• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I'm sorry, what?

I have a pair of Navy carrier deck ear cups that I happened to find among my effects soon after I left the service (ahem). Those and foam plugs will make me nearly impervious to loud noises.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    personally I like the foam ear plugs that are attached to a rigid semi-circular piece of plastic. They seem to help them stay in place and I can throw them over my rearview mirror and don't have to wonder where they are. The ear muff types always bother me; either they are cold as ice in winter or they make my ears sweat in summer, and they always seem to get in my way.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I shoot outdoors and use the electronic Peltor Sport-Tac muffs, (around $100). I also have the electronic Caldwell E-MAX muffs, (around $25). The Caldwell E-MAX cut-out from loud noises for about 1 sec. The Peltor's cut out for about .25 sec. I'm not sure it's worth $75 more, but they are better. I sometimes shoot IDPA and I need to hear instructions. For indoors I have plain muffs and ear buds I double up on.

Edit: They both make cheek weld somewhat difficult. Recently for Trap I find I keep my left ear covered with the Peltor's and an ear bud in my right ear, (yes I wear the muffs cock-eyed across my head). With only buds in both ears I can't hear any outside instructions.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    No matter how many plugs earmuffs i put on. I can still hear my wifes whining. Oops wrong thread.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    personally I like the foam ear plugs that are attached to a rigid semi-circular piece of plastic. They seem to help them stay in place and I can throw them over my rearview mirror and don't have to wonder where they are. The ear muff types always bother me; either they are cold as ice in winter or they make my ears sweat in summer, and they always seem to get in my way.

I have the same type. They allow you to hear peoples conversation and although you can hear the gun it's not overpowering. It is at a volume I can tolerate at the firing range. These headphones are so comfortable I forget to take them off when they call for the line to be cold and sometimes I forgot that I have them on when I leave the range.

Those 70 style stereo headphones are terrible for me in both weight and knowing something is sitting on my head as I am consciously aware of it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I double-up (foam ear plugs and ear muff style).....'cause I wanna hear clearly when I'm a geezer.

:thumbsup:

When casually target shooting, 'doubling up' hearing protection is the way to go. This was required at some training I attended a few years back. I've continued the practice as much as possible.

No hearing protection is the primary reason a lot of vets can't hear so good. When doing certain drills (and reality), it is critical that you can hear what's going on, so a lot of folks go without hearing protection.

There are some NATO / USArmy plugs that offer the best of both worlds- best protection for training, and minimal protections (~22dB-ish) that let you hear and do mission, but protect hearing.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-peltor-indoor-outdoor-range-hearing-protection.html

~$25 when I bought them, many years ago. Now $12 from Midway USA!

453211.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=453211

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    +1 on Peltor Sporttac. The quality of the mic's and the ADSR curve of the limiter is vastly superior to any other headset I've used. Everything sounds so natural you can forget you have them on - gunshots don't make it go dead for a second; the level comes back up as soon as the shot's report is over.

They're also pretty comfy, and pretty slim compared to many other, bulkier headsets. I personally haven't had any trouble shouldering a long gun, even my trap gun with the comb jacked up. They're not cheap, but buy once, cry once.

All that said, they don't have the largest SPL reduction out there (nor are they intended to be) - but that's what doubling up is for if you're shooting indoors, powerful rounds, etc.

FWIW, I make a living with my ears, so I do take this pretty seriously, and I'm confident with my Peltor Sporttacs for 99% of the shooting I do.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    +1 on Peltor Sporttac. The quality of the mic's and the ADSR curve of the limiter is vastly superior to any other headset I've used. Everything sounds so natural you can forget you have them on - gunshots don't make it go dead for a second; the level comes back up as soon as the shot's report is over.

They're also pretty comfy, and pretty slim compared to many other, bulkier headsets. I personally haven't had any trouble shouldering a long gun, even my trap gun with the comb jacked up. They're not cheap, but buy once, cry once.

All that said, they don't have the largest SPL reduction out there (nor are they intended to be) - but that's what doubling up is for if you're shooting indoors, powerful rounds, etc.

FWIW, I make a living with my ears, so I do take this pretty seriously, and I'm confident with my Peltor Sporttacs for 99% of the shooting I do.

I have to say that I've had mine since the middle of April and I haven't changed the batteries yet. I've used them most every weekend.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I have to say that I've had mine since the middle of April and I haven't changed the batteries yet. I've used them most every weekend.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that - the battery life is absurd. I have yet to change the batteries on mine either, and I've had them for I think about a year. That said, I only have them on for a few hours a week, and that's on a good week, but it still adds up.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    so how do you select the proper size of the surefire plugs?

I guessed with the first pair, they didn't fit the way I liked. I think I am using the med or large.
    EP3-sizing-FINAL.jpg

Dave, ah, I see what you mean now, that's a great idea, will try inside&out suppressed noise, but open normal sound.

Thx!

They work pretty good. Same concept as the ones you mentioned using. Those have a hole in them to allow some sound to come through on one side and the other side is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom