• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Push for legislation repealling strict gun control laws and stopping new legislation for more gun control.........as we have been doing.

Lots of our politicians have been operating and passing bills on a premise of a collective right for years, this could (but is unlikely to) confirm that, and then it is buisness as usual. When it goes our way, most likely it will merely open up most states and even .gov to lawsuits over gun bans over the next couple decades, untill we get an unfavorable ruling on something else (like lead in ammo) or until supreme court rulings are deemed as irrelevant to our reps as the constitutiopn itself.

BraveUlysses

Apr 26, 2008
    Well this sucks! While we wait I have a quick question.

What if a person is convicted and incarserated for committing a crime that is later ruled to be unconstitutional? Does he get let out of prison?
    :confused:

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Well this sucks! While we wait I have a quick question.

What if a person is convicted and incarserated for committing a crime that is later ruled to be unconstitutional? Does he get let out of prison?
    :confused:

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I think I remember a case where the supreme court ruled on some type of evidence case and a lot of inmates got released because of the decision.

Now as I understand it, if a law is made and then repealed (by the legislature, not the courts) then the people convicted under the law are still to be imprisioned. An example is the '94 assault weapon ban. I am pretty sure that if someone was convicted of violating the ban they can not get out because it was valid law at the time.

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    Duh......

Supreme Court Gun Ban Ruling Expected Tomorrow
    The U.S. Supreme Court today did not release its long-awaited ruling on whether the District's handgun ban violates the Second Amendment. That means the potentially landmark decision will almost certainly come tomorrow morning when the court is planning to issue the last of its rulings for the term. The case, District of Columbia v. Heller, which was argued nearly four months ago, could settle the decades-old debate over whether the Second Amendment grants individuals the right to own firearms.

Mayor Adrain M. Fenty is planning to hold a news conference at the John A. Wilson Building after the decision is announced

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I think I remember a case where the supreme court ruled on some type of evidence case and a lot of inmates got released because of the decision.

Now as I understand it, if a law is made and then repealed (by the legislature, not the courts) then the people convicted under the law are still to be imprisioned. An example is the '94 assault weapon ban. I am pretty sure that if someone was convicted of violating the ban they can not get out because it was valid law at the time.

Since I think DC has a one year max for having an unregistered handgun, I would think only a few are in jail at the moment.
    I wonder about their records being expunged though.

By the way, as I understand it if the legislature repeals a law I think they can also make the repeal retroactive with the same bill thereby exonerating people convicted of violating the repealed law.....but don't hold me to that.

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    Come on, come on!!
    scratchhead.gif
    rubbinghands.gif
    PanicSmiley.gif

If it's a good day, we'll open an 85 Chatue Margeaux.

Release the Hounds, too. ["The have to be Hooounds..." ] Ha d three Dachshunds growing up, in all three sizes, short haired, red - woof!

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    What's the champagne brotha! I'm going for a Bollinger Grand Anne '95 if we get a good decision.

Yoshi,

I took another look at our basement wine rack. What we have is a Moet & Chandon White Star Champagne. There is no year stamped (can you say “Gallo Hearty Burgundy" in the gallon jugs?), so I suspect its swill. As I recall, I inherited it after a party, put it away, and just forgot about it.

Oh well, WTF. If Heller goes our way I just might open it anyway tonight out on the Bay while we’re trolling for rockfish. Either that, or I’ll open up a couple Warsteiners.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    If Mayor Fenty holds a press conference at the Wilson Bldg, I will have to go over the hear the sad story. The Wilson bldg is next door to my office. I just wish I had a MD Shooters T-shirt with me to wear.:party29:

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    If Mayor Fenty holds a press conference at the Wilson Bldg, I will have to go over the hear the sad story. The Wilson bldg is next door to my office. I just wish I had a MD Shooters T-shirt with me to wear.:party29:

You could always print out some flyers and hand them out! :)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I can't wait to hear Fenty's speech, probably will contain a lot of language about hope and change, the new motto of inner city slum lords across the country:sad20:

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Even if they "split the baby in half" and say that its an indvidual right subject to restrictions, I'm sure that idiot Febty is still going to whine, claim that its a bad day for "the children", and maybe even throw a temper tantrum. :lol2:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom