light...

Good luck! Please feel free to ask questions!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've found a section of the WMA I'm going to that has a lot of deer traffic but is a pain to get into. Tomorrow night I'm putting my portable ground blind into a section of bushes that face the trail the deer are using but not so close as to scare the deer off. It's hard to get to as it's on the edge of a corn field that doesn't really have a walkway to get to. Plus there's a barbed wire fence between the fire road and that section of the field. I'll be there about 3:00 pm, the deer come out at 4:30 so my scent should be dispersed prior to the deer getting there.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I've found a section of the WMA I'm going to that has a lot of deer traffic but is a pain to get into. Tomorrow night I'm putting my portable ground blind into a section of bushes that face the trail the deer are using but not so close as to scare the deer off. It's hard to get to as it's on the edge of a corn field that doesn't really have a walkway to get to. Plus there's a barbed wire fence between the fire road and that section of the field. I'll be there about 3:00 pm, the deer come out at 4:30 so my scent should be dispersed prior to the deer getting there.

If you have some buck bomb-doe pee spray it on the bottom of your boots as a cover scent...don't get too crazy and spray it on you...you might get jumped by a RANDY buck:lol2:

Sounds like you got a good spot...the further away and harder to get to...will limit how many hunters come out that far...Good luck! Let us know how you do! I hope you get one!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Ugh hunting will drive a newbie nuts. I walk out at dark and the farmer is like did you see that big doe over there....SMH

Loading up I see 3 big doe in the adjacent field.....

I just want one before the season ends.....

It is hunting and there never is any right or wrong to it. One day on opening day for gun season, I got to the farm late and the best I could do was sit by a tree about 100 yards from the farm house. Didn't think I would see a single thing since all the other hunters were already out and on the perimeter of the farm. Well, a newb decided to get out of his stand at 10:00 and he pushed a 7 pointer right to me. The 7 pointer stopped to look back at him and the 150 grain bullet from me did the job. Never thought I would have seen anything that day.

Same far, a couple years earlier, I got there late for the afternoon hunt after coming from a different farm I hunted in the morning. So, I hiked to the top of a hill, sat down in a bunch of brush, and not 30 minutes later a group of 10+ does runs right by where I was sitting. They stopped at 100 yards to look back at me. I shot one. Before entering the woods 50 yards further down, they stopped to look back again. I shot another. They went into the woods and I thought it was all over. Nope. They came out of the woods about 300 yards from me and I shot another. Went to the farm house and told the guys there watching the Florida v. Florida State game that I had just killed 3 and they could not believe it.

Then, there are the days you are positive you are going to have a great day and you get skunked.

This is why it is called hunting, not shooting. There is no guarantee of anything, other than a challenge and a lot of fun should you be passionate about it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Almost 30 years. Yeah, I missed a few years since 1984.

I will say WOW. The first time I went deer hunting, I killed one within the first 30 minutes. I passed on so many does over the year that it is rather insane. Deer around here are pretty plentiful. Then again, I have only ever hunted public land once. Cannot imagine that hunting public land is all that great. Most of the stories I hear about it are horror stories, but I might just start hunting public land for ducks. Just have to figure out where to do it and how to do it.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    If you have some buck bomb-doe pee spray it on the bottom of your boots as a cover scent
    Yup on your soles.

I have witnessed deer sniff my trail -
    I did not use scent cover, and these boots are 4 yrs old, I walked 500 yards thru a field,
    new winter wheat sprouting, so plenty of dirt on my soles...
    and she crossed my path 30 yards to my sit on the bucket in the reeds spot.
    She smelt my path, ears up, for like 3 minutes, did NOT cross my path.
    Then the muzz CVA smokepole ignited - and the deer ran 160 yards!
    I MISSED? WTF????
    No, she crashed down in the middle of an open field. Whew, easy find.
    Shot a bit far back, but must've nicked a few things.
    Not gutshot.
    Never had a deer move more than say 5 feet after shooting.
    Good thing I wasn't in the woods. Never would've found her.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    It is hunting and there never is any right or wrong to it. One day on opening day for gun season, I got to the farm late and the best I could do was sit by a tree about 100 yards from the farm house. Didn't think I would see a single thing since all the other hunters were already out and on the perimeter of the farm. Well, a newb decided to get out of his stand at 10:00 and he pushed a 7 pointer right to me. The 7 pointer stopped to look back at him and the 150 grain bullet from me did the job. Never thought I would have seen anything that day.

Same far, a couple years earlier, I got there late for the afternoon hunt after coming from a different farm I hunted in the morning. So, I hiked to the top of a hill, sat down in a bunch of brush, and not 30 minutes later a group of 10+ does runs right by where I was sitting. They stopped at 100 yards to look back at me. I shot one. Before entering the woods 50 yards further down, they stopped to look back again. I shot another. They went into the woods and I thought it was all over. Nope. They came out of the woods about 300 yards from me and I shot another. Went to the farm house and told the guys there watching the Florida v. Florida State game that I had just killed 3 and they could not believe it.

Then, there are the days you are positive you are going to have a great day and you get skunked.
    This is why it is called hunting, not shooting. There is no guarantee of anything, other than a challenge and a lot of fun should you be passionate about it.

:thumbsup:Ive had plenty of days like that...some of the noisiest days I see deer and the best days I think are going to be easy to kill a deer turn into a bust:lol2: but I enjoy being outside so not all is lost:D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    :thumbsup:Ive had plenty of days like that...some of the noisiest days I see deer and the best days I think are going to be easy to kill a deer turn into a bust:lol2: but I enjoy being outside so not all is lost:D

Just got back from a field trip to a dairy farm with my son. Contemplating quitting the practice of law and starting a dairy farm. I prefer being outside way more than sitting in front of this desk.

Like everything, I bet there are good and bad days.

Like you, I enjoy just being outdoors. Almost all my hobbies revolve around being outdoors. So, any day of hunting is better than one where I am stuck inside. Cannot wait to take my kids hunting.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Just got back from a field trip to a dairy farm with my son. Contemplating quitting the practice of law and starting a dairy farm. I prefer being outside way more than sitting in front of this desk.

Like everything, I bet there are good and bad days.

Like you, I enjoy just being outdoors. Almost all my hobbies revolve around being outdoors. So, any day of hunting is better than one where I am stuck inside. Cannot wait to take my kids hunting.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:my last couple years in the military was behind a desk...it was brutal...:sad20: I feel claustrophobic in an office... Good luck with your farm if that's what you choose to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom