• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Last minute hunt. Went to a field wooded area that I have seen plenty before. I get there and see harvesters and a fresh cut field. Move or stay? I am sitting on the skirts of the field in brush.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    If harvesters are quiet....stay....see what comes out just before dusk...

you might be suprised

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I would wait a day or two but depends how much food there is...and how flighty the deer in your area are. They could be back before last shooting light. Ive seen deer not even care to...take off full tails in the air. If you think the farmers will be harvesting till dusk I would just wait till tomorrow at least. Just my opinion...

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Moved to a different field. These guys just started making a bunch of noise. At least sunset will look pretty from here

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    It has been a numbered of years ago however I was faced with the same situation. I stuck it out and shot a nice doe. Several had come out into the field even with the combining in progress. I hunted a smaller L- shaped section that had already been combined.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If it's corn that has been cut and the farmers aren't near where you are sitting, then deer are quite likely to come out at dusk. They will be looking for any fallen corn to glean, unless you or someone else has a big corn pile else ware nearby that draws them away. At least you will probably see a fox, raccoons, maybe a coyote. Coons look for corn, the k9's for shredded/wounded rodents/birds, and just out of curiosity. Plus k9's like to edge walk anyway.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    It's a 50/50 shot, but, given my years of harvested fields at the farm you might as well go home and chat here for about two days. If the Deer come out on that field on a regular basis, daily even, then they are not deep in the woods and they have heard every noise coming from that field all day. Or you can set and pray for the best. Does and Fawns are pretty hard headed and that might be all you see, but, it's meat.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Ugh hunting will drive a newbie nuts. I walk out at dark and the farmer is like did you see that big doe over there....SMH

Loading up I see 3 big doe in the adjacent field.....

I just want one before the season ends.....

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yes I use a recurve right now and am left handed. I shoot very good with a recurve up to about 30 yards. After that its questionable.

you have lots of days left...Ive had the best luck in the evenings. but it could be different in your area. 30yds is really good. just don't give up!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've been deer hunting for almost 30 years, I have yet to bag one :sad20: . I really need to join a hunt club or something, too many idiots on public lands. At least now I have a decent bow, I might get something this year.

You need to come on over across the river and join me one day for a hunt. You'll get tired of seeing Deer at the farm.

This is also why you will repeatedly hear me say that, "If the day comes where I am left to hunt only Public land I will give up hunting and sell all of my guns and take up Bingo" I tell everyone this same statement.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You need to come on over across the river and join me one day for a hunt. You'll get tired of seeing Deer at the farm.

This is also why you will repeatedly hear me say that, "If the day comes where I am left to hunt only Public land I will give up hunting and sell all of my guns and take up Bingo" I tell everyone this same statement.

I might just have to take you up on that next year. I have no problems with squirrels and doves, it's anything weighing more than 20 pounds that's giving me fits. Plus I don't get to do any real scouting prior to the season.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I've been deer hunting for almost 30 years, I have yet to bag one :sad20: . I really need to join a hunt club or something, too many idiots on public lands. At least now I have a decent bow, I might get something this year.

My hunting club normally takes on some new members around feb-march ( when a spit opens up). And this year it is looking like a couple will be dropping out so there should be some openings.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Deer could care less about combining equipment because they are used to it. ALWAYS hunt a fresh cut cornfield because all the deer that lived in that corn had to go somewhere and most likely will come back to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom