• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yeah, cities like Toronto and Montreal are exactly like that. Construction, accidents, rubberneckers making it worse, and overall some of the worst drivers you've ever seen in your life. People in Albuquerque complain about traffic and I just laugh.

Yup, I was in Utah and the people told us we needed to leave before "rush hour" which was like a normal Sunday morning at 6am around here.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Usually when highway traffic is bad, the surface roads are completely clogged too.

That's why when people start talking about bugging out when STHF I tell them I'm bugging in. Unless you have advanced notice of a disaster and a destination to go to you're going to end up in a FEMA camp at best.

silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Hi all,

Current NM resident here, moving to Maryland next month - probably either QA or AA county, but could be PG. I'll know in the next couple of weeks after a house hunting trip with my wife. Reason for the move is a job offer in MD that was too good to pass up. Trust me, I tried to figure out a way we could live in VA or DE, but the commute would be too long to make sense.

I'm a new gun owner (CZ P10c so far) and NRA member, and plan to join MSI as well. Here's hoping the laws in MD will eventually look more like those enjoyed by law-abiding citizens in other states.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions I hope some of you can help with. Are there any clubs/ranges that any of you would recommend in QA, AA or PG counties? I'm looking for one with reasonable fees (ideally $200 or less per year), evening/weekend hours, allow target shooting for pistols, rifles, shotguns and bows (I only own the P10c so far, but plan to expand as budget allows) and allow permanent resident shooters (I'm Canadian, wife's American). My local sportsmen's club in NM ticks all those boxes, but my research in Maryland has come up lacking so far.

Welcome, I recently moved from NM (near Silver City) to MD, it's quite the drive! Since I've been here the only place I have found is that meets your requirements is the Stoney Creek Rod & Gun Club. I personally did not like their politics, so I'm not a member, but maybe it's for you.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Strictly speaking, we already have two bridges, the 1952 span, and the 1973 span .

In 2004, Gov Bob formed a committe to study additional crossings. The report was issued in 2005. It listed 4 possibilities, but declined to make recomendations.

1. Baltimore to Kent Co
    2. Additional span current location.
    3. South AA or North Calvert to Worchester.
    4. South Calvert to Dorchester.

( My commentary ) #2 would be best probability to actually get approved to build .But the approach corridors are already close to capacity, and an up to 50% increase in bridge capacity would shift the choke point from the actual Bridge(s), the US 50, etc as a whole.

The other plans would totally transform the Eastern Shore county(s) in question into unregognizable developement and sprawl . Beachgoers from western shore would enjoy faster trips to Ocean City, But the particular Counties involved, and much of the Eastern Shore in general would fight this to the death. The current resident either actually farm ( as a verb) , or made delibert decisions to move to a slower paced rural area.

Construction workers and real estate speculators would welcome a finiancial windfall, but overwhelming of the rest would think that if they wanted to live in Silver Spring, they would be living there instead. They don't want Silver Spring to follow them, and replace their rural/ small town environment.

Yeah, I guess that's fair.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    The problem started when they started (about 15 yrs ago roughly) developing rural Eastern Shore near the bridge with pretty nice housing on good-sized lots way cheaper than anything on the Western Shore.

Yeah, the cheaper housing on the eastern shore is one of the big reasons we have QA county on our list. For the same price as a townhome or duplex with a tiny yard on the western side, we're seeing detached homes with 1/3 of an acre or more. That certainly has an appeal, though heavy traffic does not. Tough call!

BTW, pay ZERO attention to those Google traffic times, even the local TV news traffic airheads are a thousand percent wrong two thousand percent of the time. I have a 37.3 mile (one way) daily commute. The worse stretch where I hit the most traffic is the West Side of the Baltimore Beltway (I-695), from I-795 to the I-95 exit, only 11 or 12 miles. Normal drive time is 11 min from all accounts, when traffic is bad they say about 25 min thru that stretch. So you'd think an extra 14 min, right? WRONG, my overall 40 min commute becomes 1hr-45 min to 2 hrs. So where does the other 60 to 70 min come from when the only traffic I hit is that stretch they claim to be backed up only 14 min?

That sounds pretty rough. I'd be willing to commute up to an hour, maybe 1h15m, but once you start pushing two hours one way, that's insane. Is this every day, or just Fridays that the traffic is so bad?

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    GOG if you are going to work somewhere right off of MD Route 32, there are good neighborhoods on the eastern side of central AA Co that are a much shorter commute than "south county" as the lower part is known. Broad Neck peninsula and Arnold have some decent houses and occaisionally a reasonable fixer upper. QA Co/Kent Island is already sucking salt from the Bay into drinking water wells and crying for water from the mainland; also, there's not a lot of really high ground on KI ... hasn't really been a "real" hurricane since most of those houses were built ... and they are still building more.

I'm not sure yet where I'll end up working - still applying for jobs, and self-employed for now. My wife will be working in eastern AA. It does seem like jobs in DC or Baltimore would be easier to get to from eastern AA than southern AA due to being able to quickly hop on 50/32/I-97 though, I agree.

The Broadneck peninsula is certainly on our list - we'll be checking out a few homes over there, and in areas surrounding.

According to MGS, the highest point in AA county is still only 300 feet ASL. Better than the max 87 feet in QA county I guess, but when you're used to living at 7400 feet in NM, it all sounds like low ground.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Yup, I was in Utah and the people told us we needed to leave before "rush hour" which was like a normal Sunday morning at 6am around here.

Hahaha yeah, when my wife and I were moving to NM, we came for a house hunting trip on what happened to be balloon fiesta weekend in Albuquerque - probably the busiest event of the year there. Everyone we talked to mentioned how horrible the traffic was, and how they couldn't stand it. We just laughed - I've seen worse traffic on the 401 near Toronto at midnight on a Saturday.[/QUOTE]

That's why when people start talking about bugging out when STHF I tell them I'm bugging in. Unless you have advanced notice of a disaster and a destination to go to you're going to end up in a FEMA camp at best.

I agree. If you're bugging out, you have to not only have a good place (preferably multiple options) to bug out to, but you have to be able to get there. Any major city I've lived in, the traffic makes it difficult to get out in a hurry at the best of times. You're absolutely right, bugging in is usually a much better option. I'd rather be at home with supplies and gear than stuck in traffic on a highway somewhere when SHTF.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Welcome, I recently moved from NM (near Silver City) to MD, it's quite the drive! Since I've been here the only place I have found is that meets your requirements is the Stoney Creek Rod & Gun Club. I personally did not like their politics, so I'm not a member, but maybe it's for you.

Ah, nice. We're up north of Santa Fe. It's a beautiful state, that's for sure.

I just took a look at the Stoney Creek club's website and it sounds like you have to be sponsored by a current member. It's a non-starter for now though, since they also require you to be a US citizen, which I am not. Thanks for the suggestion though!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Yeah, the cheaper housing on the eastern shore is one of the big reasons we have QA county on our list. For the same price as a townhome or duplex with a tiny yard on the western side, we're seeing detached homes with 1/3 of an acre or more. That certainly has an appeal, though heavy traffic does not. Tough call!

That sounds pretty rough. I'd be willing to commute up to an hour, maybe 1h15m, but once you start pushing two hours one way, that's insane. Is this every day, or just Fridays that the traffic is so bad?

Every single day.

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    Slightly off-topic: Sorry to burst your commute bubble, please allow me to give you some helpful advice (at least I think it is). "Doable at least on weekends"?? Being from NM, you've probably never been over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on a weekend (making assumption). Especially during the warmer weather months (roughly May to October), unless you cross East extremely early Sat AM or relatively late Sat afternoon, you'll be in simply awful traffic . Sunday AM's would be more "doable" heading over, but then coming home Westward is a nightmare on Sunday afternoon. I think something like 60 trillion (+/- a few) folks head to the Shore/Beach every weekend during the fair weather days. Forget Friday PM's too, there you have beachgoers & daily work commuters heading home/east starting at about 1 pm.

Seriously though, welcome ahead of time to MD. :) Even with comically silly stupid gun laws & a generally toxic political environment, it really is a great place to live and work (despite the ruling majority's best efforts).
    Again, I really didn't wanna discourage you, but if you settle on the Western Shore, then weekend Eastern Shore options for ranges will require a little compromise and/or extra planning on your part. Other folks on here might be able to give some fantastic tips on finding that sweet spot in timing your Bay Bridge/Shore trips. It does loosen up a bunch after early-mid October usually, until it warms up again in late April or May. Personally I'd find a range on whatever side of the Bay you end up on.

BTW, as far as work commuting goes - everyone I know that works in AA Co and lives in QA, works some version of irregular hours so they can either telecommute, be off, or leave way early on Fridays to beat or eliminate the rush (summer peak rush hour on Fridays starts at about 1pm). Not trying to sway you either way, just would hate to see you find this out the hard way. Much luck.....

:) i was waiting for someone to bring this up!

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    Every single day.

an hour commute around the metro area, in some cases and at certain times, can be only 5-10 miles. When i lived in Silver Spring, i mostly worked downtown, exactly 11 miles from my house and it took me an an hour and 15 min to get home every day. And i got off at 2. It may be worth your while not to limit your home search. I live in Carroll County now and my commute is almost always 1-1/2 hours plus to my jobs, but i am so much happier out here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Herebouts , an hour commute is "normal" , and totally unremarkable. Hour and half is pretty common.

Two hours gets you officially to " long commute " . Still happens quite a bit. At that point it's a value judgement about the quality of life where you live .

The craziest I heard of was a 2hr commutehttps:/ between Glen Burnie and College Park . Struck me as pointless to commute that long between similar environments. A 2hr commute between Gettysburg and Gaithersburg , or between Shen Valley and Fairfax would at least have a point to it .

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    OP -The advice you're getting is all reasonable, so I won't chime in. I do, however, want to take a minute to say howdy. After you get here, please do get involved in supporting maryland 2A issues, like testifying before committees and what not. It is easy for a legiscritters to ignore an email, but less so a person standing talking to them. Gooduck with the move.

P.s. if you miss the ways back West after you get here, you can always go to Montgomery county to buy liquor. It is a county racket, and they scan your drivers license

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Strictly speaking, we already have two bridges, the 1952 span, and the 1973 span .

In 2004, Gov Bob formed a committe to study additional crossings. The report was issued in 2005. It listed 4 possibilities, but declined to make recomendations.

1. Baltimore to Kent Co
    2. Additional span current location.
    3. South AA or North Calvert to Worchester.
    4. South Calvert to Dorchester.

( My commentary ) #2 would be best probability to actually get approved to build .But the approach corridors are already close to capacity, and an up to 50% increase in bridge capacity would shift the choke point from the actual Bridge(s), the US 50, etc as a whole.

The other plans would totally transform the Eastern Shore county(s) in question into unregognizable developement and sprawl . Beachgoers from western shore would enjoy faster trips to Ocean City, But the particular Counties involved, and much of the Eastern Shore in general would fight this to the death. The current resident either actually farm ( as a verb) , or made delibert decisions to move to a slower paced rural area.

Construction workers and real estate speculators would welcome a finiancial windfall, but overwhelming of the rest would think that if they wanted to live in Silver Spring, they would be living there instead. They don't want Silver Spring to follow them, and replace their rural/ small town environment.

Welcome Op, there is a disparage between the shore and the western side of the state and the traffic sucks beyond all shadow of a doubt. Ive been running the bridge my whole life and have come to a few conclusions.
    Employment opportunities are on the western shore if your not into agriculture or self employed for the most part. What you need to consider is quality of life. When you take a bite of that apple, you must be prepared to deal with the pit at some point. Even with that being said there are plenty of options for finding a home site that will be suitable to meet your needs. What you really need to be prepared for is the difference in population density and the problems sometimes associated with them. I thank my stars every time I witness whats happening over there and just know that every time I get through the toll booth and to the center span, I'm home. Far from perfect here but I see the commuters all the time hauling ass towards fifty and just shake my head because in every one of them I see the decline of a beautiful area. I see the same on 495 and west of DC with the traffic. Every-bodies all dressed up and no place to go at least in a hurry is my observation. I cant figure out who's really winning regardless of the payout at the end of the week.
    As far as the bridge goes, I hope that dam thing falls down and another one? I'd rather be long gone before I see that happen. But it will one day, the climate is beginning to change slowly now. Right now all you get is the eastern shores gift to you, a free ride home and three lanes to do it in if your lucky. Enjoy your time in MD. and welcome. Its not too all that bad I guess, or I wouldn't be here.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Welcome to MD. It's not all bad here. Without being too nosey, what is your price point for a house? If you can go into the $450K range, there are many decent choices along the US 29 corridor in NE Montgomery and SE Howard Counties as well. If you're going North to MD 32 it is against the bulk of traffic. The 32 can get slow, but that is just how it is around here. Many who work at Ft. Meade live in that area.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    OP -The advice you're getting is all reasonable, so I won't chime in. I do, however, want to take a minute to say howdy. After you get here, please do get involved in supporting maryland 2A issues, like testifying before committees and what not. It is easy for a legiscritters to ignore an email, but less so a person standing talking to them. Gooduck with the move.

I'm a member of the NRA and will join MSI as soon as we move and have an MD address. I can't vote for another few years until I get my citizenship, but there are other things one can do to make sure the constitution and 2A rights are respected.

P.s. if you miss the ways back West after you get here, you can always go to Montgomery county to buy liquor. It is a county racket, and they scan your drivers license

Seriously? Do they log what you buy too? That's ridiculous. Just read up on that, and it sounds like Somerset, Worcester and Wicomico are the same. Elsewhere in MD you can't buy alcohol at grocery stores per state law, but can buy from private liquor stores? Is that correct? It has been nice being able to buy beer, wine and liquor at grocery stores in NM, but the standalone private liquor stores always tended to have better selection anyway.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Herebouts , an hour commute is "normal" , and totally unremarkable. Hour and half is pretty common.

Two hours gets you officially to " long commute " . Still happens quite a bit. At that point it's a value judgement about the quality of life where you live .

The craziest I heard of was a 2hr commutehttps:/ between Glen Burnie and College Park . Struck me as pointless to commute that long between similar environments. A 2hr commute between Gettysburg and Gaithersburg , or between Shen Valley and Fairfax would at least have a point to it .

An hour is completely doable. I used to commute about an hour and 20 minutes door to door in my last city before moving to NM where I worked from home. That was a mix of subway and walking, so at least I could tune out and read the newspaper, plus got some exercise.

A two hour car commute between Glen Burnie and College Park just sounds like the definition of soul-crushing though. Two hours to cover less than 30 miles? No thanks.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Welcome to MD. It's not all bad here. Without being too nosey, what is your price point for a house? If you can go into the $450K range, there are many decent choices along the US 29 corridor in NE Montgomery and SE Howard Counties as well. If you're going North to MD 32 it is against the bulk of traffic. The 32 can get slow, but that is just how it is around here. Many who work at Ft. Meade live in that area.

Yeah, $450k is too high for us. We're first-time home buyers, with a max budget under $300k.

Luckily, we found a nice place within that budget in the Arnold area this weekend, put in an offer and it was accepted! It's not a detached home, but still a fair size and a beautiful home. During our viewing, my wife and I spotted a 4-to-6 rifle gun safe in a bedroom closet, so maybe it's a sign that was the one. Haha. It's not ours yet, pending all the legal stuff, but chances are pretty good we've found our new home in MD.

To any MDS members in that part of AA county, a warm hello from your (soon-to-be) newest neighbor!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Congradulations, not bad . Had an offspring go to school in that area, spent sometime in the area.

Your are convenient to the prefered MSI meeting place of late. During the General Assembly season , you can drop by in minutes.

Get on the Waiting List for AA Fish& Game now, it is just around the corner.

Pick & choose your timing to avoid the backups, and short hop over the bay bridge to Eastern Shore . In shooting related context, this means ( a little over an hour ? ) to Delmarva Sporting Clays , to get your long range rifle fix .

For when you have need/ reason to go to a big city for whatever ( major hospital , go to opera, big league sports ) you have equal access to both DC and Balt.

I'm use to random independ carry outs and convence stores having slightly overpriced beer, and a real liquor store ( private owned) practically on every corner.

Rc29b1

Jul 24, 2017
    Kent island
    I wouldn't move to pg county if u can help it. Like previous posters have said, next to baltimore it probably has the most violent crime in maryland, although there are "nice looking areas". AA county is a step up but still falls under the same boat depending on where you live. AA county is also host to the state capital, annapolis. Which at first glance is a quaint waterfront town, but also there is a ton of crime that you wont see just by visiting. QA. Is where i live now. Less crime and is cheaper than AA and PG by lot. But if u have to commute over the bridge it might be a deal breaker during the summer.
    Theyre less ranges out here cause most people shoot on there own land. But the range i usually shoot at is about an hour and 5 min from the bay bridge called delmarva sporting clays. Anyways good luck! But for real i would stay away from pg county.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom