• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSPkid

Sep 24, 2008
    Severna Park
    I have decided that my next purchase is going to be a HD Shotgun. This will be my first shotgun and I'm having trouble deciding between the Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500. This will be strictly for HD so I will not be attaching a scope. Is there that much of a difference between the Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500 that is worth the extra $150? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks:party29:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    590A1 Talo SPX. Its worth the $500 to 600. Awesome sights, ported barrel. Who cares about the bayo.

pix542897500.jpg

This one is on its way to me to replace my aging 590 20" 9 shot with ghost sights.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    is it really 150$ difference, I got this at Dicks on sale. when i priced em out woth the sale it was oly like $30 difference. see mine in the thread below

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=20487

i put a knoxx stock on, and 00 buck is fine to shoot. wth the factory stock i had a black and blue shoulder

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    jimbob that is real sweet man, if you ever want to get rid off it let me know:innocent0

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just keep in mind, the most forgotten peice of equipment to go with that fancy new shotgun, and would be a sling.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Hehehe lets not distract from the post, only reason I put it up there is its one of those times to decide if you want basic or a BMW. When I bought my 590 used I wanted an A1 but compromised, you should get the gun you want now. If its the Mossy as opposed to the Maverick that should be what you do.

No worries sling will come as soon as it gets here (Tuesday?), infact I need to put a speed feed stock on it when I stumble across one cheap enough. That is one of my chief complaints about my 930 SPX no front sling mount from the factory.

Looking at the 590 I dont think you can do a bayo and a sling, but I dont care the bayo is just window dressing and will probably never be mounted again.

Shots Fired

May 13, 2009
    Sparks, MD
    Think about the following...
    maximum range that you will be defending yourself in the home.
    availability of accessories, multi-use potential (extra barrels), simplicity of operation. Get the facts on other Tac shotguns to look at as well. I like the new Benelli Super Nova. It has the ability to bypass the magazine for a situational ammo change (slug, buckshot, #4...) The Mossberg has a fixed tube, while the Remington 870, while a bit more expensive, has the ability to upgrade without a gunsmith. Sights are very important on a shotgun as well. Under 7 yards, a shotgun is basically a rifle with a broken bullet. The shot pattern does not begin to open up until then. Past 20-23 yards a "rifle approach" is in order once more as only a few pellets will contact your target. Patterning a shotgun is just as important as sighting in a rifle. Keep checking www.shotsfiredonline.com and the calendar on this forum, as I will be planning a Shotgun as a Defensive Firearm class very soon. would love to have you aboard.

TPCaudill

Feb 10, 2009
    Lanham, MD
    One thing you might want to look at is the position of the safety. On the maverick its on the trigger guard. On the 500 its on the tang. I got a 500A and decided to put a knoxx stock on and it makes the safety almost impossible to reach.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Great Thread!!! i'm in the exact same boat as you. My next purchase will be a HD shotgun. Same here just want the stock model, no bell & whistles, no folding this, no collapable that, no extra kung fu grip or self loading that....just a good old fashion shottie. I'm looking at the 870's!

maybe my next shottie I will tacticalize

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Telling ya, shoot my 870.

It is a killer set-up: VTAC sling. Hogue fore end. Knoxx Compstock. Bead sight.

I would sign up for a tactical shotgun class in a heartbeat.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    Let me give you something else to think about. Most people can't shoot pumpguns without jamming (short stroking) them quite often. If you did ever have to use it as a HD gun, given that your stress level would be up about 500%, you will either short stroke it or forget to pump it. Now the gun is worthless. With the exception of FOX's 870, you are talking about the cheapest POS pumps you can buy. If you really want a HD shotgun, wouldn't you want a good gun that goes bang and is much less likely to jam? Consider a used Remington 1100 Skeet gun. Add an extended mag with the appropriate spring & follower and you are good to go. A bead sight is all you need and works best on any shotgun. Unless you are shooting slugs at well over 50 yards, you don't shoot a shotgun like a rifle.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I have always wondered how big the difference is between my mossberg 500 and a maverick,this weekend I got to hold one right next to the other at Jacks Gun Works in Havre de Grace and the mossberg 500 did seem bigger because it had a larger barrel and magazine but that can differ between which 500 you go with I believe,the safety was in a different spot and the 88 seemed a bit lighter again probably because of the barrel and magazine. I really dont know the difference but I prefer my 500 because the magazine goes right out to the end of the longer barrel allowing for maximum magazine capacity and I have gotten used to that weight and it feels comfortable to me. I know people think the 500's are cheap but in my experience compared to the 870 my friend had mine would shoot anything and extract perfectly and his 870 would as well but when we used reloads his would often get stuck in the chamber and rip part of the rim off forcing him to have to rod it out or the shell would lodge in the chamber holding the extractor and he would have to hold the forward grip and hit the butt against the ground to extract the shell. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 870 has only one extractor as opposed to the 500 having one on each side and the 500's chamber seems a little looser allowing it to extract reloads much easier. When you reload shotgun shells it can widen them a bit and when they are fired they expand into the chamber and on some shotguns this causes problems.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    The only experience I have had with a maverick is picking one up here or there at a gun store BTW, I like the mossberg 500 and the 870 but for reasons stated above I will go against the majority and go with the 500 I think. My memory is hazy so dont quote me on what kind of extractor the 870 has but if somebody has one please set me straight on this and if anyone here shoots reloads through one speak up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom