• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Given the fact that the MGA is being pushed to end the session early due to the ********, this may be a good thing for all of the gun bills that have not crossed the finish line. At least for this year. I would be happy to see the MGA call it quits for the year.... say early this week.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Given the fact that the MGA is being pushed to end the session early due to the ********, this may be a good thing for all of the gun bills that have not crossed the finish line. At least for this year. I would be happy to see the MGA call it quits for the year.... say early this week.

What about the children?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I thought I heard on the radio that the session wouldn't really end it'd just be put on pause. I assume that means all bills would sort of freeze at their current status til they reconvened.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I thought I heard on the radio that the session wouldn't really end it'd just be put on pause. I assume that means all bills would sort of freeze at their current status til they reconvened.

Hmm. I wonder if that would extend Sine Die, or if they'd just have a really abbreviated last week? They already play games with the definition of "day", with multiple legislative days occurring in a single calendar day to short-circuit the "cooling down" periods between readers.

OTOH if Sine Die is still 6 April, then a General Assembly recess is a good thing for all the citizens of MD. Fewer legislative days, less damage done to the state.

I remember reading somewhere a session can be extended, but even that extended session would have a hard stop of 6 May.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    What about the children?

:lol2: You are cracking me up over here!

Think Atterbeary would be rolling around on the ground, kicking and screaming like the petulant child she is???

No doubt about it. She would be pushing for it again next year.

I have heard hints of both. I think that we are in uncharted territory so I am curious to see how this session pans out. Everyone is in scare mode right now. I hoping that works to our advantage.

Hmm. I wonder if that would extend Sine Die, or if they'd just have a really abbreviated last week? They already play games with the definition of "day", with multiple legislative days occurring in a single calendar day to short-circuit the "cooling down" periods between readers.

OTOH if Sine Die is still 6 April, then a General Assembly recess is a good thing for all the citizens of MD. Fewer legislative days, less damage done to the state.

I remember reading somewhere a session can be extended, but even that extended session would have a hard stop of 6 May.

I have my popcorn out and tuning in. I am sure that someone will post word once something is confirmed.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Yes, the whole "recessed" versus "adjourned" game. For example, the Senate is currently adjourned, but the House is recessed. Recessed allows them to remain on the same legislative day. The House ran three sets of proceedings on two different calendar days (Thurs & Fri) all for the same legislative day (3/10).

The Sine Die comes based on Calendar day (being 90 consecutive calendar days from the open of the regular session), so the show this year ends on 4/6 UNLESS:

1) they extend it (resolution with 3/5's of each house) for another 30 days as provided by Article III, Section 15(1).
    2) If it is not extended, then the session is adjourned. That takes us into the whole Special Session topic. The Governor would need to call a Special Session (Article II, Section 16) or be petitioned by majorities of both House & Senate to do so (Article III, Section 14). A Special Session is convened to deal with a specific purpose and may continue for up to 30 calendar days.

If I got something wrong, please correct it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The governor can also reconvene a "special session"

Typing at the same time, I got beat to the submit button

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    The governor can also reconvene a "special session"

Yes. I cannot find anything in the MD constitution that talks about reconvening. Since there is no limit to the number of special sessions in the MD Constitution, there would not need to be, right? Most recently, we had two special sessions in 2012 (one in May and one in August).

The thing with special sessions is the constitution does have a built-in semi-limiting factor in Article III Section 15(1): "but no additional compensation other than mileage and other allowances provided by law shall be paid members of the General Assembly for special session."

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    1) they extend it (resolution with 3/5's of each house) for another 30 days.
    2) If it is not extended, then the session is adjourned. The Governor would need to call a Special Session or be petitioned by majorities of both House & Senate to do so. A Special Session is convened to deal with a specific purpose and may continue for up to 30 calendar days.

I can't imagine the Governor would want to prolong his pain by calling a special session. Other than the budget, I don't think he has any "must pass" bills.

Extending the session is a significant risk we, and anyone else who cares about the state, face. If the Party decides it wants to extend, it has the votes, and there's not anything that can be done to stop it.

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    Hey fellas,
    3. quick questions

1. If someone had completed an 80%, and "personally" serialized PRIOR to the passing of the bill, would that be suffice? I'm pretty sure the answer is NO.

2. If the answer to #1 is NO, then how would that affect any currently owned suppressors that were "personally" serialized, approved, and manufactered on a Form 1 prior to the passing of the bill? do you have to destroy these builds because they do not have "FFL" engraved serial number?

3. How would this affect future form 1 builds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom