• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsiderbam

Jan 7, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Hello!

I'm George, a 21 year-old currently living in Annapolis and am a junior at the Academy. I'm originally from Las Vegas and have shot a few times, but am now looking at getting a weapon of my own, primarily for recreational shooting.\

I've looked a good bit over the gun and gun purchasing law and realize that even though I'm out-of-state active duty military, I count as a resident of Maryland and thus must obey their gun laws.

I'm looking at purchasing a Beretta cx4 Storm (9mm) and will be receiving a handgun from my uncle when I graduate. We have a range at the Academy but cannot use it, and I have nowhere to store the weapon. That leaves me with pretty much one option -- store the gun at a range. I found a range within 50 minutes driving distance that offers annual gun storage and range memberships at (what seam to me) to be reasonable prices -- Gilbert's Indoor Range in Rockville, MD.

However, I have some questions: what exactly do I need to do to purchase the cx4 (it's not a handgun so the rules are much less strict, yes?)? Is there a waiting period, and if so, how long is it? What are the restrictions on transporting it in my car to the range or anywhere else? What fees are there and what would I need to purchase aside from just the gun, cleaning materials, and magazines? Does being active duty military give me any advantage in buying/owning a gun in terms of price/law? From what I understand, Maryland is most restrictive states in terms of gun ownership.

Thanks a bunch guys! This seems like a cool community.

- George

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Hello!

I'm George, a 21 year-old currently living in Annapolis and am a junior at the Academy. I'm originally from Las Vegas and have shot a few times, but am now looking at getting a weapon of my own, primarily for recreational shooting.\

I've looked a good bit over the gun and gun purchasing law and realize that even though I'm out-of-state active duty military, I count as a resident of Maryland and thus must obey their gun laws.

I'm looking at purchasing a Beretta cx4 Storm (9mm) and will be receiving a handgun from my uncle when I graduate. We have a range at the Academy but cannot use it, and I have nowhere to store the weapon. That leaves me with pretty much one option -- store the gun at a range. I found a range within 50 minutes driving distance that offers annual gun storage and range memberships at (what seam to me) to be reasonable prices -- Gilbert's Indoor Range in Rockville, MD.

However, I have some questions: what exactly do I need to do to purchase the cx4 (it's not a handgun so the rules are much less strict, yes?)? Is there a waiting period, and if so, how long is it? What are the restrictions on transporting it in my car to the range or anywhere else? What fees are there and what would I need to purchase aside from just the gun, cleaning materials, and magazines? From what I understand, Maryland is most restrictive states in terms of gun ownership.

Thanks a bunch guys! This seems like a cool community.

- George
    Welcome from another part of Annapolis. :D

:thumbsup:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    If I was your plebe sponsor, I'd happily store your guns for you nearby in Edgewater. :D

On the CX4, it is an unregulated firearm so it follows normal rifle rules for transport. No waiting period, just cash-pass-background-check-carry.

Cleaning-wise, go with what works for you. A boresnake, a basic cleaning kit of your choice and some patches is all you need. I am big on boresnakes and CLP for routine cleaning.

No advantage to being a mid, sorry.

Matt

nsiderbam

Jan 7, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Well, I searched far and wide for info before I posted this thread, and now just stumbled upon all the info I needed (on the NRA-ILA website). Not exactly sure when I'll go out and purchase the gun.

Also, from what I understand, nobody really understands the transport rules for Maryland. Handguns must be transported in a locked case with the ammo in a separate container, and as non-AR rifles aren't regulated, they may be transported in any way that they aren't accessible to the driver or passengers while driving. However, it appears that MD police and gun registrars give out false information that is not actually in the law and make it impossible to see what the gun law actually is?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/mar/13/miller-dcs-gun-law-deception/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/mar/29/miller-transporting-guns-maryland/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/apr/2/miller-dc-resists-correcting-gun-laws/

So, just to be super safe and avoid a felony, I should get a lock-able case for the rifle and transport it in my trunk? Since it will likely be stored at the range, I don't really have to worry about transporting it often? Thanks guys.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy.

www,marylandshallissue.org

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members