• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Welcome aboard. As noted, you may have to search a bit for a good instructor, but that's the best place to start.

Ocean

Eager to Learn Gun Newbie
    May 5, 2009
    Ocean City, MD
    Welcome.

First, do you have your C&R yet? :D <snip>....

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want.....like asking what the C&R is for instance. ;)

Yeah, ummm, no idea what C&R is :innocent0

Google told me its some kind of license (Curio and Relic comes up), no idea what it is :(

Mossyoak said:
    Welcome Andrei,

Family heads down to OC every summer, where is the best place for crabs down there?

LOL are you just messing with me?
    Just in case you are serious, most smaller crab houses are generally good (Higgins, Crabs on the Bay, PGN, Watermans). Stay away from Hoopers and Phillips. Those are tourist traps that locals generally know to avoid.

My fav places would have to be Bahama Mama's downtown, or Higgins on 31st St.

Would a Water Cooler be a proper section for a "give me advice for my first gun" thread?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Yeah, ummm, no idea what C&R is :innocent0

Google told me its some kind of license (Curio and Relic comes up), no idea what it is :(

This thread was made for just that question. It is a very informative bit that the poster Coinboy compiled for people new to C&R. :)
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=14616

It is a little early for a new shooter to get, but just because you apply and maybe even get your license before you get training, it does not mean you have to use it right away. It lasts for three years.

Boqueesha

Nov 6, 2008
    Montgomery Village
    Welcome Andrei,

Family heads down to OC every summer, where is the best place for crabs down there?

LOL are you just messing with me?
    Just in case you are serious, most smaller crab houses are generally good (Higgins, Crabs on the Bay, PGN, Watermans). Stay away from Hoopers and Phillips. Those are tourist traps that locals generally know to avoid.

My fav places would have to be Bahama Mama's downtown, or Higgins on 31st St.

Would a Water Cooler be a proper section for a "give me advice for my first gun" thread?

Ed's Chicken and Crabs in Dewey is my favorite...GREAT crawfish and they also have hushpuppies! ...which are both enough to get me to come eat there

Ocean

May 5, 2009
    Ocean City, MD
    This thread was made for just that question. It is a very informative bit that the poster Coinboy compiled for people new to C&R. :)
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=14616

It is a little early for a new shooter to get, but just because you apply and maybe even get your license before you get training, it does not mean you have to use it right away. It lasts for three years.

thank you for the link.:thumbsup:

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    Hey guys (and gals). Great board you have here, I am glad Google let me know of your existence.

I am very (VERY) new to guns, but very eager to learn, ask questions and listen to all the good advice I can get.

The main reason for me coming here for help, is that I have no one in Ocean City, MD (where I live) that knows (or has) guns - with the exception of my stepson's dad, but naturally we are on a "hi - bye" basis.

When I say I am "new", I mean I know nothing about guns. I am 26 (I hope its not too late for me to start). I originally was thinking about getting a gun for self defense of my family and home, but I also want to learn to shoot and handle it properly. Learn about firearms, so I am not a danger myself being a gun owner and user.

The way I was raised, I dont think I will ever be able to hunt. Even just an idea of blasting away a squirrel or a pigeon away for fun does not seem appealing. But I am really excited about going to shooting ranges and learning to plink with a rifle/shotgun/pistol.

So I guess my hopes are for this board:

1. make new online and real life friends :) - Well we'll all be your friends online, but I'll be your friend in real life, depending on how much ammo you throw my way...:D

2. I really hope I could find some people in my area (Ocean City/Berlin/Salisbury/maybe DE thats close) that would be interested in meeting in person, taking me under a wing, showing me the ropes on the shooting range, help me get started as a new gun owner in general and introducing me to the local shooting community. - My friends and I sometimes go over to Pintail Point, mostly on Friday's, but I'd be willing to go on a Saturday and shoot some clays with you, to help you get acclimated to the sporting side of shooting. Just shoot me a PM.

3. I hope people on this board could point me in the right direction as far as purchasing a gun, finding local ranges and gun safety classes/shooting classes (I have had really hard time finding all this info online for some reason).

None of this questions are specific (I will make separate threads for that). This is just kind of what I am looking for. I hope I am in the right place, and I hope for a warm welcome :)

As I mentioned, I do live in Ocean City, MD. I would imagine that Ocean City would be one of the top vacation places for MD folks. I happen to work as a rental property manager, so if you guys need some advice as far as on vacation rentals, or plain old "what's a good place to eat crabs" advice from a local, let me know :)

Sorry for a long first post, and thanks for taking your time to read this :)

Best wishes,

Andrei

Welcome aboard Andrei...glad to have you here!

Feel free to ask away!

And like I said about the Pintail Point...just shoot me a PM and we can talk more...

Ocean

May 5, 2009
    Ocean City, MD
    Welcome aboard Andrei...glad to have you here!

Feel free to ask away!

And like I said about the Pintail Point...just shoot me a PM and we can talk more...

Thank you!

I looked up pintail point (queenstown, right?). About two hours away from me, so worth a drive to see a friendly face. Definitely a possibility. Thanks again for the offer.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Oh I know. Its never too late... I just start feeling self conscious when I keep reading "I got my first gun when I was 5", "I was shooting shotguns since I was 7" :)

I'm almost 38, got my first pistol in March. I've shot various pistols and rifles infrequently through the years but just never got around to buying one of my own. When I finally did, I got a .40, which, as everyone knows, is at least 18 points better than a .22. (kidding!)

Anyways, welcome. I'm going to be down your neck of the woods this weekend for a convention. Like the typical tourist, I'm heading over to Philips for the buffet. What can I say, I like it :)

And mind what these other fellers tell you about an addiction. I bought a pistol thinking I only wanted a pistol. Now, I'm saving up for a rifle to keep it company. I'm told that its all down hill from there.

Ocean

May 5, 2009
    Ocean City, MD
    And mind what these other fellers tell you about an addiction. I bought a pistol thinking I only wanted a pistol. Now, I'm saving up for a rifle to keep it company. I'm told that its all down hill from there.

LOL thanks for heads up.

I am really excited and looking forward to "getting hooked" :)

ScottB

Apr 22, 2009
    Pasadena
    Welcome from AA Co.

Ocean, how is the new Dough Roller since it was rebuilt?

My birthday is coming up in June. When the wife asked where I wanted to go for dinner, I told her to take me to Dough Roller for pizza on the Boardwalk in OC! Any inside info on an inexpensive room for the weekend of 5/29 - 5/31? (week after Memorial Day)

Ocean

May 5, 2009
    Ocean City, MD
    Welcome from AA Co.

Ocean, how is the new Dough Roller since it was rebuilt?

My birthday is coming up in June. When the wife asked where I wanted to go for dinner, I told her to take me to Dough Roller for pizza on the Boardwalk in OC! Any inside info on an inexpensive room for the weekend of 5/29 - 5/31? (week after Memorial Day)

I have not been to the new dough roller since it re opened, but I know it is up and running. I go to the one on 42nd st quite a bit (across from work), and all Dough Rollers are generally reasonably priced and good food! My boss's kid is getting ready to start working at new Dough Roller in a couple of weeks.

My wife is a General Manager at the Francis Scott Key, I will check with her if they have any specials, and I work two nights a week at the Castle in the Sand hotel. I will check the rates there on Thursday and let you know. Hold that thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom